• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The return of winter pattern disco

Damage In Tolland

GFS ensembles still look nice...990mb over the BM at 132h after redeveloping the lakes low E of ACY...not as amped up as that 982 mean at 18z, but that was pretty rare to see an ensemble mean do that. This is a little more in line.

I'll take that.....went without saying that the ens mean would not stay that deep......I'll take 990mb.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how we're looking. Details can be worked out. We will have the cold, all you can ask for is a reasonably juicy qpf system. Verbatim GFS is a pretty decent snowstorm.....6-12 for many.

I'd take 6-12" and run right now. While this system certainly has a ton of potential to be larger, it could easily crap out on us for a number of reasons. Tonight's run essentially nailed BOS again for jackpot...maybe south shore.

As I type, GGEM looks decent too

00054g1northamericazoom.jpg

Yes without sustained cold you have alot of mess. But to achieve the weekly storm, you'd almost have to have sustained cold. Nice January appears to unfold....at least we'll have our chances.

What it all comes down to is that I want a deep, deep snowpack and that is difficult to realize given a parade of pedestrain events, due to the retention issues faced on the cp.

00z NOGAPS is the model carrying the HECS torch in tonight's suite.

CMC dumps alot of snow on some of us. Occludes the low beyond 132 as it rots over us....unlikely solution but the signal for a good event is there. NGP has uncharacteristically been all over this today.

CMC dumps alot of snow on some of us. Occludes the low beyond 132 as it rots over us....unlikely solution but the signal for a good event is there. NGP has uncharacteristically been all over this today.

Every model has had significant snow thus far tonight. Pending Ukie/Euro.

Regardless of any verbatim solutions, I love the trend of keeping that PV diving south of us tonight at 00z. With each run we can keep that idea alive, the closer we are to gaining confidence on a decent event.

Every model has had significant snow thus far tonight. Pending Ukie/Euro.

Regardless of any verbatim solutions, I love the trend of keeping that PV diving south of us tonight at 00z. With each run we can keep that idea alive, the closer we are to gaining confidence on a decent event.

This is what I notice above all else as well. Any whining about relatively low QPF is silly IMO. This is not a hecs pattern or synoptic setup. But when I see sub 500dms at h5 I think bombing SLP and unexpectedly intense, albeit localized, snowfall rates. I consider modeled QPF to be very broad brush anyway.

SNE clearly looks to be the place to be for this upcoming threat. Even so, several individual members find various ways to miss. If anyone from PHL to BOS can sneak 6" out of this they should take it and be happy with a fine start to the winter season.

This is what I notice above all else as well. Any whining about relatively low QPF is silly IMO. This is not a hecs pattern or synoptic setup. But when I see sub 500dms at h5 I think bombing SLP and unexpectedly intense, albeit localized, snowfall rates. I consider modeled QPF to be very broad brush anyway.

SNE clearly looks to be the place to be for this upcoming threat. Even so, several individual members find various ways to miss. If anyone from PHL to BOS can sneak 6" out of this they should take it and be happy with a fine start to the winter season.

Not sure what you mean by that...chances are that it will not be of that magnitude, but there is clearly large potential whenever that deep of an H5 low passes out underneath LI.

I don't think there exists a pattern in which a HECS is the favored outcome.

This late week storm was added into the weather train as a boxcar for Northern Vermont,...the only ones in all of North America to have been screwed thus far by the snow gods. So please step away from the keyboard and resume your non-snow related activities. This storm is for us dammit. Leave it alone as any wishcasting will = bad juju. I know this is old 12z info but I dont care, it's all we have.

THE 12Z GFS SHOWS A 970MB LOW NEAR THE TWIN FORKS OF LONG ISLAND AT 00Z SATURDAY. UKMET

HAS A 980MB LOW NEAR BLOCK IS. AT 12Z FRIDAY. THE 12Z ECMWF IS FURTHER NORTH WITH THE SFC LOW...BUT TROWAL AIRSTREAM BRINGS

WRAP-AROUND MOISTURE AND LOW-LEVEL WAA FROM THE NORTHEAST WHICH IS GENERALLY FAVORABLE FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWS ACROSS VT. ECMWF IS ALSO

SLOWER TO MOVE SYSTEM OUT WITH SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL/NRN VT LINGERING INTO SATURDAY.

Typical Euro low qpf at this range

What did the Euro ensembles show?

They seemed a little better looking than the op. The op run has a stupid low that runs out over the Gulf stream waters and way out to sea. I think this robs some of the energy for the developing low that takes place near the benchmark. It's tough to say if that will happen or not. The ensembles hint at this, but in a much weaker form. It could be right, but it also could be the ensembles not having the best resolution. Something like the 06z gfs ensembles would be excellent.

They seemed a little better looking than the op. The op run has a stupid low that runs out over the Gulf stream waters and way out to sea. I think this robs some of the energy for the developing low that takes place near the benchmark. It's tough to say if that will happen or not. The ensembles hint at this, but in a much weaker form. It could be right, but it also could be the ensembles not having the best resolution. Something like the 06z gfs ensembles would be excellent.

Sounds like almost the exact same thing the Euro did with the HECS last weekend..Had it way too far east with too much energy out front..then corrected well west . Seems to be it's big error pattern this year

Archived