joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure there will be Alaska and/or Hawaii based recon missions as part of WSR 2011 in the coming days. The flight they sent out of Japan this morning (obs made it into 12z) was technically targeted for an Alaskan event, but the more data the better :).

They have a recon mission for this threat? That is great--I wonder what difference that may make. I read a while back the NWS would be doing recon missions in the Pacific.

Too many different solutions on the table right now. How anyone can put faith in one is beyond me. Someone posted yesterday, I think it was Baro, that the models would have an extremely difficult time with this upcoming period. We need more time. Something is in the cards. That's exciting. That's the best we'll get for a day or two.

Too many different solutions on the table right now. How anyone can put faith in one is beyond me. Someone posted yesterday, I think it was Baro, that the models would have an extremely difficult time with this upcoming period. We need more time. Something is in the cards. That's exciting. That's the best we'll get for a day or two.

I am nervous because the GFS has been excellent this winter and this look would certainly fit the seasonal pattern.

I would much rather have a rainstorm than 1" of snow at this point. Salt covered cars are ugly.

Earlier today, I wouldn't have said this but now I agree we need the rain storm, and take our chances with the cold air. Never thought I would be rooting for a few inches of snow followed by an inch of rain just to hopefully end up with another couple inches on the back-end

Anyone wishing for a complete rainstorm over a 3-5" snowfall is out of their fooking mind.

i feel like some of you would keep falling into the same deep hole after being rescued without even considering it might be a bad idea to step into it

They have a recon mission for this threat? That is great--I wonder what difference that may make. I read a while back the NWS would be doing recon missions in the Pacific.

Yes, they have been doing flights (getting dropsonde data) out over the Pacific (and occasionally Gulf/Atlantic) in a quasi-operational capacity since 2001. The programs typically have specific periods they cover due to funding (usually January through March), but the data have been shown time and time again to be beneficial. They have their eyes on this threat, but haven't made a decision to send out flights just yet (though the information I'm looking at is old):

FOR CASE 1:

Observation time: 2011012212

Verification time: 2011012412

Latitude: 27N

Longitude: 93W

Priority: HIGH

Comments: East coast winter storm

i feel like some of you would keep falling into the same deep hole after being rescued without even considering it might be a bad idea to step into it

I'll take a nice 4-6" snowfall if that's what we're getting. Who knows at this point?

If this ends up being another fringe screwjob, then meh.

I am saying that the chances of significant snow at BWI/DCA is next to nothing. I am 52. I have observed winter wx and patterns in Baltimore intensely since 1972. Maybe not where you come from, but there have been many winters around here where it just won't snow. Sure, synoptic circumstances are different with each storm in the season, but that did not change the result....no snow. In light of what has happened so far this year, I doubt it changes. Can it? Sure, but I think one must forecast with the season's pattern in mind. We do not do well in NINA's here and this year, a mod NINA, has been very unkind with respect to snow. That is my point in a nutshell. Climo is a biatch around here when it comes to NINA's and snow. This year has "skunk" written all over it. Equally important is the fact that the computers have been running the same show all winter and I'm seeing it again: 5 days out mega snow with each event, only to slowly fizzle with this morning being a perfect example of 1-3" forecasted by the NWS 12 hours in advance only to have <1/2" fall. Now, if it snows this winter, I expect you to step forward and say " I told you so" to which I will say, "bfd." To be clear, my position is that until we get a snow of significance, I assume it will not snow significantly no matter what the God-awful computers show. You may not agree with that position, so be it,but we will have to agree to disagree. In the end however, and contrary to what you may think, I hope I am wrong and you are right as the snow weenie in my heart will always prevail over competitive wx forecasting.

I wonder what you would have been saying in 1958 when up until mid February there had been almost no snow at all in Baltimore, then there were 2 HECS and a SECS from that point on.

I'll take a nice 4-6" snowfall if that's what we're getting. Who knows at this point?

If this ends up being another fringe screwjob, then meh.

Unfortunately, the way this winter has been going, 4 to 6 for you in Baltimore County could struggle to be 1 to 2 down here.

Well, the trend on the GFS is undeniable..it is creeping north, but at the same time, the GFS is an outlier with this Miller Bish look.

Like Ji pointed out, on the NAM at 84, the storm is just starting to get together and on the GFS the thing is about over.

I would take the GFS in a heartbeat

but I'm not foolish enough to think that the trend won't stop at this run, especially when they all creeped north as the so-called "threat" got closer

Archived