joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got an opinion on Howard County? Pretty much and adjacent western suburb of Bmore... I've wlays wondered whether to classify myself as a "western suburb" of the 95 corridor but we always seem to get significantly more snow and a couple degree colder temps than the cities. I feel like the latest trends look pretty decent for my area and west.

Am i wrong to say that with temps between 33-37 degress for the metro areas during the first part of this storm it has a decent chance of being a rain/snow mix depending on how heavy precip is falling before changing to all snow west to east with dropping temps? It's looking like this more and more.

If we can keep 850mb temps low enough we might, but thats a stretch.

That second batch thing started showing up yesterday morning on the srefs and has gotten more and more members around to that ever since.

it's been showing here and there for a while depending on the strength of the 500 low

Tough forecast at this point...But I think all those t.v mets saying "rain" and "more rain" are going to have to do a bit hedging. Frankly, I don't see how anyone can put out an accurate forecast at this point for the Interstate 95 corridor other than, "probably rain to some snow" but don't be shocked if DC also sees its biggest snowfall of the season. (which isn't saying much)

Anyone got an opinion on Howard County? Pretty much and adjacent western suburb of Bmore... I've wlays wondered whether to classify myself as a "western suburb" of the 95 corridor but we always seem to get significantly more snow and a couple degree colder temps than the cities. I feel like the latest trends look pretty decent for my area and west.

Conditions across the county can vary greatly with a system like this. Western portions of the county have elevation advantages. E-ern portions may have slightly more Ches Bay influence.

I'm only a couple miles north of I-95 in the eastern part of the county. Going to be hard to stay all snow there I think (unless things change significantly), but I do think I'll see accumulating snow at the end. If I was out west of Clarksville toward the higher elevation toward Mt Airy, I'd be getting excited that I just might stay all snow.

Howard County is a very wide place. As you should know if you live there, the weather in the eastern part along 95 can be far different than the western part where all those million dollar mansions are. Columbia is sort of the dividing line between the two mini climates.

ukmet loop....a solution just to east of this would be great for the cities I think...

http://weather.uwyo....EC=none&F2=p06i

That looks very rainy on the Ukie. You'd need quite a big jump east to get a snowier solution for the cities. Low pressure over the southern Chesapeake Bay = naso good for snow with no big high to keep us cold.

48 hr UKMET - 0 850 line is blue ridge and down to prob 25 miles NW of CHO and then heads NW... East and SE of there is 0 to +2... +2-+3 in S MD...

60 hr UKMET -- 0 850 line is straddling I-95.. perhaps like 5 miles east of that (yes I blew it up)... Blue Ridge west is -2c 850 (includes CHO/MRB/Shenendoah Valley)

Tough forecast at this point...But I think all those t.v mets saying "rain" and "more rain" are going to have to do a bit hedging. Frankly, I don't see how anyone can put out an accurate forecast at this point for the Interstate 95 corridor other than, "probably rain to some snow" but don't be shocked if DC also sees its biggest snowfall of the season. (which isn't saying much)

For DC I think a simple "rain and rain snow mix" is still the best way to go at this time. More snow to the NW obvi.

Archived