SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are acting like we are hundreds of miles from a snowstorm around here. This isn't an Apps runner. 50 miles east would pound IAD and central MD, 100 miles east would give I-95 a huge snowstorm. Considering the huge GFS shifts over the last 24 hours, everything is on the table.

I agree. Everyone is still in the game. But I hope it stays right where it is. Monstrous storm for my area if it verified.

Exactly-- as is, its snow just west of LYH-- ROA and BCB are all snow. LYH warms to rain, would likley be ice and then EXPLODES back to snow (Another 6-10). My experience is that inland runners are better for backlash snows then OTS storms...so it could be legit.

Here in central MD, the only storm that I remember REALLY giving us significant backlash snows after a changeover was the '93 Superstorm.

Of course we sometimes get an inch or two on the wrap-around, but that as the one time we got a legit post-changeover snowSTORM that I recall.

my statement wasn't really open to interpretation.

PM me and I can point you to a copy of a good NWP book.

I agree with this mostly, but sometimes the models do something screwy at the surface that seems out of touch with other levels. In these instances 90 percent of the time the correction that comes in future runs is at the surface, NOT the H5. This winter is a great example as time after time models have tried to give significant snow to DC with an H5 track that made no sense. As the storm approached they invariable correct the surface to match the H5.

From the NYC/Philly thread:

"qpf for event

3-4" DC just west of Baltimore to PA /MD border then east to norther DE line goes south to southern 3rd of DE and then back to DC

2.5-3" north thru dead center VA in to PA east of Altoona, goes east to NYC, all of NJ, delmarva and eastern VA

1.75-2" WV/MD border northeast to NY/PA border on up[ to NE"

That's wild stuff right there.

Well that's a pretty substantial storm if the temps are right

I would think splitting the difference between these two solutions would be our dream scenario, no?

Was the 18-24" of snow that the 12z GFS showed for Towson not good enough? :rolleyes:

We CAN get snow from Miller B's people. Does anyone remember Feb 10, 2010? Wasn't that long ago.

when that thing bombs if it is 50 miles or more east someone in va could get a huge surprise that is riding the mix line

Location of the high in the NE will be crucial to our snow chances. I'm not too happy with it's placement right now but I'm sure I shouldn't focus on that part just yet. It is nice to see a wet event regardless.

hoffman, move this 50 miles east and you would get totally blasted. You should like this Euro run a whole lot.

for my area I do not mind this run at all... where I live is halfway between westminster airport and THV (york) but yorks airfield is 10 miles southwest of them, only about 12 miles northeast of me. Splitting the difference, I have a good period of mixing in the middle but probably 10" front end and 10" back end. I would take that as is no complaints. But I am rooting for DC and Baltimore to do a little better then they would on this run as is. Still a LOT of time. I will say right now my guess would be somewhere between the GFS and the Euro.

Exactly-- Too bad you're not in Htown this year-- looks to be REALLY good up there.

Heck, even if its a Miller A rain, I'll be please.

Looking at the EC extrated Data--its not bad for my region. Snow to rain but temps are 33 (Likely too warm) then back to snow with like 6-10 falling.

If that insane QPF is anything near reality, I'm going to camp out at my sister's in HGR

Archived