• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

It's been snowing very lightly here since this morning. The temp has crept up to 32. Measured just under a half inch after a morning of shopping, but it's wet and likely compacted a bit.

For tomorrow's event, my point and click forecast started at 4-8 inches when I woke up, moved to 5-9 before I left for shopping and now the forecast stands at 6-10. I'm liking this trend. :snowman:

Heavy crushing for red this week.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, that looks nice! I love when the conifers get loaded with snow. Hopefully by this time next weekend us flatlanders will get some of that action too.

Yeah man I really hope you guys can pick up some snow next weekend with the clipper/Miller B. I think we'll see a more widespread snowfall distribution as this snowfall here in Stowe is very localized. Looking at BTV's cooperative observer list, no one else saw anything more than 1-2" last night. However, somehow, we lucked out and there's a localized area here in Stowe that picked up a solid 2-4"... and this time of year, that amount of snowfall seems pretty decent, haha. Grass is covered and now we wait to see if we pick any more up with some upslope snow showers over the next 72 hours.

Since this is the first real snow, here are a couple more pictures from down in Stowe village today:

This was this morning when I was driving around during a decent burst of moderate to heavy snow:

This is this afternoon... snow has stopped except for a few stray flurries. But it certainly looks like winter out there now... a classic VT scene.

Yeah man I really hope you guys can pick up some snow next weekend with the clipper/Miller B. I think we'll see a more widespread snowfall distribution as this snowfall here in Stowe is very localized. Looking at BTV's cooperative observer list, no one else saw anything more than 1-2" last night. However, somehow, we lucked out and there's a localized area here in Stowe that picked up a solid 2-4"... and this time of year, that amount of snowfall seems pretty decent, haha. Grass is covered and now we wait to see if we pick any more up with some upslope snow showers over the next 72 hours.

I am at the library at Johnson State today. They have an inch or two on the ground, a little bit more than what I have back home in Barre. On my way up here, the mountains were in continuous snow. There is a great view from the Johnson State campus south to what I am guessing is the part of the spine that includes Mansfield, maybe Sterling Mt.? Anyway, it was completely obscurred when I got here. Just a few flurries falling outside the at the moment. These are my favorite type of days, overcast, some snow and pretty cold. Hopefully we can start building snowpack this week.

P.S. I don't know who decided on the location of the colleges in the VT State College system, but boy did they do a good job. Johnson, Lyndon and VT Tech are all situated on the top of hills with some great views. Only Castleton comes up short in this department.

I am a little perplexed by BTV's forecast for me for tomorrow... this is the point 'n click for 800ft in Stowe and they have 2-4" now in the grids for tomorrow. 12z GFS gave us .25-.5" of QPF from Monday evening through Tuesday so I could see maybe 2-4" Monday night or Tuesday morning but not during the day tomorrow.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.479850447910444&lon=-72.7130126953125&site=btv&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Monday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 27. West wind between 6 and 11 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Monday Night: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 16. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 28. West wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

I am a little perplexed by BTV's forecast for me for tomorrow... this is the point 'n click for 800ft in Stowe and they have 2-4" now in the grids for tomorrow. 12z GFS gave us .25-.5" of QPF from Monday evening through Tuesday so I could see maybe 2-4" Monday night or Tuesday morning but not during the day tomorrow.

http://forecast.weat...n&FcstType=text

Monday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 27. West wind between 6 and 11 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Monday Night: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 16. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 28. West wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

how are natural snow trails looking up there? still need a good foot or two more to really start opening those or what?

how are natural snow trails looking up there? still need a good foot or two more to really start opening those or what?

Yeah... there's a general 3-6" of natural snow coverage. I bet 12"+ would open most lower angle or intermediate trails. 18"+ would probably be needed to get patrol to officially open the expert terrain... but with a foot you could probably ski that stuff, but I doubt it would be enough to officially open it to the masses.

We are nickle and diming our way to to snow cover... and I bet another 6" or so could fall in the next 48 hours.

Yeah... there's a general 3-6" of natural snow coverage. I bet 12"+ would open most lower angle or intermediate trails. 18"+ would probably be needed to get patrol to officially open the expert terrain... but with a foot you could probably ski that stuff, but I doubt it would be enough to officially open it to the masses.

We are nickle and diming our way to to snow cover... and I bet another 6" or so could fall in the next 48 hours.

Never did buy those feet forecasts from BTV, not the best setup.

Never did buy those feet forecasts from BTV, not the best setup.

Ehh, verbatim a couple days ago it would've been feet of snow... I still think the next 72 hours looks pretty good for upslope. I still think the mountains could pull off a surprise or two this week. All it takes is one good 6-10 hour period and as you like to say, we can review it after the event but it hasn't even taken place yet, lol.

Its funny we never hear of a pessimistic post from you Ginx (if it regards SNE snowfall) haha,

You guys are going to get crushed :thumbsup:

Yeah, we are going to be crushed by this one. Just updated our forecast and am going with storm snow totals of 13 inches in Caribou, 15 inches in Presque Isle, 18 inches in Houlton and 20+inches just south of Houlton. I have a suspicion that these snow totals may be underdone, especially from Caribou-northward. I'm becoming less and less convinced that it'll change to rain midday Monday. I suspect that the intense snow rates tomorrow morning (2-3 inches per hour quite possible) may cause dynamical cooling and keep things all snow through the entire event. Bring it on!!

Archived