Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys... I was just thinking after reading the observations that I'm not even sure exactly where some of you are, especially you NH and ME folks.

Using the mesomap right now I decided to mark my location with a red dot (should've made it bigger, its inside blue circle on lower right of the 33F box). The blue circle is just to show where my obs from the mountain/work are coming from. Those two stations are ones I use at work... 33F is at 1,600ft at the base of Stowe ski resort and the 21F is the summit at 3,900ft. My home is just down the road but like 800ft lower, so I generally run a few degrees warmer than the base area (like right now its 36F out).

I'd be curious to see where some of the rest of you are (like Wxeye, Jayhawk, Dryslot, Tamarack, etc)...

mesomap.jpg

Powderfreak, Red circle is where i am located, Right over my weather station.............. :thumbsup:

Here is my location on the mesomap. I have a Davis Vantage Pro and for the life of me I can't get the station up on the WX Underground site. My webcam is always on but the weather station only broadcasts when my desktop is fired up.

Link to my weather station and webcam http://www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/

post-268-0-30049300-1290814363.jpg

Powderfreak, Red circle is where i am located, Right over my weather station.............. :thumbsup:

Man both of you look to be in a prime spot for a crushing nor'easter. I lived for a year on the north shore of Mass and really enjoyed the few ocean storms I saw... you guys are also in a good looking CAD location.

I really like my location in NH. Only problem (and I shouldn't be picky) is downsloping off the Whites prevents good snow squalls like you guys get in Vermont. Many times while its accumulating in Vermont and the NH Whites I just have constant flurries in the air without accumulations.

Man both of you look to be in a prime spot for a crushing nor'easter. I lived for a year on the north shore of Mass and really enjoyed the few ocean storms I saw... you guys are also in a good looking CAD location.

That's the idea. lol Been quite a while.. I'd have to check my records but the last decent one was in early January I'm pretty sure.

I really like my location in NH. Only problem (and I shouldn't be picky) is downsloping off the Whites prevents good snow squalls like you guys get in Vermont. Many times while its accumulating in Vermont and the NH Whites I just have constant flurries in the air without accumulations.

Yeah, you look just about perfect for locking in cold air in SW flow events (today's a great example)...which comes in handy for snowpack retention.. and you've gotta upslope on an east or southeast wind in that spot. I almost went to Plymouth State and liked the location for storms. I bet 1,000+ in that area is awesome.

You also have one of the sweetest web cams out there... love that view.

Nice post. I wonder if we'll be able to get some squalls as far south as Killington/Okemo tomorrow.

Definitely in the Killington area... not sure about Ludlow/Okemo but probably. Killington does much better than Okemo in anything on a westerly flow, while Okemo gets the nod on easterly flow. Killington Peak at over 4,000ft upslopes from the low 300-700ft Rutland area... couple that with the Killington village area having some much higher elevations than Okemo/Ludlow, and dry air isn't as much of a problem in these "showery" events.

Yeah, you look just about perfect for locking in cold air in SW flow events (today's a great example)...which comes in handy for snowpack retention.. and you've gotta upslope on an east or southeast wind in that spot. I almost went to Plymouth State and liked the location for storms. I bet 1,000+ in that area is awesome.

You also have one of the sweetest web cams out there... love that view.

I agree... love when those get posted

I agree... love when those get posted

The camera is a Stardot. I spent quite a bit of money on it but enjoy it too. The view was really nice this afternoon with clouds below and above. This was the view with the ice on the trees around 1 or 2pm. This was from my cellphone camera not the webcam so slightly different view.

Gene

post-268-0-71398100-1290822382.jpg

My 5:30am obs:

Village 800ft: Non-measurable dusting of snow... flurries at 29F

Ski Area Base 1,550ft: 1/2" snow... steady light snow at 26F

Ski Area Summit: 3,600ft: 1" snow... light to moderate snow at 16F

Here at 7:45am... steady light snow continues in the base area.

