Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

Event totals: 11.4” Snow/2.11” L.E.

Friday 12/17/2010 8:00 P.M. update: We picked up an inch of snow during the day today, although I’m guessing it was on the early side based on the radar. On a seasonal note, this addition of snowfall pushed the total accumulation past 40 inches and we are running about 4 inches ahead of the average calculated from the past four seasons. This evening we’ve just got flurries falling.

Some details from the 8:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 33.3

Snow Density: 3.0%

Temperature: 18.7 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 7.5 inches

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really had a feeling that this would be a very snowy month for the Greens. Glad to see it's paying off as well.

We’re about midway through the month, so I decided to check my snowfall numbers and see how we’re actually doing relative to the average from the past several years. For my location, the average I have for December snowfall through the 17th of the month is 26.1 inches. So far in December 2010 we have seen 36.9 inches, so that’s 10.8 inches above average. We have been on a pace for ~70 inches in the month, which would rival December 2007 and certainly be a big month of snowfall.

For the whole season however, we aren’t doing quite as well because of the slow November. The total of 40.3 inches of snowfall that I have recorded this season is only slightly above the average of 35.9 inches.

It’s certainly been snowy, although we really haven’t had a huge synoptic snowstorm yet so December hasn’t necessarily felt as impressive as it would if there were a couple of Nor’easters thrown in the mix. If that lakes cutter system from last Sunday had been all snow instead of a sandwich of snow on the ends and rain in the middle, then the overall impression of the snowfall this month would have been much greater because the snowpack would be deeper for everyone.

We’ll have to see if the second half of the month can hold pace with the first half in terms of snowfall. It looks like things slow down for the weekend, but perhaps next week they will pick up again. BTV is certainly monitoring the possibility of retrograde snows in their latest long-term discussion segment, and that has clearly been a trend this month:

…THIS IS NOT TO SAY THERE WON`T BE ANY SNOWFALL. INDEED...MODELS HAVE ALSO MAINTAINED CONSISTENCY IN SHOWING INVERTED WARM FRONT OF MARITIME ORIGIN BACKING WEST/SOUTHWESTWARD ACROSS NEW ENGLAND BY LATER MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY/TUESDAY NIGHT BEFORE WEAKENING. THIS WILL LIKELY PROVIDE IMPETUS FOR A 12-24 HR PERIOD OF LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOWS ACROSS THE NRN MTNS INTO THE NRN VALLEYS...WHERE SEVERAL INCHES MAY FALL. A QUICK LOOK AT GFS SOUNDING PROFILES AT KBTV SHOWS CLASSIC VEERED WARM AIR ADVECTION PATTERN THROUGH 850MB WITH BLOCKING INVERSION NEAR MTN TOP LEVEL. IF THIS PANS OUT...LOCALIZED HEAVIER ACCUM WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE WESTERN SLOPES OF OUR NRN GREEN MTNS AND EVEN INTO THE VT SIDE OF THE NRN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY. HIGH FLUFF FACTOR TYPICAL WITH THESE MARITIME EVENTS SHOULD ENSURE ONLY MODEST IMPACTS...HOWEVER AT LEAST A FEW SPOTS ACROSS NRN VT MAY SEE A MARGINALLY PLOWABLE SNOWFALL DURING THE TUE/TUE NIGHT TIME FRAME SO STAY TUNED.

It was nice to finally see the sun today... temps near 20F, some fresh powder, and no wind is the recipe for a beautiful December day in New England:

Off the Mountain Road between the ski resort and the blinking red light at village center...

The shadows are long very, very late in the morning these days. This was like 11am.

And lastly, a shot from late afternoon/early evening from the village...

0.3" overnight.

0.3" overnight here too--keeping the streak alive of 8 consecutive mornings with measureable snow and 15 days so far in December with at least a trace....and yet only 3.5" on the ground to show for it, lol. But, as dmcginvt said, at least it's white out there and looks like winter. :)

Clealry the coastal is a whiff but the retro might bring more fun back in here by mid-week. HPC days 4-5 maps look good for you Maine/NH dudes and not bad for here either.

Nice shots Powder. I'll have to squeeze off a few pics myself today....

Event totals: 12.3” Snow/2.13” L.E.

