• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

Sort of interesting the NAM continues to cool and the GFS continues to warm. The NAM was originally warmer, but now the GFS is and the gap grew at 06Z. That is probably not a good thing since the Euro has been warm for several runs now. GFS and Euro together at this range is a good combo.

Didn't the NAM first correctly see the strength of the cold air during the recent ice storm? Different setup I know, but maybe the NAM's "expertise" in the short term "sees" it better.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, SREFs are super warm, even at 850. They've jumped around last few runs, though. They also sucked hard on the December 26th event so I no longer trust them.

Borderline...very borderline. I viewed the SREF 850 as an animation (try it!) and 63 hrs. is the warmest portion of the storm.

The 0 deg. line bisects Harford County, Baltimore County and N. Howard County.

DC changes over for sure.

Typical North and West setup.

"Of course I could be wrong about all of that".

I specialize in forecasts 12 to 16 hrs. before the event begins. :pepsi:

Are all the features with this storm onshore now so the models can get an accurate reading on them?

Until Wes feels confident, the only safe conclusion is that it will be dark at night, lighter during the day, perhaps wet and almost certainly cloudy

sometime Wednesday and Thursday. My suggestion is to look for the 850 low on the models as they come out and assume that the good

snows will be 75 to 150 miles north and west of the 850 low.

Borderline...very borderline. I viewed the SREF 850 as an animation (try it!) and 63 hrs. is the warmest portion of the storm.

The 0 deg. line bisects Harford County, Baltimore County and N. Howard County.

DC changes over for sure.

Typical North and West setup.

"Of course I could be wrong about all of that".

I specialize in forecasts 12 to 16 hrs. before the event begins. :pepsi:

I posted before 09Z came out. They are much colder than 03Z.

The nam surface looks weird when compared to the 500h center. I'm not sure what it means. It certainly has lots fo convection out with the eastern low. That might be right but could also be an artifact of the latent heating from its convective scheme. This run does illustrate how much this is a thread the needle deal which around hee usually doesn't work that well.

Archived