• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

I'm going to suggest it was all about cold air damming.

The models are somewhat biased and often seem to under-estimate

cold air damming.

Oddly, for that setup, areas with very borderline boundary layer temperatures changed

over to rain, freezing rain or sleet and then expectantly flipped back to sleet and snow.

I'm guessing that 850 mb warm air advection underperformed but can't tell you why.

The winds were really light during that event which certainly helped. Usually the stronger the wind field the harder it is for cold air damming to hold on. This is a tricky situation because the surface temps will be above freezing prior to the event. Heck, I'm close to freezing here today. However, the dewpoints will be low which should allow some evaporational cooling.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a really interesting event to watch IMBY. I was really surprised how cold it stayed and am hoping cold air can make it happen this time.

It would be an interesting discussion to read what others think about why

warm air advection at 850 mb was so weak and so easily overcome.

It seems that boundary layer temperatures should have warmed enough to reduce

frozen precipitation but that did not happen. Furthermore, there was not much dew point

depression; dew points rapidly rose to near freezing yet the frozen stuff hung on.

Maybe surface winds had just enough of a sustained northerly component to keep the

vast majority of the lower atmosphere cold enough for white stuff, sleet and graupel.

The winds were really light during that event which certainly helped. Usually the stronger the wind field the harder it is for cold air damming to hold on. This is a tricky situation because the surface temps will be above freezing prior to the event. Heck, I'm close to freezing here today. However, the dewpoints will be low which should allow some evaporational cooling.

I don't think Kocin is going to be teasing me during his presentation next conference. lol

Last season was hell, but I have to admit that all the ribbing I took at the conference was fun.....great group of guys and it was all good natured.

GL.

I haven't been to a conference yet but I'm thinking I need to go and learn a few things. Plus it would be fun to meet some peeps from the board. I'm pretty easy to get along with. My board name is actually my real nickname. Been called that for 20 years.

I like the look of the SREFs. Surface looks warm at 75 but cools as the storm gets closer. 850 cools fast.

The sref 2m temps are quite bit warmer than the previous run and the run is quite a bit wetter probably because more members have a track closer to the coast. Living in Dc, I don't think the warm temps are a good thing.

Any Mets take a look at the 15z SREFs yet? Thoughts?

No met, of course, but they're obviously much wetter, and there is also more consistency throughout than this morning. I guess I view them as positive in that they all throw more precip back to the Shen Valley. There are some that are very warm though. One thing that might be said is that we might start to see more consistent modeling and a more certain forecast soon. Who knows what that will be. I'm encouraged by today's models though.

The sref 2m temps are quite bit warmer than the previous run and the run is quite a bit wetter probably because more members have a track closer to the coast. Living in Dc, I don't think the warm temps are a good thing.

Yeah but I'm encouraged that all the models are settling on a relatively good surface low track and that this will at the very least be a close call with rain/snow. I

He is skiing today, and if this storm does not start looking colder soon i am going to put a big tree right in the middle of his slope :gun_bandana: .

Skiing? Did he take a trip to the Rockies to escape the mental pain and anguish caused by the PSUHoffman storm threat, Ji, and the weenie population readying the noose if snopocalypse isn't replicated? yikes.pngthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ian how do the EURO ensembles look?

About 30% of the Euro ensemble members are more amplified than the op and would represent a farther west solution than the op. Most are faster and less amplified.

All I have are the H5 spag charts, but that would be my educated guess. It won't be a lot farther east and I think more than anything confirms the suspicions that a 30 hr snowstorm with no block is unlikely.

I haven't been to a conference yet but I'm thinking I need to go and learn a few things. Plus it would be fun to meet some peeps from the board. I'm pretty easy to get along with. My board name is actually my real nickname. Been called that for 20 years.

Go.....not only do you learn, but it also takes the dynamic between you and those you meet to new level; once you know folks personally and you can put a face to the avatar, everything changes for the better.

Archived