• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

ya but how did this go from a Miller A to a Miller B so fast? Thats the problem. its 4 days out and its already showing a Miller B.

the 12z euro was very heavy on the northern stream. i think the idea was there already. any run showing a giant closed 500 low in the southern stream that bombs out to our southwest has to be taken with some salt given what's happened this yr.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure it ever was a classic Miller A

look at last night's 0Z run

it shows in these 2 panels that its a northern stream vort that was proged to come way south

this run, it just isn't coming as far south

http://www.nco.ncep....0072090_l.shtml

http://www.nco.ncep....0096114_l.shtml

it wasnt really imo. nothing this yr is. they are all jumpers even if there is a reflection in the gom initially.

Agree with the folks against whining. There is some obvious defensive pessimism occurring. The fact is no matter what is depicted right now, the chances for snow are never going to be good until these outputs are depicted less than 48 hours out. Just be happy with what it shows now.

And I don't care if it's blasphemy - 1996 La Nina Miller B that bombed to our south. IT HAPPENS, just not that likely. Accept the probabilities and just wait to see what unfolds. Even if it does skirt us north, we could still pick up our 6 while NYC and Boston get walloped again. I got no problem with that the way this winter has gone. Better than rain right?

i guess i'll take my 52 and sunny in seattle...rather than 32 and heartbreak here

:)

Every winter since I got here in '04 I've had this nagging worry that we would get nailed during one of the two weeks that I was out of town (holidays, AMS). If not for last year, I'd be close to panicking right now. Now, however, I can just sit back in serene calm and just watch everything unfold. :popcorn:

A bit more.. closer to 1" QPF

You are correct, my bad. I looked at total QPF after 108 assuming it was just about over. Almost does a nice slow drift up the coast after that to 126. Not that this will verify, but does anyone see RIC in the snowhole AGAIN? If I wasn't from there it would be funny.

:)

Every winter since I got here in '04 I've had this nagging worry that we would get nailed during one of the two weeks that I was out of town (holidays, AMS). If not for last year, I'd be close to panicking right now. Now, however, I can just sit back in serene calm and just watch everything unfold fall apart. :popcorn:

fixed for clarity

So for those who are worried about this turning to a Miller B....an explanation from another forum:

It is technically a Miller A/B hybrid... It has some characteristics of a Miller B but still the moisture and track of a miller A. There is a small transfer of energy that occurs as the ULL is already closed aloft as the storm gets going off the coast so the 500mb closed low will seek the other storm and try to close it off as quick as possible leading to a quickly developing storm and locking off (not moving) Now as far as QPF I would take it down a notch but overall i like the run as it seems to make sense.

You are correct, my bad. I looked at total QPF after 108 assuming it was just about over. Almost does a nice slow drift up the coast after that to 126. Not that this will verify, but does anyone see RIC in the snowhole AGAIN? If I wasn't from there it would be funny.

isnt ric already near avg for the season?

So for those who are worried about this turning to a Miller B....an explanation from another forum:

It is technically a Miller A/B hybrid... It has some characteristics of a Miller B but still the moisture and track of a miller A. There is a small transfer of energy that occurs as the ULL is already closed aloft as the storm gets going off the coast so the 500mb closed low will seek the other storm and try to close it off as quick as possible leading to a quickly developing storm and locking off (not moving) Now as far as QPF I would take it down a notch but overall i like the run as it seems to make sense.

all the bigger storms this yr except perhaps jan 11 were hybrids. the debate is mostly academic except that the northern stream is dominant and probably remains that way for now.

Who posted that?

Also...maybe we can make a seperate thread for all the weenies who want to cry/b**ch/moan about being bullseyed in a HECS/MECS 4 days out?

isnt ric already near avg for the season?

Meh, the airport may be because it was east of town and it got more on the 12/25-26 storm than most of the Metro. Most of RIC hasn't seen more than 8-10, where as 20 is more typical (even though the aiports average is 13). DC has definitely been in the snowhole just as much this winter though.

Meh, the airport may be because it was east of town and it got more on the 12/25-26 storm than most of the Metro. Most of RIC hasn't seen more than 8-10, where as 20 is more typical (even though the aiports average is 13). DC has definitely been in the snowhole just as much this winter though.

There is no freaking way that 20" of snow is an average year for anybody near Richmond. DCA's average snowfall is less than that and BWI's is only 20.8".

Try more so. We haven't even smelled 8-10, not even near Baltimore

Archived