SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that an actual location or is that named after you? The 6k mountain near DC?

Just a poor attempt at humor, my town is on a ridge that is about the highest elevations in this area. My apartment is at exactly 1000 ft and peaks along the ridge get up to around 1150 in some places just to my northeast and southwest. Its a nice added bonus for me in storms like this and helps out really nicely when temps are marginal. In truth the name is a bit of a knock off from eastern when Marcus used to call this area Mt. Vortmax.

Yeah, gonna call BS on those maps. 18z GFS was nice, but let's not get carried away. I think we have a decent shot at 2 to 4 at this point.

This.

2-4" would be a VERY good scenario, and folks shouldn't get super greedy because of one set of 18Z runs. Quite honestly these snow maps being produced are ridiculous--and snow falling from the sky doesn't equate to snow sticking on the ground or even the grass for that matter.

I don't know about those snow maps. here are the soundings at 48hrs and 54. the latter clearly is snow, the former rain. somewhere between the two times is the changeover. The srefs have been implying around 21Z.

post-70-0-53534300-1295907384.png

post-70-0-08566400-1295907400.png

All snow indeed--but that last sounding is deceiving since it has a, just guessing, 500 foot layer above freezing. Depends on how accurate we are taking these soundings, but taken as is--would be heavy wet snow mixed with light rain/snow if it let up.

I don't know about those snow maps. here are the soundings at 48hrs and 54. the latter clearly is snow, the former rain. somewhere between the two times is the changeover. The srefs have been implying around 21Z.

Wes, i have 3 hr increment gfs maps. Your correct on the timing, its right around hr 51, prob hr 52 or around 21 or 22z. From hr 48-51 dc gets .25 qpf as rain...hr 51-57 dc gets .75-1 qpf as frozen

I'll digress to Euro since I've had a chance to look at MOS and skewts for my location

in a nutshell, hrs. 60-66 starts as rain and then changes to snow so some unknown portion of .61" qpf is snow; unknown because they are 6-hour increments

hrs. 66-72 a total of .40" qpf falls as all snow

so, predictions by NAM or GFS showing 4-6" of snow around BWI are supported by the Euro fwiw

I'll digress to Euro since I've had a chance to look at MOS and skewts for my location

in a nutshell, hrs. 60-66 starts as rain and then changes to snow so some unknown portion of .61" qpf is snow; unknown because they are 6-hour increments

hrs. 66-72 a total of .40" qpf falls as all snow

so, predictions by NAM or GFS showing 4-6" of snow around BWI are supported by the Euro fwiw

So Ellinwood's first map of 4-8" from yesterday in our area is looking mighty impressive right about now :thumbsup: .

Archived