SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MBY is directly under the frontolysis - I should set my sights on about an inch.

HOWEVER - I am honored to take one straight up the ass for the Team - IF the team gets to have a foot of fresh snow ;)

Frontogenesis means "birth of a front" and frontolysis is the breakdown of a front--and it is typically measured in degrees K/(hour*100km). One thing to be REAL careful with is the development of a frontal zone, from a baroclinic sense, means the atmosphere is increasing the thermal graident along the front due to atmospheric imbalances. The atmosphere responds by trying to "balance" out the imbalance--what is called a thermally direct circulation. What the atmosphere will do is try to balance it out through the motion of atmospheric air parcels as well as through precipitation processes. Heavy qpf is one way to "weaken" a frontal circulation and to create atmospheric balance. The frontolysis on that chart may very well be heavy precip falling through the frontal zone and cooling that layer--resulting in a brief weaking of the front. Vertical forcing/ascent must also be used in conjunction with frontogenesis/frontolysis charts.

6-1 is not absurd at all depending on the thermal profile and a number of other factors. Yes to start for DC--and it could very well remain that to areas just SE on the dividing line of significantly higher ratios. Unfortunately a huge number of factors come into play regarding snow ratios since it is accumulated snow/liquid water. One could have extremely high ratios aloft but then a shallow melting layer which compacts wet snow into a slush giving relatively low snow ratios, for instance.

i understand what you're saying but in these situations you're likely to get some sort of banding and ull's tend to produce fluffier snow as they snow over you. i've been thru enough around here and up the coast to see it. sure 6-1 is possible especially if you stay in light/mod snow but as a general rule im not sure it's useful unless you want to downplay the event... which is generally wise around here as well. let's talk again tomorrow as it's setting up... until then it's all theoretical.

i understand what you're saying but in these situations you're likely to get some sort of banding and ull's tend to produce fluffier snow as they snow over you. i've been thru enough around here and up the coast to see it. sure 6-1 is possible especially if you stay in light/mod snow but as a general rule im not sure it's useful unless you want to downplay the event... which is generally wise around here as well. let's talk again tomorrow as it's setting up... until then it's all theoretical.

Yeah I know--just making sure you weren't suggesting 6-1 is an unrealistic value. For the record I believe a higher value is likely with the increased shift NW of the UL--and the 6-1 was a low end value with a farther displaced Se upper low and a deep isothermal layer like earlier runs suggested.

DC and west is money - That region is PRICELESS. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows this. Posters who had the insight to move to those western DC suburbs will be staying up for three days straight as crazy heavy snow will crush them utterly TO DEATH. Those communities are about to get Belmar'ed like on Boxing Day.

I'm SOUTH. I'm going to use my noggin on this one. I know where I live. I am going to set my sights on 1 to 3 inches from this. I will be extremely MIXY throughout.

I don't give a d@mn if we have model consensus across every model known to meteorological science and they ALL declare 36 inches in northern VA.

I REFUSE to believe I get more than 1-2 inches. I will not have my heart broken again.

I spent my life running my big fat mouth about snow and cold and I DESERVE my fate - I will never be moving an INCH north or west from Dale City. If I get to move anywhere, it will be to Miami FLORIDA. I don't even get to VISIT west DC let alone move there in this lifetime or the next 99999999999999999999999999999999999 billion years.

This storm has got its eyes SET on DC WEST and then points NE.

DC and west is money - That region is PRICELESS. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows this. Posters who had the insight to move to those western DC suburbs will be staying up for three days straight as crazy heavy snow will crush them utterly TO DEATH. Those communities are about to get Belmar'ed like on Boxing Day.

I'm SOUTH. I'm going to use my noggin on this one. I know where I live. I am going to set my sights on 1 to 3 inches from this.

I don't give a d@mn if we have model consensus across every model known to meteorological science and they ALL declare 36 inches in northern VA.

I REFUSE to believe I get more than 1-2 inches. I will not have my heart broken again.

I spent my life running my big fat mouth about snow and cold and I DESERVE my fate - I will never be moving an INCH north or west from Dale City. If I get to move anywhere, it will be to Miami FLORIDA. I don't even get to VISIT west DC let alone move there in this lifetime or the next 99999999999999999999999999999999999 billion years.

This storm has got its eyes SET on DC WEST and then points NE.

Always entertaining, hope you get a good Jebwalk out of this :snowman:

I think its pretty much a lock that most of us should be under watches in about 3 hours...I hope we can put the brakes on any trending one way or the other at this point...I'm not trying to be greedy and shoot for the stars here. We're already at a perfect thread the needle scenario.

I hope nobody starts cliff jumping when the models do the inevitable QPF cut backs...we should all be well versed in the drill....I was saying 2 to 4 earlier, but I think 3 to 6 is reasonable and more than any of us could have hoped for even 12 hours ago.

I think its pretty much a lock that most of us should be under watches in about 3 hours...I hope we can put the brakes on any trending one way or the other at this point...I'm not trying to be greedy and shoot for the stars here. We're already at a perfect thread the needle scenario.

I hope nobody starts cliff jumping when the models do the inevitable QPF cut backs...we should all be well versed in the drill....I was saying 2 to 4 earlier, but I think 3 to 6 is reasonable and more than any of us could have hoped for even 12 hours ago.

weren't you and me doing the same thing Randy 11 years ago right now? :)

here was my first post 7 days ago in the Psuhoffman thread

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Screw the Friday event. The storm for this time frame looks way better and has full model support...Gfs...euro...ggem...jma...

And...it's backed by Psuhoffman

I hope nobody starts cliff jumping when the models do the inevitable QPF cut backs...we

should all be well versed in the drill....I was saying 2 to 4 earlier, but I think 3 to 6 is reasonable and more than any of us could have hoped for even 12 hours ago.

I love how 3-6 is like cautious at this point lol... Wow how things have changed.

there is going to be a time where its drizzle/rain/wet snow mixed in...clouds breaking up a bit and the weenie suicides will be in full mass

if this was last yr ppl would have been all over this like 24 hrs ago

Archived