Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the 72 QPF.

The other day CoastalWx/Scott was telling me that the GEFS were less meaningful to him at this range vs the OP. I'm presuming that's resolution but I'm not sure I got an answer on that?

18zgfsensemblep72072.gif

I was saying that at 48 hours out, it's time to start using the op solution and less ensembles, but it would be a case by case basis. If there is still wiggle room potential that would cause a big change in sensible wx, I think it's wise to incorporate it.

Not sure you saw the bump...the other day you were telling me the GFS ENS at this range were less meaningful to you v the OP. Is that resolution based or just personal preference?

GFS ensembles are usually southeast of the OP run...almost all the time...especially in coastal systems. If you see them northwest consistently, I've found it to be a bit of a red flag.

I was saying that at 48 hours out, it's time to start using the op solution and less ensembles, but it would be a case by case basis. If there is still wiggle room potential that would cause a big change in sensible wx, I think it's wise to incorporate it.

Got it. I didn't know if we covered whether there was a resolution difference on the GEFS v GFS...I think they're the same early?

Yeah, if we take 150% of that.

Lol that was funny.

wwlp is going 6 to 8 for me wtf haha!!?

Rip and read the GFS.

Brian and crew are on the job and doing their best!

I interned there with Brian for a bit, and while he's no Harvey Leonard, I can vouch that he's not a pure rip and reader. When your primary market is from Enfield, CT up the valley through Greenfield, you're wise to show caution. Basically make a forecast based on the models and subtract 25% at least. Try to keep the surprise to the upside. And I bet they bump it up to 8-14" tonight.

(also 6-8 is a smaller than normal range, so maybe they'll go with 10-12 or something.)

GFS ensembles are usually southeast of the OP run...almost all the time...especially in coastal systems. If you see them northwest consistently, I've found it to be a bit of a red flag.

How so? I wondered this because the other day they were NW of the OP and everything ended up further SE in terms of the

"comma" head. Noted it a couple of other times, but I suppose that could be the result of a few members going balls to the walls skewing the party?

This seems like sort of a new thing that inside of 36-48 hours we're relying on the ensembles quite a bit...I realize the EC ens are a different ballgame

How so? I wondered this because the other day they were NW of the OP and everything ended up further SE in terms of the

"comma" head. Noted it a couple of other times, but I suppose that could be the result of a few members going balls to the walls skewing the party?

This seems like sort of a new thing that inside of 36-48 hours we're relying on the ensembles quite a bit...I realize the EC ens are a different ballgame

Well given that their solution also happens to agree with SREF and Euro ensembles, its also confidence that the OP GFS is probably too far SE. If you take all the guidance as a whole. I don't think its ever as simple as just saying "ensembles are NW of OP, so that means its coming NW"....you want to take a look and see how that compares to other guidance.

Archived