joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snowstorm Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on. Look at the SLP initialized on the Euro. It's clear it IS missing something. People are so biased to the EURO or GFS like it can do no wrong. And, I know you can't stand the NAM, but you have to look in to it's strengths.

Here's the 18 hour forecast at 12z vs the 12h forecast at 18z.

It's delaying the bending of isobars yet again. And it's slowly moving towards other guidance aloft. Don't really care what it shows yet at the surface...if this is at all like last time we'll see some gentle ticks east...but as Mek and Wll etc have all said we have to watch for meso effects later tonight.

Again though not a difference between a hit or miss, just NAM/RGEM/Meso Gang and the mean.

anyone check out the 12z American WRF...much more tucked in than the GFS. The NAM is closer to the coast because of it's non-hydrostatic mesoscale physics...not because it's wrong. This used GFS boundary conditions.

Is that what's helping it not forecast 500mb correctly at six hours?

--

Scott, but if you ask people around NYC it "is" different...it's chopped the back edge of QPF sharpely...to come into agreement with the other models.

--

Scott, but if you ask people around NYC it "is" different...it's chopped the back edge of QPF sharpely...to come into agreement with the other models.

I know, it starts out east, but moves due north. I'm just saying what it shows.

--

?

The point is...even the the American WRF used GFS boundary conditions (every 6 hours most likely) it was more tucked in than the operational GFS...which gives credence to the more tucked in mesoscale solutions.

Based on the mid level low track I feel good about seeing a secondary QPF max just NW of where the models are showing it. Seems to always happen.

I was kind of wondering that about the Euro and GFS...don't they have a tendency to underestimate the impact of banding towards the western side of the QPF max? I feel like we saw that with the Dec 26th event in NY/NJ....and same thing maybe Dec 19 2009.

Archived