• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

The GFS is warm at 78 hrs with the zero line at the surface north of the Mason Dixon line. However by 84hrs when the evaporation cooling gets going and the low starts really deepening and turn the winds to northerly, the temps collapse. It remains a really tricky forecast. I doubt it is an all snow even but it could be a mostly snow event. Right now I'd still be very circumspect about making any calls about the system but then I tend to like to wait unless we have a feb 5th or Dec 19th type of event.

Thanks so much for your rational thoughts. It's clear your ideas are not based on choosing a "model" for an answer. I, for one, really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing, BTW your blog has really broadened the discussions at the Post- it's great.

Now, I'll go back to "lurking'. Good luck to all- may all your wildest dreams come true!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the euro 500 track is still pretty freakin sweet but i worry we can get that and still rain at least in the city. if i was at ji's house i may feel more comfortable.

Yeah, my head says the Euro has been warm for some time and we are just getting rain/slop, but it is really hard to give up on such a nice looking storm track.

Yeah, my head says the Euro has been warm for some time and we are just getting rain/slop, but it is really hard to give up on such a nice looking storm track.

i keep going back to the storm last monday where the euro had me at rain and warm and i ended up with virtually no rain(it was sleet and snow with temps in the mid 20's)

unfortunately sometimes we get a great track and it is rain

But it sounds like it's coordinate system is much different. A hybrid isentropic coordinate system is a bit different than the GFS. I know Louis Uccellini used to be really excited about such a coordinate system but I don't remember the specifics of why. Maybe DTK can comment on it.

Exactly right...this was developed by folks out in boulder (using some ideas from the Ruc vertical coordinate, I think...and going from there). It actually uses physical parameterizations (i.e. convection, PBL, etc.) from the GFS, and is initialized from the GFS analysis. At one point I'm sure people were pushing to have the FIM replace the GFS....but that no longer seems like it's even a possibility. Better yet, there are people pushing to try to use a global version of the NMM to replace the GFS (why is nobody ever happy with the GFS ?!? ... but I digress).

As an aside, the GFS actually now has an option to run using a hybrid isentropic-pressure-sigma coordinate system (but currently the GFS is hybrid sigma-pressure....i.e. terrain following near the surface and constant pressure as you go toward the model top).

We've got a good storm track from most models, and we have more cold air from the one model that has been relatively money so far this season. Everything taken together, I'm not feeling too bad about this. I still think this means it'll be a mostly snow event in the DC area (snowier the further west you are), with the details still to be determined.

We've got a good storm track from most models, and we have more cold air from the one model that has been relatively money so far this season. Everything taken together, I'm not feeling too bad about this. I still think this means it'll be a mostly snow event in the DC area (snowier the further west you are), with the details still to be determined.

Just something to keep in mind, recently the GFS has had a SLIGHT near-surface cold bias while the Euro has definitely run a bit warm. These are hemispheric examples, but demonstrate the point [the black is GFS and red ECMWF....this is the average temperature bias as a function of forecast lead time for the past month or so....each system verified against its own analysis.....this is 1000 mb, so you have to be careful about interpretation):

biasdieoff_T_P1000_G2NHX_00Z.png

Here is more evidence, but actually implies the GFS has a slight WARM near surface bias at 48 hours. The plot below are the mean fits of temperatures forecasts to RAOBS over NA for 2 day forecasts for the past month (GFS black, ECM red). The dashed line is the bias (solid RMSE)....notice the substantial warm bias between 1000 and 800 on the ECMWF.....

tt.f48.na.adp.gif

I'm not saying this translates to anything specific for this forecast, just something to bear in mind.

Thanks, dtk. Even *I* understood your explanation. (Re: the temp bias of the Euro and GFS so far this season)

A compromise in the middle wouldn't be the end of the world at all.

That's kind of my take, as well. Like I said, we have relative confidence in a good track, and the temps are fairly close to giving many of us a heavy, wet snowstorm. If they verify on the cooler side, then we're going to be pretty happy. If they tilt the other way, then most of us will have to suck up a cold rain.

We're really on a knife's edge, but I'm not terribly pessimistic right now.

NOTE: This is dtk's post in the locked thread... thought I would move it over here so all could see and in case it gets lost in the now locked thread

Just something to keep in mind, recently the GFS has had a SLIGHT near-surface cold bias while the Euro has definitely run a bit warm. These are hemispheric examples, but demonstrate the point [the black is GFS and red ECMWF....this is the average temperature bias as a function of forecast lead time for the past month or so....each system verified against its own analysis.....this is 1000 mb, so you have to be careful about interpretation):

biasdieoff_T_P1000_G2NHX_00Z.png

Here is more evidence, but actually implies the GFS has a slight WARM near surface bias at 48 hours. The plot below are the mean fits of temperatures forecasts to RAOBS over NA for 2 day forecasts for the past month (GFS black, ECM red). The dashed line is the bias (solid RMSE)....notice the substantial warm bias between 1000 and 800 on the ECMWF.....

tt.f48.na.adp.gif

I'm not saying this translates to anything specific for this forecast, just something to bear in mind.

If any mets want to explain why models didn't forecast the cold well during the ice storm and if that idea is applicable to this setup, i'm listening.

I'm going to suggest it was all about cold air damming.

The models are somewhat biased and often seem to under-estimate

cold air damming.

Oddly, for that setup, areas with very borderline boundary layer temperatures changed

over to rain, freezing rain or sleet and then expectantly flipped back to sleet and snow.

I'm guessing that 850 mb warm air advection underperformed but can't tell you why.

I'm going to suggest it was all about cold air damming.

The models are somewhat biased and often seem to under-estimate

cold air damming.

Oddly, for that setup, areas with very borderline boundary layer temperatures changed

over to rain, freezing rain or sleet and then expectantly flipped back tot sleet and snow.

I'm guessing that 850 mb warm air advection underperformed but can't tell you why.

It was a really interesting event to watch IMBY. I was really surprised how cold it stayed and am hoping cold air can make it happen this time.

Archived