SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much all guidance is aligned now, SREFS, RGEM, GFS, EC, UKMET, 0z NAM, NOGAPS... versus 6z NAM

oh and the new 3z SREFS look the same as the 21z and do not hint as something like the NAM. Its a fluke run.

I would be worried about the 6Z NAM since it is the first 6Z run of all the models to come out and has the latest info. It also led the way at 18Z yesterday in depicting the stronger ULL with colder temps and better track for DC. The other models followed suit, more or less. The GFS looks like it shifted a lil for the worse too.

I would be worried about the 6Z NAM since it is the first 6Z run of all the models to come out and has the latest info. It also led the way at 18Z yesterday in depicting the stronger ULL with colder temps and better track for DC. The other models followed suit, more or less. The GFS looks like it shifted a lil for the worse too.

06z GFS keeps the snow chugging along like it has been, albeit slightly less in our area and slightly further S in SNE.

Snow track has been very slowly taken on a more easterly component (vs NE), but snow for most of our area has been pretty consistent.

This is the money shot from the LWX discussion:

IN TERMS OF ANY POSSIBLE ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL FOR THE

REGION...TEMPS ON WED AFTN /JUST BEFORE AND DURING THE FIRST PORTION

OF THIS SECOND WAVE/ WILL BE RISING A FEW DEGREES ABOVE FREEZING.

THE PIEDMONT AND COASTAL AREAS ESPECIALLY ARE EXPECTED TO SEE TEMPS

CLIMBING INTO THE M-U30S FOR A FEW HRS...MAKING RAINFALL A

POSSIBILITY ACROSS THESE AREAS AND LIMITING THE POTENTIAL TOTAL

SNOWFALL. THEN ANOTHER GRADUAL CHANGEOVER TO MOSTLY OR ALL SNOW IS

EXPECTED TO TAKE PLACE INTO THE EVE-LATE NIGHT HRS WED FROM WEST TO

EAST. ACCUMULATING SNOWS WOULD BE MORE LIKELY ALONG THE BACKEDGE OF

THE PRECIP SHIELD ASSOCIATED W/ THE UPPER LOW. HOLDING OFF ON A

WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE AREA BECAUSE OF THE EXPECTATION FOR RAIN

AND WET SURFACES TO CUT DOWN ON SNOW ACCUMULATION OVER THE COURSE OF

THE EVENT /MAINLY ON WED/.

That is certainly a conservative read on the modeling we saw last night from the NAM through the Euro, but, there is frankly no rush to put up a watch this AM. They can wait and see what the 12Z guidance says and hoist one this afternoon if the models do what they did last night and still have plenty of time to put people on notice.

And, after last night, I am sure we will all be keenly interested to see that suite hold.

This is the money shot from the LWX discussion:

That is certainly a conservative read on the modeling we saw last night from the NAM through the Euro, but, there is frankly no rush to put up a watch this AM. They can wait and see what the 12Z guidance says and hoist one this afternoon if the models do what they did last night and still have plenty of time to put people on notice.

And, after last night, I am sure we will all be keenly interested to see that suite hold.

This.

Tomorrow afternoon would be the dicey part travel wise so they have time. :popcorn:

One other thing on the LWX discussion, they led with this:

.NEAR TERM /TODAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --THX TO ALL OFFICES FOR MUCH COORDINATION TNGT.

Which means they certainly raised their eyebrows collectively over that run but as a group around the region clearly voted to wait and see if it holds this morning and to see if they could get better guidance on where the rain/snow line will set up and what to put in the watches (if any).

I totally agree with LWX holding off hoisting any watches. Way too many variables still. Can't cry wolf too many more times and be expected to be listened to. This is almost a double thread-the-needle situation. Would be prudent to wait.

Also, general question: Don't ULLs typically track a little further north than modeled even a few hours out? I seem to recall this in past storms, but I would defer to someone who actually knows.

Do they ever do studies on the gained benefit of a WSW vs. WWA vs. nothing? Is the public helped at all or does it just cause bread and milk panic?

Come on now, of course it is to help the public. 99.99% of the world doesn't obsess over modeling and the changeability of forecasts like the zealots on this board do. So they need to tread carefully when issuing watches and warnings, and they are here. Given the complicated nature of this storm and how easy we could miss in any of a variety of ways, waiting until mid-afternoon today to make the next move is certainly defensible and, frankly, prudent.

