Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30F -SN

Eyeballing it I'd say we have a fresh 1/2" or so on elevated and grassy surfaces. Everything is white except for pavement which is just wet.

Gonna have to brush the car off this morning :thumbsup:

Looking at the obs last night, MVL and MPV both had some decent shots of snow (thanks to orographic lift) while BTV was left dry. I love seeing the two interior VT ASOS sites report hour after hour of light snow while BTV is just cloudy.

I'm curious as to what others picked up... I bet klm, J.Spin, and Mreaves all have something to report this morning.

The closest thing to a real-time pic... here's a webcam out of Morrisville (not far from KMVL) and representative of what it looks like outside my place, too:

And a few miles up the road from me at the ski resort base:

Any of this make it over to you guys in NH and ME?

Not here, We get downsloped.....

If you want to call my 2 min of a couple sleet pellets in +RN, Ok...Really none of us other then Northern and NW maine have seen squat....Yet..... :weight_lift:

No traces IMBY overnight, though enough clouds to keep the temp above 20. Not sure the foothills qualify for N/NW Maine, but we did see white ground on 10/31, for a couple hr (0.9" IMBY.) For November, just a couple sleety starts to RA events. Hope the +precip continues, though - only another 0.05" to make this the 3rd straight month above normal, and NNE snow is usually almost directly proportional to precip. (Forget last winter!)

No traces IMBY overnight, though enough clouds to keep the temp above 20. Not sure the foothills qualify for N/NW Maine, but we did see white ground on 10/31, for a couple hr (0.9" IMBY.) For November, just a couple sleety starts to RA events. Hope the +precip continues, though - only another 0.05" to make this the 3rd straight month above normal, and NNE snow is usually almost directly proportional to precip. (Forget last winter!)

We have not even had a trace amount here i know NW of you has seen accumulating snows as i have friends over in Jackman, Also in Eustis, Some of the foothills as well have had snow but we the folks that are considered in the coastal plain have not seen anything yet, Could start to change starting with thanksgiving..

Just found out from my wife that we had some graupel at home 10-11 this morning - nothing at all here in AUG. Now the forecast has:

1. Pretty much squashed the T-Day storm (esp gfs) tho there's plenty of time to change.

2. Added powerful winds (to 50 mph?) for tomorrow midday, which should really help the deer hunting. :P

Just found out from my wife that we had some graupel at home 10-11 this morning - nothing at all here in AUG. Now the forecast has:

1. Pretty much squashed the T-Day storm (esp gfs) tho there's plenty of time to change.

2. Added powerful winds (to 50 mph?) for tomorrow midday, which should really help the deer hunting. :P

1. Yeah i think we see it flop for a few more days but we may see our 1st flakes....

2. Yeah it sucks hunting in the wind have to rely almost strictly on sight......

Picked up 0.4" last night.

Nice... I keep a ruler in my car and measured .6" on the roof-top. Not sure if that's cheating but I would imagine a car-top is pretty similar to an elevated white snowboard. A little further up Mountain Road I measured .9" at a certain resort and spa that sits around 950-1,000ft.

Around 3pm I went up to put in a couple hours of work at the ski resort and found nearly 1.5" at the Admin/Toll House area at 1,300ft and there was around 2" (grass covered) up at 1,550ft at Mountain Ops. I was surprised at just how much the base of the mountain had... I know 2" doesn't seem like much but it looks a lot different than the half inch we got in town. It was obvious the Mountain Road/108 had been plowed at some point this morning by the state and 2" made the base area look nice and wintery.

Reports from snowmakers of 3-4" of fluffy 20F snow at the top of the Quad at 3,600ft.

Snow guns were roaring up there and they were going top to bottom with several guns going in the base area all day long. Nice to see enough chill to allow 24hr snowmaking in the lower elevations. High temp at Mtn Ops was 28F and 800ft lower down here in town my high was 32F, which makes this the first day with a high temp at or below freezing.

Now attention turns to this clipper coming through tonight... maybe we can dust the snowboards again when the cold front moves through. QPF looks very low and barely measurable over the mountains, so I'm not too optimistic we measure but there should at least be another round of snow showers and flurries late tonight and tomorrow morning.

