SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not letting myself get excited about it. I suspect that an eventual solution such as this is possible, but the memory of the runs prior to December 26 is too tangible.

I realize it's a completely different setup, but I'm still really hesitant to get excited. Good run, but it seems a bit anomalous.

Mt. Holly just removed all mention of "rain" from my forecast here in northern DE and replaced it with "snow/sleet"....it seems they think the storm will remain entirely frozen for me in one shape or another. I am not sure I buy that yet but things definitely have seemed to be progressing towards the cold side of results.

I hope some of the other models start picking up on lower temps so that we all cash in. Would love to see NYC/SNE also cut out of the precip as well.

QPF is extreme-- but its not far off from the ECWMF-- which has some lighter rains and then blasts the 500 low through with many of these same locations getting 1 inch in >12 hours.

the euro does put down some good numbers on just that 500 low especially back in western va. the nam is always crazy in its highest qpf zone tho it seems.

Usually read the AFD... I didn't this time.. Good catch. The forecast didn't match the AFD but agree on the watches for in the morning if the models hold overnight. Going to be interesting the next couple days.

Office AFD did say 4-6 with less east.

I'm not sure if they get the EC eval done before releasing those. If the models are similiar at 0z-- i expect watches hoisted, at least for the NRV> These 500 low events are tricky

Usually read the AFD... I didn't this time.. Good catch. The forecast didn't match the AFD but agree on the watches for in the morning if the models hold overnight. Going to be interesting the next couple days.

I'm pumped, we got the GFS< NAM AND EC all bringing the 500 low into a favorable spot. I'm not expecting an inch of QPF but I can see max areas getting .8 or so-- I really like 4-8 inches for our area.

Its a large 0.4-0.6 QPF shield, thats for sure. 10mm is about 0.4 QPF... and I am sure there is some 15mm's in there cause the range is 10-25mm

If that is all snow then that is certainly a good whopping of snow (especially this winter). I'm liking the looks of the models as of late.

looks like a big back end smackin to follow

Is that a technical wx term?

Jokes aside, given the setup it's almost hard to believe that the models are all coming around to a FAVORABLE solution for our area. My expectations have been muted but the track and placement of the H5 has kept me more than interested. Now ULL enegy is looking to help overcome the temp issues and obvious lack of cold air. The weenie term "manufacture it's own cold air" is in play here. Sure there will be some light N winds drawing in air from PA but the reality is the dynamics are looking to potentially give us a good thump.

Is that a technical wx term?

Jokes aside, given the setup it's almost hard to believe that the models are all coming around to a FAVORABLE solution for our area. My expectations have been muted but the track and placement of the H5 has kept me more than interested. Now ULL enegy is looking to help overcome the temp issues and obvious lack of cold air. The weenie term "manufacture it's own cold air" is in play here. Sure there will be some light N winds drawing in air from PA but the reality is the dynamics are looking to potentially give us a good thump.

softball i guess.

lwx discussion talked about lack of dynamics. they could be right but it's not every day you get an h5 like this.

This is an intersting snippet regarding the modeling of this system from the NWS NYC's afternoon AFD...........

"NOTE THAT NOAA WINTER RECONNAISSANCE IS BEING FLOWN FOR THIS

SYSTEM IN THE GULF OVERNIGHT. THESE CRITICAL OBSERVATIONS WILL GET

INCLUDED INTO TOMORROW'S 12Z AND SUBSEQUENT MODEL CYCLES. THUS

EXPECT THINGS TO BECOME CLEARER TOMORROW."

I was not aware they flew recons into winter storms

Nam looks great, hopefully trend stops here.

I think the "west" trend on the NAM is done, but I do think it will trend north a bit more. Models are all converging on a solution pretty close to the 12z Euro/UKMET solution. The ensembles have been pretty close to that solution for days now and have handled this consistently and well overall. The good news is that the euro has been running warm lately so the track and precip of the euro with a 1.5 degree adjustment downward gives a really nice result.

I think the "west" trend on the NAM is done, but I do think it will trend north a bit more. Models are all converging on a solution pretty close to the 12z Euro/UKMET solution. The ensembles have been pretty close to that solution for days now and have handled this consistently and well overall. The good news is that the euro has been running warm lately so the track and precip of the euro with a 1.5 degree adjustment downward gives a really nice result.

1-1.5 degrees... Celsius? :-) :-)

If DCA ends up with 4 or more inches of snow, we should name something permanetly after PSUHoffman.

Archived