• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NE PA

ptb127

I guess it will take a major wx event to wake up the posters from NE PA. I would think the area from Hazleton north would fit more into this sub-region than NYC/PHL.

But if this thread doesn't make it - the NE PA people can always post in the Upstate threads when their inland location puts them in the same wx zone as BGM, MSV, etc.

I live in Hazleton, PA so would I post in this area of the regionals or in the Philadelphia/NYC Metro?? I know many E PA posters posted in there but just want claification.

I guess it will take a major wx event to wake up the posters from NE PA. I would think the area from Hazleton north would fit more into this sub-region than NYC/PHL.

But if this thread doesn't make it - the NE PA people can always post in the Upstate threads when their inland location puts them in the same wx zone as BGM, MSV, etc.

They can post in the Hudson valley thread if they like. They are out neighbors to our west. I know you and I post in the new england thread at times. The new england folks get a heads up from us on the west to east moving events. :)

It's one of my pet peeves about the sub-forum set up, which I otherwise like. I would have set up the Philly/NYC forum as the EPA/NJ/NYC forum. I know they wanted to have them correspond to the NWS CWA's, but outside of the northern tier counties, much of eastern PA shares more in common weatherwise with the Philly/NJ region than it does with Upstate New York.

Almost snuck under the radar...

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON, NY

546 PM EST THU NOV 18 2010

...EF1 TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR JESSUP IN LACKAWANNA COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...

LOCATION...JESSUP IN LACKAWANNA COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA

DATE...NOVEMBER 17 2010

ESTIMATED TIME...230 AM EST

MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF1

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...95 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...150 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...2 MILES

BEGINNING

LAT/LON...41.46N / 75.56W

ENDING LAT/LON...41.48N / 75.54W

* FATALITIES...NONE

* INJURIES...NONE

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON, NY HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO NEAR JESSUP IN LACKAWANNA COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA ON NOVEMBER 17 2010.

A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN IN JESSUP PENNSYLVANIA AROUND 230 AM EST ON NOVEMBER 17TH, 2010. THE TORNADO FIRST TOUCHED DOWN NEAR JESSUP AUTO AND CROSSED THE CASEY HIGHWAY DOING CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO THE JESSUP YOUTH ASSOCIATION PARK. THIS INCLUDED DAMAGE TO BLEACHERS, AND A FEW BUILDINGS. THERE WERE ALSO TREES UPROOTED AND SNAPPED IN AND AROUND THIS PARK. A DUMPSTER WAS ALSO BLOWN ONTO ITS SIDE AND ABOUT 20 FEET FROM ITS ORIGINAL POSITION. THE TORNADO THEN BLEW OUT A WALL ON AN AUTO REPAIR SHOP AND REMOVED SHINGLES FROM A HOME. THE TORNADO CONTINUED UP A HILL AND WENT THROUGH ST MICHAEL`S CEMETERY. THE TORNADO UPROOTED AND SNAPPED MANY TREES ALONG ITS PATH AND TORE OFF PORTION OF THE ROOF OF LAMINATION INCORPORATED IN ARCHIBALD PENNSYLVANIA WHERE IT FINALLY LIFTED.

MORE INFORMATION ON THIS TORNADO WILL BE POSTED TO OUR WEBSITE IN THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS. OUR WEBSITE CAN BE FOUND AT: WEATHER.GOV/BGM.

FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTO THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.

EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.

EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.

EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.

EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.

EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.

$$

DJN

http://www.erh.noaa....november172010/

Archived