joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no freaking way that 20" of snow is an average year for anybody near Richmond. DCA's average snowfall is less than that and BWI's is only 20.8".

You are correct - I am WSW of RIC and my average is probably somewhere in the 12-14" range. I currently stand at 12.4" on the season, although the airport itself is below average.

Even a "good" run 5 days out resembles the seasonal track/pattern. Nudge 80-100 miles north over 5 days of runs and you have a repeat performance.

Concur. Too many people focus on actual QPF spat out by the models for a particular location instead of looking at the "QPF signature." And the 12Z GFS has a Miller B signature similar to the 3 or 4 other storms this year that gave us nothing. Other storms had the models getting us in on the action this far out or even closer in (12/26/10 even the day before!), but we all know what happened in reality. Could be another case where the models do a good job sniffing out the overall scenario, just not the actual final placement of the lows and redevelopment. of the coastal. There is a tendency for models on almost all Miller Bs to show the coastal redevelopment too far southwest--the closer you get to the event, the more NE the redevelopment shows up . Our only shot is to have the coastal low development modeled so far south that even when we get the 100-mile NE "jog," we get in on SOME action. This one could be it, but I am not betting on it. If we actually started to see a south or southwest trend after 12Z, then maybe we could think our luck would change. Any N or NE trend from here probably means same old screwjob and "Next!"

UKMET and the GGEM being so wrapped up/inland is probably the cliched red flag here that the GFS might be too far east. In 20 minutes, we'll know if the supposedly king of models goes with the GFS or the GGEM/Ukmet

Given its track record this winter, should we still consider it the king of all models?

How many times do you think Psu will tell we're gonna mix or "have trouble" as if we didn't know this and then say his area looks ok.

I do not know what the obsession is with "staying all snow" some have. If I get 12" of snow but mix with sleet for a while I am not going to be that upset! When I pointed out that DC would probably have mixing issues it was because I think they might, but I am on record saying I think this has the potential to be the first significant snowfall for the area. If DC gets 6" then some mix/rain and a back end 1-2" that would be by far our best snow event this winter. Without a 50/50 or block this is going to be hard to maintain all rain on the coastal plain. That is a fact, sorry that I live 35 miles northwest of 95 and at 1000 feet, but those facts do give my location an advantage in this situation. I do also feel that DC being further west then Philly and NYC actually has an advantage this time around with such an event. JB actually said as much today, but that should make me reconsider. If it makes you feel any better I have been and will continue to focus on the metro areas moreso then where I live because not many on here live up here and even though I am very close distance, the climo is drastically different.

Archived