Saturday 12/18/2010 6:00 A.M. update: At some point, last night’s flurries turned into accumulating snow overnight, and we wound up with 0.9 inches on the board this morning. Just when it seems the low pressure up north is done, it keeps on having an influence. From the BTV discussion this morning:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 358 AM EST SATURDAY...PERSISTENT LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM REMAINS OVER NORTHERN PORTIONS OF ONTARIO/QUEBEC THIS MORNING. WK SFC RIDGE BUILDING IN ALONG THE COAST IS CREATING LGT WSW WINDS OVER MUCH OF THE CWA. THIS FLOW MVG OVER LK ONTARIO...IS CONTINUING A LK EFFECT SNOW BAND. BULK OF -SW IS FALLING OVER SOUTHERN DACKS/ST LAW VALLEY...WITH SOME MOISTURE WORKING INTO THE CVLY. LOW TO OUR NORTH WILL RETROGRADE FURTHER WEST DURING THE MORNING HRS...ALLOWING FOR LK BAND TO ORIENTATE MORE N-S AND EVENTUALLY OUT OF THE CWA. AREAS NEAR LK ONTARIO WILL SEE ANOTHER 1-2" BFR TAPERING OFF...WHILE REST OF AREA CVLY AND WEST...WILL SEE AN INCH OR LESS. CLD COVER SLOW TO ERODE DURING THE COURSE OF THE DAY SO DO EXPECT SOME LGT -SW/--SW W/ NO ADDITIONAL ACCUM. GOING INTO TNGT...RIDGE IN PLACE OVER THE NE REGION. MOST AREAS WILL SEE SKIES GOING PCLDY W/ TEMPS DROPPING INTO THE TEENS.

The northern portions of Ontario and Quebec seem quite a distance away from here, so I was curious how we were still getting so much influence from that low. I pulled up the surface map from weather.com and it’s possible to just make out the low at the top of the image. The influence of the cyclonic flow is visible right down to the Great Lakes/international border:

18DEC10A.jpg

Based on my records, we are now far enough along that the 7-day totals kept by the ski areas should represent the snowfall from just this latest event, so for those Vermont areas that report them, here’s what I’ve seen:

Jay Peak: 24”

Stowe: 18”

Bolton Valley: 18”

Killington: 14”

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations at the house are below:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 45.0

Snow Density: 2.2%

Temperature: 17.4 F

Sky: Mostly Clear/Flurries

Snow at the stake: 7.5 inches

After this event, it seems that the “out to sea Nor’easter” is still on to bring in some precipitation as Allenson mentioned. After the daytime period today, our point forecast doesn’t have any sort of snow in it until Sunday night, which appears to be in association with that event:

.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 358 AM EST SATURDAY...CORE OF SFC RIDGE WILL REMAIN JUST TO OUT WEST SUNDAY INTO MONDAY. THIS WILL SET UP NORTHERLY FLOW OVER THE ENTIRE REGION DURING THIS TIME. PUSH OF CD CANADIAN AIR WILL PERSIST...KEEPING TEMPS NEAR NORMAL DURING THIS TIME. LOW PRESSURE BUILDING OFFSHORE WILL SWING MOISTURE ASHORE INTO THE AREA. WITH INCR MOISTURE/QPF POTENTIAL...CLD COVER WILL INCR ALONG WITH CHANCE FOR SOME LGT -SW. THIS SYSTEM OFFSHORE WAS SYSTEM EARLIER IN WEEK THAT MDLS WOULD HAVE KICKED ASHORE ENOUGH QPF TO WARRANT MAJOR WINTER EVENT...NOW SYSTEM TO REMAIN OFFSHORE.

With that system offshore, it looks like the December trend around here will continue:

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

AS OF 358 AM EST SATURDAY...SIMILAR SCENARIO TO WHAT WE HAVE SEEN FOR MUCH OF DECEMBER WILL TAKE PLACE DURING THE FIRST PART OF THE EXTENDED. EXPECT ANOTHER UPPER LOW TO OUR EAST TO SPREAD SOME ATLANTIC MOISTURE INTO THE REGION FROM THE NORTH AND NORTHEAST TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT. WILL CONTINUE TO MENTION THE CHANCE OF SNOW DURING THIS TIME FRAME. IN THE WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY TIME PERIOD...EXPECT NORTH TO NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT TO DEVELOP OVER THE AREA...WHICH WILL TEND TO CONCENTRATE ANY PRECIPITATION OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. FLOW ALOFT BACK TO THE WEST ON FRIDAY AND BRINGS ANY PRECIPITATION TO AN END. TEMPERATURES WILL GENERALLY BE AT OR SLIGHTLY BELOW SEASONAL NORMALS THROUGH THE ENTIRE PERIOD.

0.3" overnight here too--keeping the streak alive of 8 consecutive mornings with measureable snow and 15 days so far in December with at least a trace....and yet only 3.5" on the ground to show for it, lol. But, as dmcginvt said, at least it's white out there and looks like winter. :)

Clealry the coastal is a whiff but the retro might bring more fun back in here by mid-week. HPC days 4-5 maps look good for you Maine/NH dudes and not bad for here either.

Nice shots Powder. I'll have to squeeze off a few pics myself today....

