Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno... it's a lot of low level stuff. The ripping dendrites are still across western CT/MA. The IR loop is really telling.

We don't need cold cloud tops to get good dendritic growth...just lift in the SG region. It has been pretty good snow growth here for awhile and the pic in Boston showed very nice dendrties awhile ago when they had that band over them.

That's why often W of the CF gets destroyed, because they get enhanced low level lift in the 750-850mb region which is like -10C...good for snow growth in a higher salt nuclei environment.

We won't get the deeper lift that is over the frontogenetic band in E NY and NNJ, but it can still be quite effective.

Ryan, I measured 3.1 at 8:30. Doubt I even reached 4 yet. Seemingly all snow grain crap. It's like salt blowing around my driveway

Yeah eastern areas are really getting screwed with a lot of horrific snow growth. I've been 1/4 mile for hours and am barely accumulating 1" per hour. E/C MA/RI/ E CT are all going to continue to have that problem.

The real jackpot in this one is going to be even west of me.

We don't need cold cloud tops to get good dendritic growth...just lift in the SG region. It has been pretty good snow growth here for awhile and the pic in Boston showed very nice dendrties awhile ago when they had that band over them.

That's why often W of the CF gets destroyed, because they get enhanced low level lift in the 750-850mb region which is like -10C...good for snow growth in a higher salt nuclei environment.

We won't get the deeper lift that is over the frontogenetic band in E NY and NNJ, but it can still be quite effective.

I know but there's a lot of low level stuff. Even in CT we've been under good echoes but we're not accumulating nearly as fast as you'd think.

bigtime update, we reached 30 in melrose (7 miles north of boston) but we have now been dropping (down to 27). this is a sign that the rain snow line will likely not push any farther inland. We have heavy snow continuing with 1/4 mile vis. We have at least 7-8 inches. The rain snow line i think is crashing!!!

So, will the 12-18 verify? Can't see it happening here.

Yeah eastern areas are really getting screwed with a lot of horrific snow growth. I've been 1/4 mile for hours and am barely accumulating 1" per hour. E/C MA/RI/ E CT are all going to continue to have that problem.

Why do you keep mentioning these areas having problems with snow growth as we've had many posters from E MA and RI reporting great dendrites?

There will be two jackpot areas. Higher terrain of western Mass/Conn and Just outside of Boston.

I know but there's a lot of low level stuff. Even in CT we've been under good echoes but we're not accumulating nearly as fast as you'd think.

We're accumulating rapidly and 2 hours ago many spotters in Boston reported 6+...I'm probably 7-8 at this point and it's pouring snow with decent dendrites.

Yes, it is unbelievable here near POU.. Closing on 14 inches now and the band just keeps sitting over us..

Congrats.. It never fails.. I moved to the west hartford area last december from White Plains and was counting on alot more snow.. After all, this area usually receives a foot more snow each winter on average.. Yet last winter, and so far this storm are showing me that bad luck follows me wherever i go axesmiley.png Im sure we'll see ours sooner or later, but this one belongs to you!

Archived