• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Chair lift incident at Sugarloaf

nutmegfriar

I think any specultion is just that. Hopefully, management at any ski resort would not send a novice mechanic up a lift with (or without) people on it to inspect it. Most of all, I feel for the people injured, and for the folks who were hanging and wondering if they were next to fall. I also feel for the mechanic who was stuck making the call to run the lift slowly to offload it or order an evacuation. It's easy to make the call after the fact. In the near future, I would not be surprised to see a few lift evacuations.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd still take Sugarloaf over Sunday River any day of the week, lol. So much better terrain... not even a question.

Sugarloaf is sort of like Stowe/Mansfield in that its a very windy, gnarly mountain weather-wise. The mountain operations team and lift maintenance team knows what they are doing so I wouldn't blame them for what happened at all... though knowing the internal decisions that sometimes go on during these vacation (high volume, high money) times, they might have been pushing the envelop a bit. People get irate when lifts go on wind hold because they just don't understand... and there's a chance that had this been any ordinary Tuesday that lift might have been on wind hold. That's pure speculation but I know there can be a bit more pressure during these vacation times to keep things running for the tourists who for whatever reason just can't understand why a lift can't run in hurricane force winds.

I was talking to a lift attendant at the summit lift at Sugarbush around noon today when it was on wind hold and he said something like 'If the crowds disperse then it ain't happening" meaning that if the crowds at the base lifts shorten up then they were not going to open the summit lift but if it stays crowded they might open it. So it sounded to me like they were more willing to push the envelop and open it if things were still crowded and the winds slacked off to borderline levels.

I was talking to a lift attendant at the summit lift at Sugarbush around noon today when it was on wind hold and he said something like 'If the crowds disperse then it ain't happening" meaning that if the crowds at the base lifts shorten up then they were not going to open the summit lift but if it stays crowded they might open it. So it sounded to me like they were more willing to push the envelop and open it if things were still crowded and the winds slacked off to borderline levels.

Of course, it's all about money. Just like everything else in our corrupt world.

Sugarbush's president kind of paints a different picture about their wind hold decisions in his latest blog entry

http://www.sugarbush.com/about-vermont-resort/president-blog

Sugarbush's president kind of paints a different picture about their wind hold decisions in his latest blog entry

http://www.sugarbush.../president-blog

They did seem pretty strict and aggressive about the wind holds. The attendant might have simply been saying that once it got late in the day they would not bother opening it even if it became safe, but if it were still crowded they would go through the time and difficulty of opening it at 2 or 3pm even though it would only be open for an hour or two in order to disperse the crowds.

Archived