joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Storm Dicussion - January 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares? It's garbage. I sincerely hope there isn't anyone met or otherwise that is factoring any aspect of the GFS into their forecast

Will said 70% NAM 30% GFS which is basically where the EURO and its ensembles are-- so that would be a 1.25" qpf average with some regions near 1" and others near 1.50" with a max of 1.75" thrown in over E MA.

It did.. 6z was more amped than 00z..It always always plays catch up..Garbage in/garbage out

Yeah I agree it will play "catch up" but the NAM will come down as well...like I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking we'll see closer to 1-1.25'' QPF here in CT and thinking ratios will be around 12:1 maybe a bit more I'll side with 8-16'' with my next map but I just want to wait and see what the 12z models have to say regarding QPF and such.

Who cares? It's garbage. I sincerely hope there isn't anyone met or otherwise that is factoring any aspect of the GFS into their forecast

Call ALB immediately.

MOST CONSERVATIVE HAS BEEN THE GFS WHICH KEEPS THE SURFACE LOW THE

FURTHEST OFFSHORE...AND ALL PARTS OF THE ALY FORECAST AREA AT LESS

THAN AN INCH LIQUID EQUIVALENT. MOST AGGRESSIVE HAS BEEN THE NAM

WHICH CURRENTLY HAS OVER AN INCH LIQUID AS FAR WEST AS THE SCHOHARIE

VALLEY...CAPITAL DISTRICT AND SOUTHERN SARATOGA/SOUTHERN WASHINGTON

COUNTIES AREA. WHEN LOOKING AT THE ENSEMBLE PLUME DIAGRAMS FROM THE

TWO...THE GFS MEMBERS ARE MUCH MORE CONSISTENT/SHOW MUCH LESS SPREAD

THAN THE NAM. ECMWF/CANADIAN MODELS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THE GFS/NAM

MODELS.

STILL BELIEVE THE BEST DYNAMICS WILL REMAIN CLOSER TO THE COAST AND

ALSO FEEL MORE CONFIDENT IN THE GFS SOLUTION DUE TO THE BETTER

CONSISTENCY BETWEEN THE ENSEMBLE MEMBERS. HAVE FORECAST AMOUNTS THAT

ARE SOMEWHAT HIGHER THAN THE GFS WOULD SUGGEST OVER THE SOUTHEAST

AND EASTERN PART OF THE FORECAST AREA...AND FAIRLY CLOSE TO THE GFS

LIQUID EQUIVALENTS ELSEWHERE. THIS RESULTS IN SNOWFALL TOTALS ACROSS

SOUTHEAST AND EASTERN AREAS THAT RESULT IN THE NEED FOR WINTER STORM

WARNINGS...WITH AMOUNTS RANGING BETWEEN 6 AND 16 INCHES IN THESE

AREAS...BASED ON A SNOW TO LIQUID RATION OF 15:1 FOR THE EVENT.

I'm going to an all day conference and have to present for an hour. Talk is 11:15. I'll probably start with model comparisons as folks will be concerned about tomorrow's storm......

my experience in similar situations: the audience is far more interested in the weather bulletin than the talk itself ... laugh.gif

And of course the SREF haven't strayed from the course one iota. Not to mention the NAM...

Still sticking with 8-14'' for MBY, but that might be a hair conservative it seems.

To be fair, the NAM has gone all over the place within a 50 miles envelope with no run to run consistency other than to say this low will be closer in than originally thought which appears to be a win for it.

To be fair, the NAM has gone all over the place within a 50 miles envelope with no run to run consistency other than to say this low will be closer in than originally thought which appears to be a win for it.

Yes, that's a good point...though I meant it hasn't really wavered with the overall further west situation, which you mentioned.

Archived