Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I hadn't realized that for most of us this was the last big snowfall...I got 9" from the late October storm last year, but that was a very localized thing. Guess I better predict another snowstorm soon! LOL

Even worse, several of us on the board were out of town for this one. I have not seen a 2" snowfall since Feb 10, 2010.

The insult to injury for me with that storm is I had the flu and I had it really bad that night. Fighting a 103 fever (highest I've ever had) so I was stuck in bed and I was so sore even my fingernails hurt. And then the power went out and the house kept getting colder and colder...I remember at one point thinking I was being punished for everything I ever did wrong in my life. House got down to the upper 30's and I had 12" of blankets piled on and was chattering. I didn't even get to enjoy the storm in any way shape or form. And that's where winter has left off for me. I guess sometimes if it wasn't for bad luck there would be no luck at all.

Even worse, several of us on the board were out of town for this one. I have not seen a 2" snowfall since Feb 10, 2010.

even having been here for it, if I don't see a 2" snow by the end of December it will be the longest gap since 2/97 - 1/99

not sure of a longer gap though I am sure there has been one....even 2/72 to 12/73 was shorter...

even having been here for it, if I don't see a 2" snow by the end of December it will be the longest gap since 2/97 - 1/99

not sure of a longer gap though I am sure there has been one....even 2/72 to 12/73 was shorter...

what makes it odd to me is that we (big cities) were close to a number of accumulating events during the current drought

we weren't even close to a decent event during the winters of 72/73 and 97/98

That storm was something of a bummer for me too. I was at college during the storm (College Park) and since the storm was so marginal in terms of temps, the heat island in that area caused the snow to melt while falling and it struggled to accumulate well no matter how hard it fell. Ended up with 4" of slop where I was, but meanwhile back home, it was well over a foot. Should've gone back, but oh well.

We need to shut down amwx, eastern was where the last big snow was, psuhoffman was an 11" hit for me so a secs for sure but our luck on this board is nothing like the past. Thats if we want to talk about bob chill and bad luck, and why not, its true.

anyone with a brain knew we'd be paying for 09-10 for a while

wth ever happened to Stormchaser Chuck?

I guess he never went into met as a career...anyone know?

He texted me sometime last year wanting to hang out but we never did. He WAS doing forecasting for some company then he said he was doing something else that was paying him GREAT money. Who knows what it was.

anyone with a brain knew we'd be paying for 09-10 for a while

Well, of course this isn't what happens with real weather, but playing with averages is kind of fun: 4 seasons averaging 5" per season allows us to "pay for" '09/'10 and give us our 15" average for the 5 years stretch.

We would need 8 seasons averaging 10" per season to "pay for" '09/'10 and get us our 15" average for the 9 year stretch.

Well, of course this isn't what happens with real weather, but playing with averages is kind of fun: 4 seasons averaging 5" per season allows us to "pay for" '09/'10 and give us our 15" average for the 5 years stretch.

We would need 8 seasons averaging 10" per season to "pay for" '09/'10 and get us our 15" average for the 9 year stretch.

No, it doesn't except that 09/10 was so far above the usual that of course we were likely to get 'skunked' after... even in a 'typical' DC area winter. Recently it's been famine intermixed with a few feasts.

We suffered after '95/'96 with a 6 winter stretch averaging 7.4" at DCA. We suffered after '02/'03 with a 6 winter stretch averaging 10" at DCA. After '86/'87 was a better stretch of 8 winters averaging 12" at DCA, but of course '86/'87 was much less than '95/'96 or '02/'03.

It never ceases to amaze me how horrible DCA winters are.

No, it doesn't except that 09/10 was so far above the usual that of course we were likely to get 'skunked' after... even in a 'typical' DC area winter. Recently it's been famine intermixed with a few feasts.

Yep-- 7.4" average for the six seasons after 95/96 was terrible.

Recently, the bigger the feast season, the more terrible the stretch afterwards. Of course that has to happen for our average to stay as low as it is.

• 1 month later...

That storm feels like forever ago, this just sucks.  Last winter didn't phase me at all... knew it was going to be awful from the start.  This winter I knew we were not going to get above normal or even normal but I really did think we would get some periods with snow, and a few moderate events...at least I thought DC would get close to 10" and my area maybe 25.  I could live with that.  2 winters in a row without a single significant event will be hard to stomach if our luck doesn't change soon. 

That storm feels like forever ago, this just sucks.  Last winter didn't phase me at all... knew it was going to be awful from the start.  This winter I knew we were not going to get above normal or even normal but I really did think we would get some periods with snow, and a few moderate events...at least I thought DC would get close to 10" and my area maybe 25.  I could live with that.  2 winters in a row without a single significant event will be hard to stomach if our luck doesn't change soon. 

Indeed, even 01-02 had one seemingly significant event (~4") before the rest of the winter torched away. But this winter and last, the deprivation is just brutal. I mean, people are begging for cartoppers these days. It's pathetic.

And no, I don't need any pompous moron to tell me that 09-10 spoiled us. None of us are asking for a KU every winter. For me, just a significant (warning criteria) storm or two.

/end of rant of the night

For me the pain is double since there has been a lack of snowfall just about everywhere.  I have not even been able to road trip to Vermont or jet to Colorado to get a powder fix, even the ski resorts are suffering.  Its been DRY DRY DRY for 2 years now across the CONUS. 

Last year was the worst snow year in the northern and central rockies of CO for decades. I lived in summit co from 92-99 and we only had one so-so year but we still bitched alot. Abasin only hit like 65" for a base that year (can't remember which year) and the backcountry never filled in well but total snow still hit 300". We had multiple 400" years though so I guess we were spoiled during the 90's.  

Last year the base barely hit 60 but the season was terrible. Spring snowfall was way off and that's the most important. This year Abasin is still sitting @ 22" base with less than 100" falling. They aren't even 50% open and it's late Jan. From what I hear, it's absolutely horrific conditions too. It's like that in many areas east of the pac coast ranges except for Wyoming. Jackson is doing well. If this keep up, it could be the worst year in modern history for CO resorts. We need a Nino bad man! For everyone's sanity!

Archived