SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any ideas why the sky is completely clear back here? It looks beautiful, but I didn't expect a brilliant blue sky at 7 am lol.

Wow...that's some sharp drying. We are still getting raked here. Visibility is an eighth of a mile...if its that much. Looks like almost 19" on the snow stake (4" was already there before the storm)

looks like the heavy band is finally starting to lift away, may not be affecting Danbury for much longer. the axis of the most intense snowfall has shifted east, basically right along Route 8.

ya finally right over my house, but i have a feeling it wont last more than 20-30 minutes look like the stall has stopped and steady snow should be out of western ct by 9 or 10am

About 12-13" in Dix Hills, NY.. Snow beginning to come to an end.. Overall, I think the models outlined the heavier bands quite well.. CT and Eastern LI are getting crushed.. NYC had a very good snowstorm.. 9" isn't anything to sneeze about and well, this is what was predicted..

Wish there was some blocking to our north.. This would have resulted in a crushing snowstorm for all of us..

At the end of the day, it appears that we have received more snow here than the blizzard on the 26th.. This is also fluffier snow.. and just looks much prettier.. The snow we got here in the blizzard was like sand..

Jeff

I noticed this. The difference is that after the post Christmas blizzard, the snow surface was littered with branches, leaves and whatever else blew out of the trees. This snow cover is white.

Wow...that's some sharp drying. We are still getting raked here. Visibility is an eighth of a mile...if its that much. Looks like almost 19" on the snow stake (4" was already there before the storm)

That's amazing! I just saw William's mailbox pic and you should have about the same-- at this rate you might get to 2 feet before it ends.

Between 8 and 11" here in uptown Manhattan, so I'll call it 9.5". Very nice. Asthetically pleasing, too: stuck to the trees.

Based on the reports, Im thinking Manhattan and the Bronx got in on a bit of the same band that hit the Lower Hudson Valley and Western CT (just a glancing blow.) Nassau and Suffolk had their own band. Brooklyn and Queens were caught in between and had lesser totals than even some parts of Jersey that were near the western limit of the band which glanced NYC.

That's amazing! I just saw William's mailbox pic and you should have about the same-- at this rate you might get to 2 feet before it ends.

That's a long shot, but given the way this band keeps delivering and some of the short term models keeping snow in here for a while longer, I'm not writing it off just yet, That would be 24" on the ground, meaning 20" of new snowfall. Its a long shot, but I'd take it.

Archived