joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No comparison in any way to Superstorm 1993.

Ummm, intensity, intense upper level energy, powerful dynamics, and 850,500, 700 closed lows southeast of DC. In 1993 those features tracked right over DC, but this is further east. I'd say there are some similarities, but hey you are entitled to your opinion.

Ummm, intensity, intense upper level energy, powerful dynamics, and 850,500, 700 closed lows southeast of DC. In 1993 those features tracked right over DC, but this is further east. I'd say there are some similarities, but hey you are entitled to your opinion.

No.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1993/us0314.php

Think about this guys: about an hour ago we were sitting here with one of the major models predicting solid snow and the other predicting nonsense OTS. Now we have basically gotten that model to produce a massive snowstorm. Albeit NW of the major cities, can we really in any way say that this is bad news? The only thing that would have been better than this run is if temps were perfect. Otherwise, my confidence level in seeing snow has jumped prodigiously. Not saying it's over 50% or anything like that, but definitely VERY in tune with what's going on. Let's go Canadian.

I think you are being too absolute about there being absolutely no similarity whatsoever. I can see distinct similarities in those maps. I guess it's a matter of perspective. And as I pointed out those upper level features all tracked right over DC in 1993 and in this GFS run further east, which is better, IMHO.

Absurdly huge rainstorm in the middle of winter? Well, honestly, I'd take a massive storm of any kind at this point over being permanently trapped in a precipitation-free bubble such as the one circling the mid-atlantic with every single system! Shame about the temperatures though... QPF is madness :P

Absurdly huge rainstorm in the middle of winter? Well, honestly, I'd take a massive storm of any kind at this point over being permanently trapped in a precipitation-free bubble such as the one circling the mid-atlantic with every single system! Shame about the temperatures though... QPF is madness :P

id rather have a snowstorm

I think you are being too absolute about there being absolutely no similarity whatsoever. I can see distinct similarities in those maps. I guess it's a matter of perspective. And as I pointed out those upper level features all tracked right over DC in 1993 and in this GFS run further east, which is better, IMHO.

I bolded the part that does not apply in the previous post. Surface track may be close--but that is no reason to compare it to such a storm. Many lows have tracked over that region in the past that are probably far more comparable.

There are some big differences at H5. Just having an insane closed H5 and other levels west doesn't make it similar. Compare 500mb in that link to the current portrayal by GFS. Not seeing it.

JB is always compareing to other great storms, and he over hypes alot( just like margusity) the only thing this storm may have in common is the change over to a mix( if that occurs)

I'm talking about the intensity of the coastal low. How many storms do you know of that place a 986mb low just east of DC? I'd welcome a better storm to compare this GFS run to, maybe the january 2000 storm?

<br /><br />

Is it really that close? Looked way off on the maps. What about BWI or APG?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Apt is 33-34 with 850 temps at 2 with an inch of liquid falling at height. You want to be as far west of the low as possible

I actually feel more confident that a storm for our area is on the GFS. Let's be real, its been really good this year compared to its past performance. I would argue much better than any other model in handling big storms in the mid range. Now, knowing our luck this will be a big rain event for Washington and BWI, but I am hopeful. This track would be a dream for Dulles west most likely. I don't even want to imagine the totals in higher elevation areas if this verified.

until there is continuity of either several ensuring runs or other globals looking the same this run has minimal support.

Thanks for checking in.

Sure thing. We don't have football games to worry about this weekend, so it's good to have a storm to track.

And for the record, I didn't come in here to taunt - I looked at that map and assumed it was mountains of snow. Didn't realize it was so warm - hard to fathom that a cold snap like this and a juicy southern stream doesn't amount to big snows.

Archived