joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the 84 hr forecast on the nam you can see the temps start to collapse as the precipitation starts. The run is not a bad one despite everyone's gloom.

on the contrary (at least for me), I like what the NAM has done this run

it actually is encouraging

Wes, what do you think of that 5H map at 84 hrs?

Isn't he right though? Temps are marginal at best. If the storm comes west it's rain, if it goes east we get nothing. It's one thing to just have to worry about precip or temps. But when you have to worry about both............ it ain't happening.

i got this.....

I was thinking the same b4....however, IF the storm takes a more westerly track, the dynamics also can change. So a simple more "west track more rain scenario" may not be the case depending on 850's and such.......how was that Phin?l

on the contrary (at least for me), I like what the NAM has done this run

it actually is encouraging

Wes, what do you think of that 5H map at 84 hrs?

But you do tend to be optimistic. The 500h pattern isn't bad, the vort goes to our south and doesn't go negative too early. Of course, it may still be absolutely wrong and jump back west on the next run but it's certainly better than the last one.

Don't think too hard about it, I was just making a wild guess. On to the nam which looks like the 850 temps are starting to fall as evaporational cooling takes place at 84 hrs. It's not a bad look.

I enjoy this kind of discussion (perhaps too much)....even though I work in data assimilation now, my MS Thesis was on a topic related to predictability. For this storm, I'm really starting to like (more) the look of things.

I'm not a huge analog person, but I'm starting to see some similarities (NOT a direct analog) to the January 2000 storm (something I did a pretty extensive case study on for my MS thesis). The models really struggled once the mid level energy got close enough to the Gulf....leading to deep precip/convection, latent heat release, and generation of a significant (real) low-level PV anomaly. [Edit: how the energy evolves to get to that point & the large scale set up are quite a bit different]

I think others have explained well enough the potential temperature related issues however.....

But you do tend to be optimistic. The 500h pattern isn't bad, the vort goes to our south and doesn't go negative too early. Of course, it may still be absolutely wrong and jump back west on the next run but it's certainly better than the last one.

dabbling in stand-up comedy in your retirement, ehh? :P

hey, I want snow so bad I can taste it, but my gut tells me it ain't happening

I continue to hope I am wrong

this has the potential to be something great if the NAM could play out AND it could manufacture some cold air, which that 5H map suggests to me it "could"

and, if that southern vort could slow a hair and/or the northern stream dive south quicker, then its lights out I BUST BIG TIME :thumbsup:

24 hrs. ago, we were looking at some rather extreme scenarios. Today, the models seem to be moving somewhat toward reasonable consensus for a coastal. The GFS is the eastern outlier, but will probably move west with the 18z run. The NAM just swung east to an 84 hr. S, Carolina coastal position w/ rapidly cooling 850 mb temps. inland. Those much chaos still exists, not a bad trend for most in the M.A.

This ought to be an interesting 18z GFS run, that has initialized. I want to see if it tries to bring the low a bit further west. I would like to see it somewhat in line with the 18z NAM and 12z EC... perhaps 50 miles east of that. Also, on the 18z NAM at 84, the 850 low would likely go SE of us... which in Wes's book for snow is good news

Archived