• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE slowly approaching winter

dendrite

I think you are going to clean up in this event. You are in the perfect position to get some pretty solid totals.

I just went up to the mountain and took a couple runs... cold, windy, and snowy: the usual Mansfield experience. Top of the Quad was very chilly with sustained winds in the 20-30mph range I'd guess. It looked like there was 1-2" at the summit and maybe an inch at the base so far, however this is going to be a hard one to measure on the mountain as this snow is light/fluffy and getting blown everywhere.

Mountain Road is snow packed starting around the Matterhorn, and below that it’s just snow sifting around on the pavement (but not really "snowpacked"). Already saw one pick-up truck smashed into a telephone pole just below the Matterhorn, so the roads are getting slick. Stowe PD had a heavy presence up and down the Mtn Road trying to keep the weekend tourist traffic out of trouble on the snowy roads.

Thanks for the great updates Scott. From the Northern VT skier’s/winter weather enthusiast’s perspective, it’s simply fantastic having someone of your position on americanwx.com. You are literally monitoring the weather and interacting with the forum, popping out for some runs, getting information on the higher elevations, and reporting in. Anyway, it’s very much appreciated.

As of last check at around 11:00 A.M. there was between 0.7 and 0.8 inches of snow on the board since the 6:00 A.M. clearing. With the small flakes that are falling (~1-2 mm diameter) it gives the impression that almost nothing is going on out there, but I’ve been taking out some of the house’s window screens for the winter, and even in just a few moments of poking my head out the windows while I work on them, things are getting wet with the flakes. There is certainly some liquid coming down in those tiny flakes, and it will be interesting to see where things are in terms of liquid with this event. I’ll be clearing the board and taking a core sample at noon, so we’ll find out then.

Our point and click has been updated so that it seems pretty in synch with the storm total forecast that BTV has on their page. For our location the forecast has a total of 4 to 8 inches, broken down as up to 1 inch today, 2 to 4 inches tonight, and 1 to 3 inches tomorrow. We seem to be roughly on track for that inch today based on my measurements so far.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.08” L.E.

The noontime snow measurement came in with 0.8 inches of snow comprised of 0.08 inches of liquid, so with the combination of earlier big flakes and these recent small flakes, the density is right on at 10% H2O. The snow has lightened up a bit more now and the flakes are very small (~1 mm diameter).

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0%

Temperature: 30.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

25F with -SN... interestingly enough something is going on that I've never seen before. I was at work up the road and it wasn't snowing at the mountain or 2-3 miles down the Mountain Road. Then right before I get home, bam everything is covered in fresh white and its snowing pretty good. All the tree branches have a nice white coating on them and parking lots that turned wet this afternoon have a fresh coat on them.

I pull up the radar, and sure enough you can see that it is only snowing in the village and not at the mountain. From my view up the road, it looked like this has been going on for a little bit, as visibility at the hill wasn't bad, but looking towards town you just see a wall of white. Usually, its the other way around.

It has certainly gotten a lot whiter here in the village in the last half hour or so.

same event north of you scott - woke up to fresh snow falling, a quick 1" on the compost bin, drove 10 miles west to ski and the sun was poking through at Jay. spent the day there - never seemed to accumulate - heavy fog tough to make the conditions fast and blind in the PM. back to snow at the house now - N Troy had bare fields while owls head looked like mid winter 5 miles to the east

Event totals: 1.5” Snow/0.12” L.E.

6:00 P.M. update: The snow really slowed down and had all but stopped by 4:00 P.M. I headed into town for groceries at that point and there was a bit less snow there – some grassy areas hardly seemed to have snow on them. Snow was just starting to fall again as I went into the store, and the car had a light accumulation when I came back out. It’s been snowing since that point, with small flakes in the 1-2 mm range. The snow continues to accumulate quite slowly, but this is now our largest snowfall event of the season.

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0%

Temperature: 25.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1 inch

The odd geography of the snowfall isn't surprising, given what I saw today on the way to PWM. Snowcover was continuous until I approached Belgrade Village, with 2" atop Mile Hill the most I saw. Some Mt locations had 6". Bare ground until a few white patches north end of AUG, another skip to some white along the Interstate as Gardner led to Ricihmond. Then brown ground until Freeport, near the L.L.Bean exit, another patch in Falmouth, and snow on windshields of overnight-parked vehicles in the hospital parking lot, elev. about 40' and just 1/10 mile from salt water. Skips and hits at random-seeming locations, independent of elevation or distance from the coast once I got south of the foothills.

This whole interminable scenario is adding to my sour taste for retros - this one looks to bury some folks and skunk others, at least in Maine, and some places (NE Aroostook?) may get both bombed and soaked. Give me the "normal" synoptic tracks any day.

00Z GFS is absolutely insane for these parts of Maine. BUFKIT data reveals that the GFS is forecasting 17-18 inches of snow with 7 of those inches accumulating in just 3 hours!! Will be interested to see what the other guidance says in the next few hours. Off to bed...it looks to be a busy day tomorrow trying to come up with a forecast for this storm.