I was a little surprised to see as much snow stick around my house today as did. The grass in the backyard is still covered as is my deck. My six year old didn't want to wake up this morning until I said it had snowed and then he almost flew out his bed to the window. As soon as he looked out he said Whoa!. Anyway, down to 20.7. A little colder than I thought it was going to be.

We did pick up close to an inch of rain from that system though, and I believe we've passed 50 inches of liquid for the calendar year at this location, but I'll have to check my numbers later.

I finally had a chance to check my numbers, and the rainfall here for the calendar year is currently at 48.92 inches, so we still have about an inch to go before we reach 50.

I didn't see any signs of snow here overnight, and when I took a look at the radar this morning it seemed that the precipitation was all to the north of us.

Heavy graupel and snow right now... dippin dots type stuff. Very windy, too, here at 1,300ft.

Coating of icy snow on the ground.

Temp was 39F and has now fallen to 35F in the past 15 minutes.

Had a low overnight of 23.0F, See some showers starting to pop up south of the foothills dropping SE to warm here for frozen me thinks.....

We had a nice squall line come through a little before noon. I whitened the dirt areas and the temp is dropping again. We had briefly jumped to 43 but are back down to 36 now. The snow/ graupel was coming down at a nice rate for about 10 minutes but is just a few flakes now. We had a little light snow this morning with the warm front but it wasn't enough to even collect on the windshields.

Read that GYX lifted the wind advisory at 6:22 this evening, ironic because the strongest gust by far hit MBY about 7, with much house creaking followed by som crashing outside. I've retrieved the gas grill's plastic rain cover many times - will do so again in daylight - but this time the whole machine was blown over. First time for everything. Not the strongest wind I've had here, maybe 40 in that one gust, but it must've hit just right. I'd planned to move the grill to its winter home under the back porch, but events (mainly searching- successfully - for our Lab who'd not returned last night) changed things and now I've got to pick up the pieces that got tossed onto the lawn.

Had 22 at 9 last night and expected teens, but clouds bumped the dawn temp to about 28. Clouds broke to full sun at 9, back to clouds (now with wind, gusts maybe 30) by 11, then short periods of various mixes noon to 1P. Had mix/IP/graupel/flakes, enough to wet the ground but no more.

The models must be flip-flopping, at least the ones GYX is basing forecasts on. This morning they called for a strong fast RA event late Tues into Wed, and no T-Day storm. This evening the midweek soaker is just chance of showers, and the discussion included a potential coastal sometime late Wed to early Fri. Stay tuned, I guess.

Still hoping for some accumulating snow from the Thu-Fri system although I fear it won't be much more than just mood setting flakes.

Down to 28.5F following a high of 50.0F. Record low maxes for tomorrow are generally in the mid 20s so no records, but it will still be chilly with a lot of highs in that 30-35 range and dews flirting with the single digits..

Still hoping for some accumulating snow from the Thu-Fri system although I fear it won't be much more than just mood setting flakes.

Down to 28.5F following a high of 50.0F. Record low maxes for tomorrow are generally in the mid 20s so no records, but it will still be chilly with a lot of highs in that 30-35 range and dews flirting with the single digits..

I am hopeful for some flakes as well, Gfs looked interesting at 00Z and the 00Z Euro is coming out now and looks like it may be trending towards the gfs but still has a ways to go, Down to 28.4f here pretty blustery out tonight with winds out of the NE around 10 mph G 15mph

00z GFS is very interesting... this has major upslope snow event written all over it.

I really like where this is heading. Regardless of what happens prior, it appears the storm will deepen rapidly off to the northeast of our area.

The 00z GFS solution would be disgusting for us in the Greens up here.. this is a full 24 hour NW flow event.

Hour 162

Still cranking 18 hours later at 180

And remember, in these situations the larger grid models will under-estimate QPF every single time and verbatim this would crush the western slopes, spine, and a good chunk of northern VT.

I bet on a smaller grid model like the WRF or NAM this would be shown as 1"+ QPF along the Green Mountain Spine with a large area of 1/2-1" on immediate areas just west and east of the spine. I'm interested in this storm now, haha.

00z GFS is very interesting... this has major upslope snow event written all over it.

I really like where this is heading. Regardless of what happens prior, it appears the storm will deepen rapidly off to the northeast of our area.

... I'm interested in this storm now, haha.

Yup, looking pretty good for the mountains. Even here it's looking like I could see some frozen out of the deal, which is a nice bonus on this holiday weekend.

Archived