Same boat here....we received .1" which considering going to bed to bright moons and thinking clear most of the nite, was suprised to see the dusting on the vehicles. I was just thinking yesterday how many days in a row of snow falling from the sky only 4.5" has been measured. I have 3" here on the ground and am very thankful to at least have this, even just down in Hanover and Lebanon doesn't look as white as up here.

Will be checking out the pond today and seeing if the skating season has begun :). I am pretty sure the thickness will be good, my concern is what type of ice there will be on the surface.

hvysnow79--where in Orford are you, if you don't mind my asking--along the river or back in the hills?

Don't know how well you know Corinth but in the spirit of reciprocity, we're off of the road between Goose Green and Vershire Heights near Corinth Corners.

Anyhoo, the streak is alive: light snow's been falling for about a half-hour now.

I am down by the river near the ridge sitting at 450ft. Which certainly does mean I get the shaft especially early and late in the season or truly elevation related storms. Several more inches have already fallen this season not far up the road from my location.

I think I have been out in that area way back, I use to take dive lessons from someone that lived in Corinth back in mid 90's and he took back roads to everything...LOL.

Right after I typed that reply to yours, I looked out to see snowglobe flakes falling thru the dim sunlight :)! Yes indeed the streak continues :):)

I am down by the river near the ridge sitting at 450ft. Which certainly does mean I get the shaft especially early and late in the season or truly elevation related storms. Several more inches have already fallen this season not far up the road from my location.

Yep, the deep valley certainly doesn't see the snowfall that nearby spots, just a bit higher, do--but what a nice stretch it is along the river from Hanover/Norwich up to Piermont/Bradford. I've always thought that for places to live in the Upper Valley, I'd either want be out in the hills somewhere, above 1000', or right along the river. Just went through Orford village last night on my way up to Farmway for some after work Christmas shopping.... I was actually surprised at the amount of snow on the ground going through there--pretty much what we have at 1200' here in Corinth. Not often the case!

Yep, the deep valley certainly doesn't see the snowfall that nearby spots, just a bit higher, do--but what a nice stretch it is along the river from Hanover/Norwich up to Piermont/Bradford. I've always thought that for places to live in the Upper Valley, I'd either want be out in the hills somewhere, above 1000', or right along the river. Just went through Orford village last night on my way up to Farmway for some after work Christmas shopping.... I was actually surprised at the amount of snow on the ground going through there--pretty much what we have at 1200' here in Corinth. Not often the case!

Yeah you are right def not usually as much down here in the valley. Once we get a decent snow pack I don't mind it, but it is hard when green or brown here and snow cover just a mile away. We do usually get into the daily snow showers, but more like a dusting or 1/2" where elevation will get a couple inches.

Ice thickness on the pond was 3-4", which is definitely less than we had last 3 winters at this time. But the pond did freeze later and also thawed a couple times during November. There is hardly any ice on the river, just immediate shoreline and a couple floaters going by. I did notice today that Morey is frozen over, not sure if whole thing, but it is in front of the Resort out as far as you can see.

Ice thickness on the pond was 3-4", which is definitely less than we had last 3 winters at this time. But the pond did freeze later and also thawed a couple times during November. There is hardly any ice on the river, just immediate shoreline and a couple floaters going by. I did notice today that Morey is frozen over, not sure if whole thing, but it is in front of the Resort out as far as you can see.

Saw some ice anglers on North Pond (most northerly of the Belgrade Lakes) today. I doubt there's more than 3" there, less on the black ice that caught after Monday's snow, though the two traps set in that stuff were only a foot or two beyond the snowcovered part. Given all the open water at inlets north and south of where the traps were set, I think the anglers were pushing it - hard.

Beautiful sunny and calm day, 2nd in a row. Yest temps were 28/3 and I'd guess today's were much the same. 1st 2 sunny days this month.

First clear morning we've had in quite some time. 10F....

Thanks for the ice report--maybe I'll swing by Morey today and have a look myself.

Another light dusting overnight.

Looking at the satellite I see that the Upper Valley is socked in with low clouds and fog this morning. Our visibility is at 2 miles and that is an improvement from early this morning.

We were in clouds/fog for quite a while this morning. There was a real surreal feeling out there. There was not much for snow accumulation overnight, you could literally count flakes on top of the cars. 23 F at the moment.

We were in clouds/fog for quite a while this morning. There was a real surreal feeling out there. There was not much for snow accumulation overnight, you could literally count flakes on top of the cars. 23 F at the moment.

Same here... big, fat, fluffy flakes on the cars but you could count them if you wanted to. The interesting thing was the flakes were so big that although they didn't cover the car, you could've measured .1"-.2" just because of the sheer size of each individual flake.

Would anyone be opposed to me starting a new thread? This one is 50 pages long on my settings, and we aren't approaching winter, we are in it.

EDIT...

Started a new thread for "the heart of winter" here:

Archived