joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're now looking at an extreme event either way. Liquid or frozen or combo thereof. Totally different animal here and I think it may be good, even if we do change mix.

Give me the combo. 4-5 inches of snow to some rain to 6 inches of snow on the backend (an example) and I will be more then happy

I asked this in an earlier thread but don't remember if it was answered. Weather53 used to have a rule of thumb with marginal temp events by looking at the strength and locatation of a high to the northeast. Wasn't it a 1030H in Quebec w/ north winds at the surface here just prior to precip onset?

I just want focus on thermal profile and feature placement as we move closer. Eventually I'll be able to make some sort of call outside of model hugging.

Bob, I believe you are correct in Weather53's rule of thumb. He look for the BP to be like at a certain point as well. I don't recall exact pressure. I will try and see if I can get this info from him and share out in the thread later today.

78-84h NAM @12Z looks very VERY different than 06Z.

Energy burrowing way further into the SW...not sure how this impacts the evolution going forward, but I am a little worried that, verbatim, this might screw up the phase.

The 6z run extrapolated wasn't a big storm (DGEX). It was snow, but nothing huge. If I could play let's make a deal with this storm, and curtain number 1 was a 4 inch snow, 100% certain, and curtain number 2 was a 20 inch snow, or a lakes cutter heavy rain event, each 50%, I'd take curtain number 1 without even thinking about it.

Give me the combo. 4-5 inches of snow to some rain to 6 inches of snow on the backend (an example) and I will be more then happy

I'll take it a step farther- rain would be OK with me under the present drought conditions. I started another thread about the drought- probably should be deleted- but if we can get some moisture falling from the sky it might bode well fro the rest of the winter in terms of snow:

post-2503-0-62169600-1295622481.png

The 6z run extrapolated wasn't a big storm (DGEX). It was snow, but nothing huge. If I could play let's make a deal with this storm, and curtain number 1 was a 4 inch snow, 100% certain, and curtain number 2 was a 20 inch snow, or a lakes cutter heavy rain event, each 50%, I'd take curtain number 1 without even thinking about it.

The DGEX isn't really an extension of the NAM because of the substantially smaller grid (i.e. it gets very a very heavy influence from GFS boundary conditions).

Oh for god's sake...we are just bantering about models.

I know as well as anyone that the 84h NAM is just something to have fun with and should be taken with the world's largest grain of salt. Which is why I said "verbatim" instead of "AHMAHGAWD!".

No one is taking it seriously, just pointing it out for the sake of discussion.

Bob, I believe you are correct in Weather53's rule of thumb. He look for the BP to be like at a certain point as well. I don't recall exact pressure. I will try and see if I can get this info from him and share out in the thread later today.

Back on Eastern he nailed a few events that we're marginal on p-type. It won't matter nearly as much with the upcoming event if it's as strong as modeled. The only thing we can hope for is the changeover to take longer than expected if the track is correct.

OT- Clutch is opening for Motorhead in NYC on 2/28. Got my tix. Anthrax, ham radio, and liquor!

LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --ANOTHER GNRLY SUNNY DAY IS XPCTD ON SUNDAY...BUT TEMPS WL STRUGGLE

TO EXCEED 30 E OF I-95...IN THE 20S ELSEWHERE.

THIS HAS BEEN A WINTER WHERE THE ATMOSPHERE HAS BEEN XTRMLY

CHAOTIC...AND THE FCST HAS HAD A FAIR DEGREE OF UNCERTAINTY. THE

WORKWEEK AHEAD LOOKS TO KEEP THAT TREND ALIVE. DIFFERENCES IN

TIMING/POSN BTWN THE XTND MDLS ADD TO THAT UNCERTAINTY.

BOTH GFS AND ECMWF SHOW HIGH PRES MOVG OVR NRN NEW ENGLAND TUE

AND A DAMMING PRES WEDGE DVLPG E OF THE APLCHNS. THIS WOULD LEAD

TO XTNSV CLD CVR TUE/WED. W/ DAMMING SOMETIMES LGT DZ/FZDZ

DVLPS...OTHER TIMES NOT. ATTM WE ARE FCSTG CHC SN FOR TUE. FOR NOW

WE`LL LV THE P-TYPE AS THIS...BUT AS THE DATE DRAWS CLOSER...AND

IF THE DAMMING WEDGE STILL LOOKS TO DVLP...THIS MAY NEED TO BE

CHGD.

BY WED MRNG ECMWF SHOWS A VERTICALLY STACKED LOW OVR VA. GFS IS

SLOWER W/ THE DVLPMNT...AND MOVES THE LOW TO A POSN E OF ORF WED

NGT. GNRLY SPEAKING I`D SAY THE LATTER IS A BETTER POSITION...BUT

IT IS ALSO 130 HRS AWAY FM POTENTIALLY OCCURING...AND I DON`T WANT

TO MOVE TOO QUICKLY IN A MORE PESSIMISTIC DIRECTION. WE`VE GOT SVRL

DAYS TO WATCH HOW THIS DVLPS.-- End Changed Discussion --

post pics

i know ppl are excited but history says you dont want a giant low right on your doorstep in this range. with minimal blocking and the positioning of it, it's going to want to go inland if the solution holds. not that it will but there is a reason people say they dont want to be in the bullseye 4/5 days out as you know.

i know ppl are excited but history says you dont want a giant low right on your doorstep in this range. with minimal blocking and the positioning of it, it's going to want to go inland if the solution holds. not that it will but there is a reason people say they dont want to be in the bullseye 4/5 days out as you know.

As I've said before I'll take my chances with temps this year given moisture has been so hard to come by..

Archived