00Z GFS is absolutely insane for these parts of Maine. BUFKIT data reveals that the GFS is forecasting 17-18 inches of snow with 7 of those inches accumulating in just 3 hours!! Will be interested to see what the other guidance says in the next few hours. Off to bed...it looks to be a busy day tomorrow trying to come up with a forecast for this storm.

Looking more and more like you guys hammered despite potential p-type issue in spots. I'm not confident we get enough qpf down my way to justify going from watch to warning but it will be interesting to track for sure.

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.14” L.E.

12/5/2010 6:00 A.M. update: The 0.4 inches of new snow since yesterday’s 6:00 P.M. report was picked up through roughly midnight. After that point, the snow shut off to just flurries, with just an additional trace accumulating on the board in the 12:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. timeframe. As the data below would suggest, flake size was up (~3-4 mm diameter) and density was down relative to the small grains that have comprised much of this event. There haven’t been any of those huge upslope dendrites so far with this event, but hopefully the smaller flakes/grains that have fallen will do a better job of resisting the wind and staying on the slopes as a base begins to build.

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0%

Temperature: 23.9 F

Sky: Flurries

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.14” L.E.

5/12/2010 6:00 A.M. update: The 0.4 inches of new snow since yesterday’s 6:00 P.M. report was picked up through roughly midnight. After that point, the snow shut off to just flurries, with just an additional trace accumulating on the board in the 12:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. timeframe. As the data below would suggest, flake size was up (~3-4 mm diameter) and density was down relative to the small grains that have comprised much of this event. There haven’t been any of those huge upslope dendrites so far with this event, but hopefully the smaller flakes/grains that have fallen will do a better job of resisting the wind and staying on the slopes as a base begins to build.

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0%

Temperature: 23.9 F

Sky: Flurries

Just cleared 2.5" of fluff off the board and lrge flakes are still falling! The snowband seems to have migrated east a little. We had no accumulation during the day yesterday. The rate difference over just a few miles is interesting.

let's call a spade a spade- Round 1 of the retro was a bust. thoughts on why?

I think the low pushed further north into Quebec than was originally anticipated.

We picked up only 0.2" here. Sublimation seemed pretty strong yesterday as what little snow fell was having a hard time accumulation--it just seemed to be drying up as fast as it fell.

A few stray flakes coming down this morning & 22F.

Perhaps something interesting to watch for tomorrow....

Just cleared 2.5" of fluff off the board and lrge flakes are still falling! The snowband seems to have migrated east a little. We had no accumulation during the day yesterday. The rate difference over just a few miles is interesting.

Dude, this is sweet. I've got 3.5" on the Mountain Road right now. I was just in the Lower Village and there isn't even a dusting. You can see the snow-covered trees off about a mile away...and then right by the fire station on RT 100 in Stowe its like "bam" snow. They just plowed my lot and its still snowing big fat flakes.

For those of you that know this area... there is NO snow at the Moscow Rd/RT 100 intersection. In the village there's 3-4" of new snow.

The village looks like a post card... I'm heading out to get some pictures and then some turns up at the mtn. Word is the village center here got more snow than the ski resort last night.

Dude, this is sweet. I've got 3.5" on the Mountain Road right now. I was just in the Lower Village and there isn't even a dusting. You can see the snow-covered trees off about a mile away...and then right by the fire station on RT 100 in Stowe its like "bam" snow. They just plowed my lot and its still snowing big fat flakes.

For those of you that know this area... there is NO snow at the Moscow Rd/RT 100 intersection. In the village there's 3-4" of new snow.

The village looks like a post card... I'm heading out to get some pictures and then some turns up at the mtn. Word is the village center here got more snow than the ski resort last night.

Nice! Post the pics when you get done hurling yourself down the mountain.

Snow continues to be focused over the Mountain Road (RT 108) and the Stowe village at the 108/100 intersection. Big fat flakes and high ratio snowfall. I have no idea what is causing this but the difference over 1-2 miles is astounding.

Will try to post some pics in the next half hour before heading to the hill. Winter is definitely here... grass covered, plows out, tree branches holding 3" of snow and fat fluffy flakes are just meandering down.

A few more from this morning... still coming down out there. Nothing better than a snowy morning in ski country. Now its time to head up for a few runs at the hill and check out accumulations up there.

Not sure what I did to this picture, but I lost an inch on the right side, haha. Still a good shot of the overnight snow accumulation which was 3-3.5"

Still snowing on the Mountain Road... roads have been treated and are just wet now.

A few more from this morning... still coming down out there. Nothing better than a snowy morning in ski country. Now its time to head up for a few runs at the hill and check out accumulations up there.

Not sure what I did to this picture, but I lost an inch on the right side, haha. Still a good shot of the overnight snow accumulation which was 3-3.5"

Still snowing on the Mountain Road... roads have been treated and are just wet now.

Great Pics!!! I am jealous...just light flurries here

It's been snowing very lightly here since this morning. The temp has crept up to 32. Measured just under a half inch after a morning of shopping, but it's wet and likely compacted a bit.

For tomorrow's event, my point and click forecast started at 4-8 inches when I woke up, moved to 5-9 before I left for shopping and now the forecast stands at 6-10. I'm liking this trend. :snowman:

Archived