• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

I'm keeping it in mind. Just because it's a big let down for us up here I'm not discounting it. I'm thinking 6" mby ... hopefully that is too low.

Yeah, but we need to remember that instead of just weighing the NAM against the GFS, which are vastly different, the Euro is on our side too. Model consensus gives us much more than 6, so you should not be let down.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil MM 5 seems to be lock in step with Euro at fine detail, jackpots ELI RI BOS North Shore. I like its setup look. You would be OK.Also the geostrophic flow on this storm is signaling cold underbelly JMHO

42d4d0aa-5659-54f8.jpg

This is why I have a hard time buying the 06z NAM solution. I guess I'll see in about 1/2hr.

I disagree with this.... I think they will be wrong, but not a dig on them ...mainly because the NAM is my choice for guidance type on this event:

MEETING ALL BLIZZARD CRITERIA /FREQUENT

35 MPH GUSTS OR 35 MPH SUSTAINED WINDS WITH VISIBILITIES LESS THAN A

QUARTER MILE FOR THREE CONSECUTIVE HOURS/ IS UNLIKELY.

Using the NAM, there is no way to realize those QPF in snow, inside of 9 hours, with 35kts in middle BL flow, without registering a blizzard. Those winds will gust down with ease across 3-5 hours of max impact.

Phil MM 5 seems to be lock in step with Euro at fine detail, jackpots ELI RI BOS North Shore. I like its setup look. You would be OK.Also the geostrophic flow on this storm is signaling cold underbelly JMHO

42d4d0aa-5659-54f8.jpg

Man, thats one beautiful model output, Reeks of snowbomb, bigtime winds. I'm gitty someone pinch me...oh boy!

The timing on this is such that I might be able to score another snow day from work. Not that I dislike my job, but I'd get to stay home, be a complete weenie and do naked snow angels.

LOL me too, snow day sat day off sun mon , have to go in for a while today then wed off? Silicon naked weenism enroute

yeah steve...the good thing for you folks is the difference is meaningless really.

for my area...there is a monster bust potential in both directions.

the NMM is basically a snowbomb across 90% of the cape. some of the local WRF runs are as well.

I disagree with this.... I think they will be wrong, but not a dig on them ...mainly because the NAM is my choice for guidance type on this event:

MEETING ALL BLIZZARD CRITERIA /FREQUENT

35 MPH GUSTS OR 35 MPH SUSTAINED WINDS WITH VISIBILITIES LESS THAN A

QUARTER MILE FOR THREE CONSECUTIVE HOURS/ IS UNLIKELY.

Using the NAM, there is no way to realize those QPF in snow, inside of 9 hours, with 35kts in middle BL flow, without registering a blizzard. Those winds will gust down with ease across 3-5 hours of max impact.

Sustained 35 kts (what is that... 39mph?) for 3 hours might be possible... but only on the Cape???

Question to the mets on blizzard criteria. I seem to remember a time where one of the criteria for blizzard was extreme or excessive cold. Am I wrong? To me, it speaks to severity - especially for travel. There is a huge difference in how your windshield wipers treat snow at 32 degrees and 20 degrees - especially when it's coming down hard like it will be tomorrow (we assume). Thanks all.

Question to the mets on blizzard criteria. I seem to remember a time where one of the criteria for blizzard was extreme or excessive cold. Am I wrong? To me, it speaks to severity - especially for travel. There is a huge difference in how your windshield wipers treat snow at 32 degrees and 20 degrees - especially when it's coming down hard like it will be tomorrow (we assume). Thanks all.

temperature used to be part of it. now it's just wind and visibility.

i think it's a very close call for parts of the area. i see tip's point and also see BOX's reasoning. it's also a pretty short duration event.

Archived