• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

Not that it matters for your intent for the post, but the curiosity is that there's never been a late feb hecs. There are two periods in the peak snow months (Jan and Feb) that have been sparse in big storms for us: early Jan and late Feb. (1/96 was the clear exception)

Why do you all think that is? It's not like the periods before (December) and after (March) those two periods haven't seen big storms. The 10"+ storms in December and March actually end up spread more throughout the months. But there's something about late January through mid February that clusters most of our biggest.

i chose late feb because we need to fill that hole, and im thinking we may go back into big blocking before and that might be near the tail.

on why late jan/early feb im not sure other than maybe lag from the coldest period of the yr? i've been neglecting my spreadsheets lately.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Psu...checkout ggem on ewall from 144-160

it looks great at 144 but my ewall is not updated past 144 yet. GGEM at 12z had a nice storm but cut it up the coastal plain, it was a nice thump snow then dry slot/rain. I do think this might have rain/snow line issues from 95 south and east, but even if it does I think it would be a nice snow before a changeover.

at hr 144 the euro has a sub 1036 high in upstate ny...sub 1012 low in the gulf and one in minnesota

hr 156 has hvy snow breaking out in central va down to the norfolk to roa line

hr 162 has lgt to mod snow from phl to to stroudsburg then west along i80...mod snow in dc and balt, though the 850 line is just south of dc

hr 168 looks like the ggem...hvy snow from about i78 north and west...low is right over the tidewater sub 1008

Euro wub.gif PSU.

06Z GFS doesn't buy into the PSUHoffman storm. Strong high to the north suppresses a weak low OTS. Also looks like it leaves most of the energy back west. Can't put my finger on it but the run seems a little weird to me in how it progresses though.

The GFS is clueless, it does not have the storm the GEM and Euro have because its having issues with one of its usual biases, its driving the arctic high too far southeast, notice the GEM/Euro move it more due east, straddling the Canadian border...that is more typical of what occurs in the 500mb setup we will have...the GFS will gradually start shunting the high more eastward and hence the system will be able to come up the Coast...the faster the system ejects from the Plains the better since its a race against time before the high gets too far east...this goes for the entire East Coast up into southern New England, everyone starts as snow on the event, its just a question who will stay snow.

The GFS is clueless, it does not have the storm the GEM and Euro have because its having issues with one of its usual biases, its driving the arctic high too far southeast, notice the GEM/Euro move it more due east, straddling the Canadian border...that is more typical of what occurs in the 500mb setup we will have...the GFS will gradually start shunting the high more eastward and hence the system will be able to come up the Coast...the faster the system ejects from the Plains the better since its a race against time before the high gets too far east...this goes for the entire East Coast up into southern New England, everyone starts as snow on the event, its just a question who will stay snow.

Thanks. Looking at the run was bugging me that I couldn't figure out why it looked wrong. Not enough coffee I guess.

Do have a question though. Thought the upgrades to the GFS last summer were supposed to address that issue as well as the SE bias on coastal storms?

You mean the storm that gave me snow and sleet with temps in the mid 20s?

oh, so now you are satisfied with sleet? :unsure:

and how much snow and sleet vs. how much zr

what's left on your front lawn?

whether its warm on the surface or warm aloft, it fooks up snowfall

meh, its not worth expending any more energy on this winter....d@mn addiction

Archived