joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems to be shaping up in a pretty interesting event regardless of whether we mix or not. Would love to be all snow, but a crazy event with front and back end snow with torrential rain/wind in the middle would be fun to say the least.

I am encouraged that if you combined all of the models and averaged them out, DC/BWI seem to be in prime territory. At this point though, I think its looking more like Frederick/HGR could be the sweet spot in terms of snow.

I am sticking with the GFS as it has been the first to catch on to solutions this year. Euro is displaying something very similar to the GFS 0z last night.

as I understand from Matt, there are mixing issues even on the Euro due to the 850 placement so we're looking at about 10" of heavy wet snow possible, maybe a little less as you move south of the WV panhandle.

Oh I agree with you on the mixing Trix. Even for us. But we dont go above freezing at the surface and verbatim we would have a foot of ice after it freezes. Major storm for us.

BTW these are somewhat estimates because for some stations its obvious the changeover happens between the 6 hour temp profiles so I have to guesstimate but....

FDK

.7 snow

1.1 rain/mix

.85 snow

Appreciate that.

I don't think I have ever seen a storm with so much snow and rain in one storm.

Hear the GEM ENS are more east than the OP.whistle.gif

not surprising, people need to stop vascilating back and forth with each run of the models. I know its human nature and I do it emotionally also even though the scientific part of my brain knows any of these solutions is just as likely to occur at this range. We have multiple permutations but all are clustered around the idea that there will be major amplification coming out of the southeast and up the coast, perhaps inland, perhaps off the coast and anywhere in between.

Has there ever been storm like what is being modeled. Heavy snow....Heavy rain...Heavy snow. I mean the amounts are extreme to say the least. I guess the Blizzard of 93 was similar for areas east of I95.

If we had 3" qpf verify as all snow/frozen this would be the GW storm of the late 1700's where 36" of snow fell in the DC/BWI area. Would not ever happen, but wouldn't that be something!

If we had 3" qpf verify as all snow/frozen this would be the GW storm of the late 1700's where 36" of snow fell in the DC/BWI area. Would not ever happen, but wouldn't that be something!

Dont think its gonna be cold enough for 36 inches of snow. Heavy wet snow and would compact quickly. It's all a fantasy right now anyways.

Uhhh, Feb. 5-6 last year ring a bell??? No, it wasn't 36" as in the Washington-Jefferson storm...and I don't care that DCA gave an anemic-looking 17.8" amount officially. But there were widespread 20-30"+ amounts within the DC/Baltimore metro areas. And I think one place just outside the DC beltway did get 38". QPF amounts then were in the 2-3" range, too.

I have a question. The Euro has massive amounts of QPF so obviously the storm is pretty GD strong. If the storm takes the same track but 1/2 the strength, would this keep the 850 further SE or would the track pretty much guarantee a changover for some duration for areas around DCA and BWI?

I'm only asking because I'm curious and not because I think the track is definitely going to verify. Many changes ahead for sure, but it is really hard to not believe that something pretty big is going to happen. I remember hearing someone say "The big ones are sniffed out the earliest with the least run to run variation inside of 4 days.".

Uhhh, Feb. 5-6 last year ring a bell??? No, it wasn't 36" as in the Washington-Jefferson storm...and I don't care that DCA gave an anemic-looking 17.8" amount officially. But there were widespread 20-30"+ amounts within the DC/Baltimore metro areas. And I think one place just outside the DC beltway did get 38". QPF amounts then were in the 2-3" range, too.

Elkridge, where I work, got 30"

can it snow with 850 of 1.1?

probably not because there would be a warmer layer somewhere in the profile, but the real quetions is from 100 hours away is it accurate to 1 degree lol

People are agonizing over 2-3 degrees here because a 3 degree change in profiles makes a HUGE difference. Anyone have the H5 maps yet?

if this is anything near reality I will camp out at some ski resort somewhere WISP/Whitetail ext... and have the best 3 days of my life on my new powder skiis.

For some reason I only get a thrill out of snow if it snows at my location. Snowchasing seems unfulfilling.

My money is still on a Miller B screwjob, but I'll take an average of the JMA and Euro, please. Something that may give some credence to the big QPF numbers though is that Mother Nature loves making up precip deficits in one fell swoop. Dry summers often have a tropical system that gets us back to norms. Same could happen here?

I think it's more of an icing threat than a change over to rain. There's some darn cold air out in front of the storm. Case in point is the ice event on Tuesday. Modeled as a changeover to rain all the way up to the event. Never got above 28 degrees here by time the precip ended.

Archived