• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Boxing Day 2010 Blizzard

MaineJayhawk

lol ... that's what I came here to do .. just finished shoveling. Noticed I am decidedly NOT in shoveling shape at this time. Took some measurements but it appears there was compaction. Still have 6.3" and I think that's a wrap for my Boxing Day Blizzard 2010. My 10-14" lock was busted.

Definitely a disappointment around here, at least in terms of totals. Seems like the Maine coastal plain is in a no-man's land when it comes to blockbuster snows, as we tend to miss out on the best of the KU's that bury SNE and the MA -- and then we get mixing and rain when the coastal huggers and elevation storms nail the mountains. With few exceptions, it seems that we need the SWFE's and other small/moderate events to really build up our snowpack. Still, it was a fun little storm and the ~8" sure beat mostly bare ground heading into the New Year....

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if I got close to 20 inches from this event too. I'll have to measure when I get home, except I haven't measured the whole storm, so it will be a "snow on the ground" measure, not the official way. Its such a light and fluffy snow, that I'm sure its compacted by now. I will have to refer to surrounding amounts after I measure, to compare to see how close it is.

Yep, I just measured 18" on average from several spots all over the yard. I also just had a great few runs sledding! Pics to come. Snowman.gif

There's really no other way to measure this because of the wind. Any spot you clear will just get filled right back in by blowing snow.

I just got power back after losing it for about 10 minutes. I was hoping for a 50mph gust, but I think I'll change my tune on that.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. It will be compacted quite a bit, but oh well. This storm is really turning out a lot more fun than I had expected.

GOod luck with the power. It's never fun to lose it, esp during these storms.

Definitely a disappointment around here, at least in terms of totals. Seems like the Maine coastal plain is in a no-man's land when it comes to blockbuster snows, as we tend to miss out on the best of the KU's that bury SNE and the MA -- and then we get mixing and rain when the coastal huggers and elevation storms nail the mountains. With few exceptions, it seems that we need the SWFE's and other small/moderate events to really build up our snowpack. Still, it was a fun little storm and the ~8" sure beat mostly bare ground heading into the New Year....

I'm convinced my 6.3" measurement will be the lowest of any place in New England save for the NW tip of Vermont and perhaps some sand spit on Cape Cod. Just not lucky this time.

I did get a day off from work out of this, though it wasn't warranted I'm pretty sure.

I'm convinced my 6.3" measurement will be the lowest of any place in New England save for the NW tip of Vermont and perhaps some sand spit on Cape Cod. Just not lucky this time.

I did get a day off from work out of this, though it wasn't warranted I'm pretty sure.

That sucks, We are still going here been +SN here as we have been under a 20-25dbz band for a few hours now, I will go out at 4:00 or so to try and get another measurement, The winds more so then the snow is the big winner in this storm for here anyways, I did not jackpot on snow, But it looks like i may on the wind....... :thumbsup:

Only light snow all morning IMBY, with a touch of ZR. Went bck out to do the major snow-moving, and the scoop was incredibly hard to push. Getting weak in my old age? (Well, yes, but not THAT fast.) Discovered a nice pebble-grain ice coat on the bottom. After a few minutes it abraded off and slid much more nicely.

Given the light precip - maybe 1/2" snow/stuff 7-11:30 - we headed south for the PWM Dr. appt. As we went over MIle Hill the snow picked up considerably, and by the time we reached Rome Corner (jct with Rt 225) the visibility was about 1/10 mile except in wind gusts. That was the story all the way to AUG; at times we could see barely 100 ft, between gusts; when it blew, we coasted in the whiteout. Pulled into Wendy's by exit 112, figuring we'd eat lunch and see if the snow would lessen, and because my eyes felt like they were filled with rocksalt from staring into white nothingness. Much of the time we could hardly see the Irving station less than 100 ft away. Did see a WABI cameraman filming in their parking lot. So we called the Dr. and reset the appt for later in the week, then headed north. No way I could make another 1.5 hr of driving in that whiteout. Lots more new snow in AUG than at home, probably over 12". Of course, we had lessening snow after the first 5 miles, and next to nothing other than blowing snow when we got home about 1:45, with 1" since we had left, for storm total of about 8".