I totally agree with LWX holding off hoisting any watches. Way too many variables still. Can't cry wolf too many more times and be expected to be listened to. This is almost a double thread-the-needle situation. Would be prudent to wait.

Also, general question: Don't ULLs typically track a little further north than modeled even a few hours out? I seem to recall this in past storms, but I would defer to someone who actually knows.

I highly suggest you read through the thread to the comments of Wes and Baroclinic as last night's runs unfolded. It's all there. Per their comments, there is good reason to think this will dump appreciable snow across the area. Doesn't mean it will, but that this set-up has a real chance.

One heck of slug of moisture down in the gulf and heading northeast. Also see moisture developing NC/SC boarder around Myrtle Beach/Wilmington.

Am I wrong, or do we not care about that? Most of the precip from the coastal will miss us to the east and any that gets in here would be rain for us. All of our fantasy snow comes from the ULL.

Thanks, bud! Nothing else to do on my way to work!

I assume you are five-posted, so hopefully it as at an end. And, since you are so unbelieveably lazy you can't bother to read last night's pretty damn decent discussion on this here thread, here is what Usedtobe (Wes) said as it unfolded about the ULL:

Wes said:

The 500h low closes off so far south it would be tough to have it get much farther north at our latitude (I think but of course could be wrong).

Doesn't mean it will come off like modeled last night, but there are apparently good reasons why it might.

Should be ok for posters to raise legit questions and observations about the evolving situation. 0z suite was great, but those runs will be obsolete later this morning. It still remains a thread the needle scenario for higher accumulations.

Raise legit quesitons? What he raised was addressed in this thread by red taggers last night, and easily accessible if he reads. It's like clockwork with him, and designed to either have someone hold his hand or otherwise to irritate. Either way, it sucks to start each morning reading his crap.

Heck, re: his "am I wrong" bit above, the LWX discussion clearly addresses that.

Am I wrong, or do we not care about that? Most of the precip from the coastal will miss us to the east and any that gets in here would be rain for us. All of our fantasy snow comes from the ULL.

I care about real weather and the storm development. Models had Low Pressure along the Gulf Coast and moisture along SC/NC boarder. All am saying is I think these are positive signs when I look 'out my window'. I will worry about H5 vort latter.

I care about real weather and the storm development. Models had Low Pressure along the Gulf Coast and moisture along SC/NC boarder. All am saying is I think these are positive signs when I look 'out my window'. I will worry about H5 vort latter.

I guess the questions for your last two posts would be 1) why does it matter, and 2) is what you posted adding any pertinent information to the discussion?

All this morning I've heard on the TV is that the accumulating snow portion of the storm will be coming tomorrow afternoon. Is there any time frame.Should I be making plans to leave work early to head from Rosedale back to Eldersburg where I live,if it comes during evening rush hour?

I guess the questions for your last two posts would be 1) why does it matter, and 2) is what you posted adding any pertinent information to the discussion?

k...bust my balls. It is ok. Since all the other posts in this 10 day thread have been pertinent to the discussion.

I am just making a point, and maybe it is not relative but at least it has to do with the storm, that what I observe on radar is matching what the models are forecasting for this timeframe.

k...bust my balls. It is ok. Since all the other posts in this 10 day thread have been pertinent to the discussion.

I am just making a point, and maybe it is not relative but at least it has to do with the storm, that what I observe on radar is matching what the models are forecasting.

K have fun.

EDIT: Also not saying that their posts are any better... at least they're talking about our region.

First call map

From Justin Berk's Facebook: http://www.facebook....315.54875673475

Literally posted less than a page ago. Please read through the recent posts.

Raise legit quesitons? What he raised was addressed in this thread by red taggers last night, and easily accessible if he reads. It's like clockwork with him, and designed to either have someone hold his hand or otherwise to irritate. Either way, it sucks to start each morning reading his crap.

Heck, re: his "am I wrong" bit above, the LWX discussion clearly addresses that.

No doubt that poster is irritating and predictable. Just noting that the 0z suite won't mean anything after today's runs. 6z nam and gfs could certainly reverse at 12z or later, but these are all simulated outcomes until the actual weather hits.

Archived