• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

It's would be wise to stop focusing on the 2m and thermal profile of every model run. There is no obivious high to our NE to supply us with obvious cold air. A degree or two in any direction will have a large impact on the outcome. The models cannot be expected to have 25-50 mile accuracy of the surface temps and 850's when the source of cold is missing and the temps are marginal.

We can follow trends and make general predictions but it will come down to the event unfolding before the big winners and losers are determined.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally didn't mean it as an IMBY question, that's just the only elevations I know offhand. I am genuinely curious about what kind of elevation change impacts borderline events like this...in the abstract, even, rather than specific to Wednesday.

I don't think there's any good rule-of-thumb for how much elevation counts for how much change. It's just safe to say that "higher is better".

During a precip event, the lapse rate in the atmosphere (temp change with height) is probably somewhere between 5-6C/kilometer. That works out to be about 0.3F/100 ft. So, if you're 300ft higher, you're about 1F cooler. With borderline temps, that could be a big deal.

I just checked the GFS forecast soundings for the storm. Temps are actually pretty uniform in the lowest 500-1000ft. So, maybe even less of an effect than what it could be.

Very nice consistency among the 12z GFS ensemble members. They're all a bit faster and a bit farther east than the Op, leading to a colder/snowier solution. Ensemble mean looks to keep areas JUST north/west of I-95 all (or nearly all) frozen. 850mb 0C line looks to stay on or south of the cities for the duration of the precip, it's the surface temps that are the issue. Surface 0C line looks to get as far north/west as a Winchester/Hagerstown line, and then falls back.

Thats good to hear. I am sure we can deal with 34 degree wet snow

Derecho - I'm assuming that areas who could see 2-4 inches would not be snow the entire time? Rain, rain/snow, then snow at the end?

Possibly some rain and warm sfc temps.

Right now I would be more concerned about this going ots than too far inland.

I love where we're sitting back here in SW VA--

My blog has been updated to reflect a call of 4-8 inches. having nothing but a reputation at stake is good-- we have plenty of wiggle room for the late north trend since the ULL low snows start well over 100 miles to my S and SW. (According to the EC) * Noting that the north trend would be more like the NOT DIGGING as deep trend*

I suspect if the 0z data falls in line like the GFS/EC for our region, we go under watches tomorrow morning.

Archived