• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

I don't understand forecasts showing snow/ice to rain. The models have not shown that for a few days now. EIther we go rain to snow, get all rain, or just get all snow. Also, with lousy surface temps and cold upper layers I don't see much of an ice threat. Pretty bad when a random weenie can out-forecast these "professionals."

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand forecasts showing snow/ice to rain. The models have not shown that for a few days now. EIther we go rain to snow, get all rain, or just get all snow. Also, with lousy surface temps and cold upper layers I don't see much of an ice threat. Pretty bad when a random weenie can out-forecast these "professionals."

YES!!! My local forecast says just that....Models show just the opposite. Rain to snow.

Feb/ 2 was am awful storm if you lived in DC, but noone really cared cause the Big Dog was already being majorly hyped as being right around the corner.

Forecasts were for 3 to 6 inches and WSW were up, but the gradient across the city was among the steepest I have ever seen.

From about Columbia Heights-Adams Morgan south to the Potomac River there was maybe a half-inch accumulation on the grass and nothing on the pavement from that storm, despite constant snowfall from like 5 p.m. to midnight.

But I remember driving home that evening late and by the time you got to Upper Northwest there was a plowable 5 inches on everything.

Just something to think about for this storm if someone has to make a forecast and using that as a possible comparision. May want to make a special exclusion zone for much of the city if things look similar to that storm regards to temps, which seems like a strong possibility.

Got a good 4-4.5" out of that in upper NW. A nice little dynamic storm. It really came down for a few hours after 9 or 10 or so. As I recall, the rates were heavier than during the 1.30 event that dumped on Richmond. It would have been the event of the season during an embarassingly large number of winters recently. In 09-10, it barely registered.

Maybe the coldest SREF run yet.

Looks like about a 10-20mi shift southward in where the 0C surface line is during Wed evening/night. 850mb 0C line is actually a bit farther north midday Wednesday, but catches up and goes farther south than the 15z run by evening.

I don't know anything about DC TV Weathercasters, but how many are actually real meteorologists with a degree in Atmospheric Science or Meteorology? And no, an AMS seal means nothing.

Not sure but I expect that graphic to change if 0z NAM looks like the 18z

I don't know anything about DC TV Weathercasters, but how many are actually real meteorologists with a degree in Atmospheric Science or Meteorology? And no, an AMS seal means nothing.

Often think of that myself watching some of these forecasts. Don't know the answer, but I bet it is less than 50% nationwide. Sad.

Archived