joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-12 Model/Forecasting Discussion

Ji

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

correct but so is the Ohio Valley low, and its messing up the ability for the coastal to develop a good low level circulation and advect moisture inland. Until the energy transfers to the coast and phases the coastal is a dead wave. That should be happening now and I do not see signs of it yet. I am not saying NYC is not getting snow...just not sure about these 12" numbers they are throwing around. Might still happen in time but I am skeptical.

For the coastal, the capture wasn't supposed to happen until around 0Z or so. While the OV low is deeper, the coastal is still in good shape and still deeper than any operational guidance. For folks in NYC, I would get worried if this thing doesn't start tanking shortly after 0Z. The OV surface low is over-achieving though--that is true. But the height field is mostly the same with the coastal capture still progged around the same time--in other words, nothing here is a surprise for the coastal low.

For the coastal, the capture wasn't supposed to happen until around 0Z or so. While the OV low is deeper, the coastal is still in good shape and still deeper than any operational guidance. For folks in NYC, I would get worried if this thing doesn't start tanking shortly after 0Z. The OV surface low is over-achieving though--that is true. But the height field is mostly the same with the coastal capture still progged around the same time--in other words, nothing here is a surprise for the coastal low.

This.

People are getting WAY ahead of themselves trying to call bust on PHL and NYC in this thread.

Just like DEC 26th, all of the praying and hoping we did for the past 3 days did nothing but help SNE go from 10 inches to 20.

Its ridiculous isn't it? I seriously can't wait for a pattern reload, then we can at least have some more hope. As for now, Ive set my expectations low and am hoping for at least an inch.

you might want to read Mount Holly's AFD...if i had any real interest id post it, but i dont lol. got other things going on tonight. point is yeah we are a miss in MD/DE other than a crusty inch or so, but that coastal will get going just north of here, and places from central NJ north and east will likely still do very well. IMO Mount Holly, which is the forecast office for my area, is one of the best. they don't jump ship prematurely, and they are conservative when they need to be.

Though I think it may be wise to pay attention to this radar

http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php

I'm probably wrong - I am 100% certain my backyard will see flurries from this by 7pm, just flurries, no accums, but it just may be a good idea to keep an eye on that radar if you live in N VA -

Just in case

Looks like a band of snow is developing over the baltimore area and moving NE.

What is FRZRA?

Freezing rain.

Also - In response to another poster - Sleet is not the same as hail. Sleet is rain that falls thru a layer of very cold air and freezes into ice pellets. Hail forms in thunderstorms.

Freezing rain is terrible to drive in - especially with the cold ground. 2m temps are running in the upper 20s.

I'd rather let PA take all the snow and I'll enjoy cloudy skies with NO freezing rain. Sleet is miserable too.

• 1 month later...

Archived