Been pretty crazy on the lake all morning and afternoon. Been gusting 45-50mph easy here with vsbys a few hundred yards. I have no idea how much snow and I'm not even going to attempt to measure. It will be inaccurate. Based on the size of the drifts and the amount I just shoveled it seems to be around 10". Could be as low as 8...but no lower.

I kept complaing last night about the lack of wind, well certainly making up for it today. Incrediable conditons here. Wind is just roaring at my elevation with basically a ground blizzard. Lights are flickering. I have never seen so much blowing snow in addtion to snow falling. Vis is about 1 mile. Feel bad for animals left out today. Currently 9F

Right around 3.5" here in downtown Burlington as the snow didn't really start until overnight.

The wind,however, started around 7 and was still blowing into the after daybreak hours. Weather station at Porter's Point out on Malletts Bay reported wind gusts over 35 and the weather station by UVM had gusts to 28. I'd say 20 sustained with some really, really loud gusts. Still had blowing snow at lunchtime too.

Snow is winding down:

~21.5 " measure in the valley

~29-31" reported at the mountain

Not nearly the wind reported elsewhere, just a lot of heavy snow!

In the valley, 17 of the 21" fell from about 11pm last night until around 5:30am this morning. That's an incredible 17" in 6.5 hours!

That's awesome!

I'm away from the resort (Stowe) right now, but have been in contact with them. Significant lift issues all day due to wind but were able to get a variety of the major, high-speed lifts open at various points in the day thanks to shifting wind directions. Each degree of direction interacts with the terrain differently and effects each lift different..

The northern Greens definitely did not make out anywhere close to as good as the Whites. Mountain Operations said about 3-6" on Mansfield (maybe a bit more at the summit) but who really knows because it was impossible to measure. Smugglers Notch ski resort reported 8-10" on the other side of the mountain as they might have gotten a bit more enhancement on a NNW flow.

The Mansfield co-op data looks funky but I would believe anywhere from 6-10" at the summit, not 1.5" but I'm sure the 1.5" is just pure under-catch in the snow can as the snow probably fell horizontally across the summit. The melted precip at 0.5" looks about right and with temps between -9F and +11F, a 6-8" snowfall was probably about right up there at 3,900ft.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
610 PM EST MON DEC 27 2010

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                  24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.50    11  -9  -5   LIGHT FOG    1.5  30

ASH ASOS had a 54mph gust earlier today...a lot windier then I expected.

Yeah...I expected windy, but not this. I have tall trees to my NW so even though I have good height on my anemometer siting it's still blocked a bit. I probably would've been near that ASH ob otherwise. Gilford at almost 1400ft hit 54mph too. I'll take this wind all night if I can avoid losing power.

Event totals: 3.6” Snow/0.20” L.E.

Monday 12/27/2010 6:00 P.M. update: I was up at Bolton this afternoon in the Timberline area skinning for some turns, and by the time I left around 4:00 P.M. it was really coming down at around an inch an hour with some much bigger flakes than I’d seen at any point today. That should really top off the denser snow nicely for turns tomorrow. The mountain had picked up about 5 inches by the time of their latest report at 3:50 P.M., but they should easily have another inch or two with the way it was coming down. Here at the house we picked up another 1.5 inches of snow in the noon to 6:00 P.M. timeframe, with the same liquid equivalent as the inch that fell this morning, so not too surprisingly, the density continued to drop as the storm progressed. Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3%

Temperature: 12.7F

Sky: Light Snow/Flurries

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

Final tally as best I can measure is 12.5" here. Surrounding towns are reporting 12-14 so I think that is fairly accurate. After the dry slot in the morning we picked up an additional 5" as it continued to snow into the evening with some decent bands that moved through.

8.5" for a storm total here. It's all over now but the wind which is still creaking around some in the trees but seems to have mellowed considerably.

The temp dropped steadily all day yesterday--starting out at 15F yesterday morning and getting down to 7F sometime last evening. This morning though, it's back up to 12 atm.

Looks like a fairly quiet week ahead. Here's to any kind of thaw being less than spectacular. ;)

Well, tough to measure this storm for certain. I estimate 19-20 inches. Even after some settling, that was the main number I kept getting. Lebanon did so well, I almost feel like I shouldn't be upset if we get screwed over the rest of the year. But this is New England, so I get orn-ry quick! haha

This is now two 20 inch snows in one year for me....one in VA on 12/19/09, and this one on 12/27. Score

Archived