Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an amazing morning...i've been outside most of it. constant 2-4 " per hour rates. 18.5 about 20 minutes ago....should be at 20 shortly. I hope this gets to you Birving and drops down and across to give a happy ending to Ray, Jerry and the crew. I look out the window and just can't believe it. 16.5 inches have fallen in 8 hours. I hope everyone is gettng outside and enjoying it!!!!

18.5" ... nice! :thumbsup: I'll check at the top of the hour but I'd guess just shy of 12" here. Going to take the kids out and do some shoveling so that mommy can get in the driveway.

Harv and all the guys at WHDH had a great network back in that day. I believe one of the forecasters lived somewhere down near Burriville. The maps they all ran with, and the reports from that time were 40-50".

For about two decades after that WHDH would run the maps on the anniversary that showed the exact same thing. When Todd Gross left, it appears the records went poof. For about ten years they had it all well documented on their site too.

Trust me, I lived through it and it still blows away everything I've been through. Duration, intensity, wind, effects on the coast etc.

That is neat.

Not sure if anyone would have measured five feet, but four for sure.

There is the one measurement of 54" in N RI that many discount but I could believe.

I wonder what Todd Gross would say?

16" here... A bit drifty so might be off an inch either way

Mod to heavy snow

I think it was paste along the coast. It sounded similar at home as well. That may have held totals down.

Scott, can you answer this question. How come the radar returns looked so prolific last night, but the visibility never dropped below a half mile in most SE areas at the height of the front end thump. Did the big flakes/bright banding make the intensity seem worse than it actually was in SE areas. I was all snow in Newport till 4am but it was having trouble accumulating because of the 33 degree temps.

Right; that is what I said......he said 50".

ray, not only were there multiple tv observer reports in the 45-55 inch range even NOAA acknowledges they had reports of 55". There were drifts between 20 and 25 feet where I lived, some homes were covered up to the roof

"Deepest Weather Service listed unofficial snowfall:� 55 inches (Lincoln, RI) -- Snow drifts as high as 27 feet

Harv and all the guys at WHDH had a great network back in that day. I believe one of the forecasters lived somewhere down near Burriville. The maps they all ran with, and the reports from that time were 40-50".

For about two decades after that WHDH would run the maps on the anniversary that showed the exact same thing. When Todd Gross left, it appears the records went poof. For about ten years they had it all well documented on their site too.

Trust me, I lived through it and it still blows away everything I've been through. Duration, intensity, wind, effects on the coast etc.

I was 2-yrs old living in Plymouth in '78. In the photo's we have, the snow in the driveway is waist high to my dad (6'). My brothers dug tunnels through the front yard. They had to go out a second floor window to shovel the snow from the front door. I could easily see 40" falling with that one. Only wish I was older to have remembered it.

Incidentally parents live in Danbury near the New Fairfield line now and reported 27" from today's storm. Brother in Wallingford, CT reported about 22".

ray, not only were there multiple tv observer reports in the 45-55 inch range even NOAA acknowledges they had reports of 55". There were drifts between 20 and 25 feet where I lived, some homes were covered up to the roof

"Deepest Weather Service listed unofficial snowfall:� 55 inches (Lincoln, RI) -- Snow drifts as high as 27 feet

My apologies, Scott....I'll defer.

That is neat.

Not sure if anyone would have measured five feet, but four for sure.

There is the one measurement of 54" in N RI that many discount but I could believe.

I wonder what Todd Gross would say?

16" here... A bit drifty so might be off an inch either way

Mod to heavy snow

Considering all the generic, young, dull people who are doing weather in this market it's a crime no one has picked up Todd Gross. Reiner and Dreier are young, skinny and good looking but neither one of them can hold a candle to Todd Gross and I'm sure the management at Channel 7 knows it.

Scott, can you answer this question. How come the radar returns looked so prolific last night, but the visibility never dropped below a half mile in most SE areas at the height of the front end thump. Did the big flakes/bright banding make the intensity seem worse than it actually was in SE areas. I was all snow in Newport till 4am but it was having trouble accumulating because of the 33 degree temps.

The snow was water logged due to the boundary layer warmth. Basically, there was crappy ratios because the snowflakes were likely big water logged aggregates. Wet snow can cause also cause high reflectivity.

Some great stuff here....http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/78blizzard.html

and here http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/papers/blizzard78_30yrs/Bliz78NWS_files/frame.htm

Point being....a lot of the reports we get now are unofficial back in those days. It's not like most of these are coming from official stations with actual observers like we had up until 10-15 years ago. Just saying, we had drifts up to the second story windows.

I only made the point because someone was complaining about a reported total by someone else....man up....we do it differently now and we will see a lot of variation in reports. It's not a competition...who cares what Joe Smith reported.

I think I read 40-50 inches?

"The official snowfall measurement for Hartford was a mere 19 inches, but that was taken at Trinity College, where the howling winds of the Blizzard of 1888 were hurling the snow down to Broad Street. Unofficial, and probably more accurate, measurements for this city were 36. Middletown got 50 inches, Marlborough 48, New Hartford 42."

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/hc-winter-storm031488,0,794681.story

Some great stuff here....http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/78blizzard.html

and here http://www.erh.noaa....files/frame.htm

Point being....a lot of the reports we get now are unofficial back in those days. It's not like most of these are coming from official stations with actual observers like we had up until 10-15 years ago. Just saying, we had drifts up to the second story windows.

I only made the point because someone was complaining about a reported total by someone else....man up....we do it differently now and we will see a lot of variation in reports. It's not a competition...who cares what Joe Smith reported.

It was me and I was proven wrong....like I said....sorry.

Remember the '78 storm followed a previous 18" or so dump about 10 or so days earlier. Can't remember exactly. So the photos I have were just insane!

Yea, about Jan 21 or so Boston set their all time snow record with like 21.8", followed by the OV bomb that melted most of it, then we rebroke the record with 27.5 in teh Feb 7 blizz.

Archived