• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

that would work also but were starting to get slower to a time range when the location of major high pressure is modeled a little better and its still trending in the wrong direction. That lead northern stream vort is a huge problem. As for my scenario not being viable, its not common but with the H5 track all the models agree on its possible and it does happen once in a while.

I will agree the trend in the high pressure is troubling, and the storm has trended faster like we wanted but unfortunately the high has been forced out east faster and faster because a few days ago models were not taking that lead shortwave in the northern stream across in front of this storm. They were having that energy dive in more and be absorbed, instead now its sliding across in front and destroying the confluence. Just about all the models have that now so I am not sure irrationally hoping that is wrong is a good idea. Our best shot at this point is a full phase happening at the right time and a bombing low that tracks just to our east and a good back end dump as the H5 low crosses just south of us and heights crash. Thats our best chance right now.

Sounds like you are punting, which is probably smart. You were put into a bad spot by having your name attached to a stinker against your will.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you are punting, which is probably smart. You were put into a bad spot by having your name attached to a stinker against your will.

not punting, as long as the models are all tracking a good h5 low over VA it would be unwise to punt. The last few storms the h5 was horrible and the surface looked good 5 days out and then we watched as it all unraveled at the surface. This time the H5 is good but the surface is bad 5 days out, perhaps the opposite trend will start soon.

not punting, as long as the models are all tracking a good h5 low over VA it would be unwise to punt. The last few storms the h5 was horrible and the surface looked good 5 days out and then we watched as it all unraveled at the surface. This time the H5 is good but the surface is bad 5 days out, perhaps the opposite trend will start soon.

happy to modify the thread title if you prefer....just let me know...

Operational model guidance has handled these phasing

systems poorly so far this winter...resulting in lower than normal

model skill and forecast confidence more than a couple days out.

^From NWS Sterling

http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayDisc.asp?DiscussionCode=LWX&StateCode=MD&SafeCityName=Baltimore

Just so people stop saying that models are not handling things worse this winter than previous, If you thik that your delusional..Anyway it basically goes on to say that its still too uncertain to lean towards any forecast and says that models should handle it better when the energy moves into western Canada tomorrow. Meaningwhile 18Z NAM is rolling

Operational model guidance has handled these phasing

systems poorly so far this winter...resulting in lower than normal

model skill and forecast confidence more than a couple days out.

^From NWS Sterling

http://www.wundergro...yName=Baltimore

Just so people stop saying that models are not handling things worse this winter than previous, If you thik that your delusional..Anyway it basically goes on to say that its still too uncertain to lean towards any forecast and says that models should handle it better when the energy moves into western Canada tomorrow. Meaningwhile 18Z NAM is rolling

They might be right for this very specific type of event (which, by the way I'm not even sure I agree with), I don't look at things on a case-by-case basis enough.

But if you (and they) are trying to make sweeping claims about model skill this winter overall, you're (they're) dead wrong, and I have statistics to back it up.

They might be right for this very specific type of event (which, by the way I'm not even sure I agree with), I don't look at things on a case-by-case basis enough.

But if you (and they) are trying to make sweeping claims about model skill this winter overall, you're (they're) dead wrong, and I have statistics to back it up.

This pattern is so amazingly difficult I wish folks would just acknowledge that. The Pacific jet is howling--and it really is like a firehose with nobody holding it. Poor analogy perhaps--but the tiny ripples in the flow break off the divergent portion of that jet streak in a turbulent fashion. This is high order stuff out in the Pacific--enough so where turbulent flow is evident in the westerly pattern.

Ellinwood, remove the stick from your rear and see that the image is deleted.

lol.

Should have never been there from the start.

That was the first time I've posted such a thing in recent history, just to remind everyone about it. While I haven't voiced my opinion about quoting large images, I do agree with the OP's viewpoints in that thread.

No need to be snappy.

DT is attacking "Mets" on this board in his latest facebook posting.

Wxrisk.com‎*** ALERT ALERT *** 12Z GFS shifts from OHIO to GA IN 1 RUN !!!****

once again proving how awful this model is on east coast winter storms solutions past 84 hrs... The GFS just BLINKED .... some of l those idiots mets at American saying how the GFS midwest solution could be correct... LOL... ROTLOL... ROTFLMAO...

:facepalm:

This pattern is so amazingly difficult I wish folks would just acknowledge that. The Pacific jet is howling--and it really is like a firehose with nobody holding it. Poor analogy perhaps--but the tiny ripples in the flow break off the divergent portion of that jet streak in a turbulent fashion. This is high order stuff out in the Pacific--enough so where turbulent flow is evident in the westerly pattern.

Exactly...but this does not imply that the models as they are currently configured are doing worse than they have in the past (I assure you they aren't). This is a type of situation that has inherit predictability issues (i.e. abnormally high error/perturbation growth rates).

Archived