Lets go Upslope Machine! I feel like we've got a great shot at a period of moderate to heavy snow squalls today... bookended by occasional/steady --Sn/-Sn

Lets go Upslope Machine! I feel like we've got a great shot at a period of moderate to heavy snow squalls today... bookended by occasional/steady --Sn/-Sn

The “Heavy Snow” icon is hanging out in our point and click for today, with the following text:

Today: Snow showers likely, mainly between 11am and 3pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 27. South wind around 14 mph becoming west. Winds could gust as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

There aren’t any advisories associated with this event, but there is a hazardous weather outlook:

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW YORK...CENTRAL VERMONT...NORTHEAST VERMONT...NORTHWEST VERMONT AND SOUTHERN VERMONT.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

SNOW SQUALLS ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE AREA AS A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES EAST THROUGH QUEBEC AROUND MIDDAY. 1 TO 3 INCHES OF ACCUMULATIONS MAY FALL DURING THIS TIME.

With all the moisture flow that has been visible on the BTV composite radar for several hours now, I’m surprised that there’s nothing yet at the house, but based on the accumulations you detailed, it sounds like the lower elevations are not really into the action yet.

Definitely in the Killington area... not sure about Ludlow/Okemo but probably. Killington does much better than Okemo in anything on a westerly flow, while Okemo gets the nod on easterly flow. Killington Peak at over 4,000ft upslopes from the low 300-700ft Rutland area... couple that with the Killington village area having some much higher elevations than Okemo/Ludlow, and dry air isn't as much of a problem in these "showery" events.

Oh yeah, you're right. I didn't realize the area west of Ludlow on the other side of the spine was not as low as the Rutland area.

Just pulled up google earth and you can see it pretty clearly.

With all the moisture flow that has been visible on the BTV composite radar for several hours now, I’m surprised that there’s nothing yet at the house, but based on the accumulations you detailed, it sounds like the lower elevations are not really into the action yet.

Yeah we are battling dry air in the lower elevations, even here at 1,500ft it has been a lot lighter than it is on the upper half of the mountain between 2,500-3,600ft... even so it has been a steady, light snow. Visibilities have been generally around 1 mile here at the base.

Everyone coming up to the hill is reporting flurries still down in the village and then you hit a wall of steadier snow near the Matterhorn Bar on the Mountain Road.

With that said, it is snowing steadily and heavily at the summit where dry air is no concern. Beautiful, big upslope/lake effect flakes and lots of them...you collect a decent amount on your jacket on the ride up the Quad. I'm going back out in a little bit to get some updated measurements but I bet we are up to 2" at the summit so far.

Let it snow... composite radar looks good for continued moisture feed into the northern Green upslope region including Bolton, Smuggs, Stowe, and Jay.

BTV's 4km WRF has almost 0.3" liquid for Stowe and Jay Peak later today. Maybe 3-6" with some fluff factor added in?

If we get .3" liquid we will have at least 3-6"... this stuff is like air. Classic upslope/lake effect massive dendrites that just pike up quickly. Its the type of stuff where you can still see the ground surface through an inch or two of dust. This is the low ratio stuff that really piles up but doesn't do all that much for creating a snowpack. Oh well, we'll take whatever we can get. Snow globe fluff out there right now...another good burst moving through.

Was just at the top of the mountain... 2" new up there, 1" new at base.

Wall of snow could be seen moving in from the west over the Champlain Valley... snow just starting to pick up again. If we are going to grab some more inches it'll be in the next couple hours. Yellows on composite is moderate to heavy snow over the mountain.

Yeah, It can either be real good or gets ugly, I have to battle the coastal front at times and it seems at times it gets just NW of me here but when it stays SE of me we can get a lot of snow with the right track...... :snowman:

Looks like a pretty nice batch of snowshowers firing up on radar over the western maine mtns moving east......

Yeah, I saw that. GYX has increased snow chances here from 20% yesterday to 40% currently, which buoys my hopes. Radar looks good upstream. Wind is ripping pretty good w/ gusts approaching 30 at SFM. Jay in Bridgton probably would've seen snow if he wasn't back in Mass.

Archived