joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The New England Snowdrift Thread

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a good one to demonstrate the impossibility of getting a reliable measurement from this most recent storm.

2dbq70y.jpg

Not technically in New England, but only a few miles from the CT border.

Now that is exactly what happened here in various spots on the lawn.

I'll grab some shots tomorrow and post along with the thigh high drift

Here's another.

Birds will find it easy to get the sunflower seeds... if they can beat the squirrels...

It also shows robbing Peter to pay Paul - almost bare ground ---> nearby drift

Just got done posting pcpn data @ CoCoRaHS.......my lawn isn't THAT wind-blown....but it sure makes "averaging" total snowfall a pain!! I ended up taking 6 measurements at various points where there APPEARED to be minimal blowing/drifting/compacting taking place.....that meant finding spots over TWO ACRES of property!!:(

Lol...this is honestly how probably 90% of the storms are down my way. Always have huge drifts and areas of bare ground. Wind ftw!

I'll take all snow and no wind during a storm unless it's wet snow that doesn't blow around. Just ruins things

I'm fortunate in that respect; hardly ever have to deal with that.

This snow was some of the deepest, heaviest snow that I can recall having to dig out of. Everything is concrete this AM. It's going to have to take a blast furnace to penetrate this stuff. The only drifting snow was the snow that fell during the day yesterday after the temps dropped below 32F. Everything is caked in snow. Side roads are a disaster.

This snow was some of the deepest, heaviest snow that I can recall having to dig out of. Everything is concrete this AM. It's going to have to take a blast furnace to penetrate this stuff. The only drifting snow was the snow that fell during the day yesterday after the temps dropped below 32F. Everything is caked in snow. Side roads are a disaster.

There must be some huge piles down that way. That 17" must look like 27". Wet snow is impressive...congrats man.

There must be some huge piles down that way. That 17" must look like 27". Wet snow is impressive...congrats man.

I put in 15" as my final tally. It's compressed down to about 8-10" because of how dense it is. The snow plow banks are solid concrete now with those huge ice chunks "death cookies" From a landscape perspective, it has the look of a substantial snowfall since it was really hard for the plows to move it around. I was lucky in that I was able to cash in on that front end thump to get to 9-10" before it changed to that rimed **** for a few hours around 8-11pm. Woke up to 3-4" more and then it snowed a couple more during the day yesterday. Pretty solid event but not a Jan 2005.

I put in 15" as my final tally. It's compressed down to about 8-10" because of how dense it is. The snow plow banks are solid concrete now with those huge ice chunks "death cookies" From a landscape perspective, it has the look of a substantial snowfall since it was really hard for the plows to move it around. I was lucky in that I was able to cash in on that front end thump to get to 9-10" before it changed to that rimed **** for a few hours around 8-11pm. Woke up to 3-4" more and then it snowed a couple more during the day yesterday. Pretty solid event but not a Jan 2005.

not much is. :lol:

hopefully not, but it might be a while before we doing something like that again.

the 10-20" events are "common"...but get to widespread totals over 24" and you start entering 1/decade type events.

not much is. :lol:

hopefully not, but it might be a while before we doing something like that again.

the 10-20" events are "common"...but get to widespread totals over 24" and you start entering 1/decade type events.

In the other thread I placed this 3rd in the snowfall department behind Jan 2005 and Dec 2009 but 2nd in the impact department once you factor in the winds. Only once did I drop to 1/4m vis with this storm.

Archived