• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Boxing Day 2010 Blizzard

MaineJayhawk

My peak was 30mph here, but I heard some decent roars that I could have swore was going to deliver a 40mph+ gust. So no verification of the blizzard warning here.

I had 6" at 4am when I konked out. Looks like we've managed most of the snow over the last few hours. Sanbornton was down to 1/16SM vis for about an hour in that same band that I was in so it was probably a few inches per hour.

Yeah, there was a fat stationary 25+ dbZ band that stretched from your location arcing through the Whites. Heavy snow for you, heavy jealousy at my end.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pixie dust mixed with some aggregates and aggravation. Gah!

There's a stationary front setting up out there from N to S from here into S ME. It's separating near 20F temps from near 30F. It seems that quasi-stationary band is setting up on the cold side of that boundary. It should keep pushing eastward. Hopefully Scott is awake at Weirs to see it.

There's a stationary front setting up out there from N to S from here into S ME. It's separating near 20F temps from near 30F. It seems that quasi-stationary band is setting up on the cold side of that boundary. It should keep pushing eastward. Hopefully Scott is awake at Weirs to see it.

I'm at 29.4F and yeah, I see that band on radar.

I was wondering if his warmish reading this morning was the result of a lake enhanced moderation....

Is Winnipesaukee frozen over? Only the bays and open across the broads? Dunno.

Anyway, still howling out there from the north with sideways snow. :popcorn:

I was wondering if his warmish reading this morning was the result of a lake enhanced moderation....

Is Winnipesaukee frozen over? Only the bays and open across the broads? Dunno.

Anyway, still howling out there from the north with sideways snow. :popcorn:

It made him a little warmer, but most of E NH got near 30F...it hit 29.7F here before the morning band setup and the temp crashed with it.

Up in Wilmington VT- nothing to measure with, but Mt Snow reporting 19 inches. Radar looks like we still have some nice bands to come through! Unfortunately, mountain is on partial wind hold, but the rest of the week will be smoking up here. I skiied Fri - Sun and the snow was okay, but this will be awesome (as long as it all doesn't go in the trees)!!

:ski:

It's interesting how there appears to be no precipitation falling over Plainfield according to Portland and Albany radar (I don't bother looking at BTV radar because it's signal is always so deteriorated over my location).... yet there is clearly still snow falling at a moderate pace. I'm not sure if it's because the beam is sampling too high up in the atmosphere (about 11,000 ft for both radars) or if it's just attenuation due to distance... but I'm not complaining. arrowheadsmiley.png

It's interesting how there appears to be no precipitation falling over Plainfield according to Portland and Albany radar (I don't bother looking at BTV radar because it's signal is always so deteriorated over my location).... yet there is clearly still snow falling at a moderate pace. I'm not sure if it's because the beam is sampling too high up in the atmosphere (about 11,000 ft for both radars) or if it's just attenuation due to distance... but I'm not complaining. arrowheadsmiley.png

It's the same thing here--a bit to your north. The ALB radar is good for what's coming (particularly when precip is coming from the south or southwest), the GYX, for what's overhead at the moment and the BTV radar, well, not so much except for NW upslope stuff well upstream.

Light snow still falling (up to 8.5" event total), temp still dropping (now 11F) and the wind seems to me mellowing some.

Looks like the last band is pivoting though here now and some upslope/convergence stuff kicking in in NW VT.

Just had a 42mph gust. 18.3F

edit...make that 44mph now

Sometimes I wish NH was as flat and treeless as Kansas. I keep hearing vicious gusts hitting the building and I look over to the VP2 console and it says like 16mph. I haven't been able to measure higher than 40mph today. :(

I'm going to end up putting a third anemometer on the peak of my roof. :arrowhead:

Wow, I see 18" being reported in Wells River, VT--deep in the CT River valley and often a very downsloped area.

Most impressive.

I have a colleague who lives in Woodsville (NH side of the river) and commutes to Montpelier. She said that it took her 2 hours to get in this morning. The gropund on one side of her car was bare, while the other side was drifted in whe she left for work.

Sometimes I wish NH was as flat and treeless as Kansas. I keep hearing vicious gusts hitting the building and I look over to the VP2 console and it says like 16mph. I haven't been able to measure higher than 40mph today. :(

I'm going to end up putting a third anemometer on the peak of my roof. :arrowhead:

Give it time...they're coming for you I think. There's another little snow band developing and moving over me. It's helping me get some stronger downdrafts and a few higher gusts.

Event totals: 2.1” Snow/0.15” L.E.

Monday 12/27/2010 12:00 P.M. update: The snowfall intensity is notably lighter now, and flake size is up making the density about half of what it was. Details from the noon observations are below:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0%

Temperature: 10.6F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Absolutely incredible snows right now...yes I'm telling the truth. There must be some low level moisture or something, cause the radar looks pathetic. I'm at work, so I haven no idea how much we have. I'm just guesstimating...15+ inches?

Yeah, still nothing over us on radar, but I measured about 17" at my stake and will take other measurements around the rest of the yard soon. It's still coming down pretty hard! This performed way beyond what I was expecting!

Yeah, still nothing over us on radar, but I measured about 17" at my stake and will take other measurements around the rest of the yard soon. It's still coming down pretty hard! This performed way beyond what I was expecting!

Yeah, wow. I saw that there was a band forming last night, from NJ all the way up, but I didn't expect it to continue thru this long. Man, the White Mts are getting creamed right now.

963.8 at ACK is the lowest pressure I could find. anyone know of any lower reports?

Thats the lowest I could find. Wow :)

put a fork in it. 8":whistle:

lol ... that's what I came here to do .. just finished shoveling. Noticed I am decidedly NOT in shoveling shape at this time. Took some measurements but it appears there was compaction. Still have 6.3" and I think that's a wrap for my Boxing Day Blizzard 2010. My 10-14" lock was busted.

I wonder if I got close to 20 inches from this event too. I'll have to measure when I get home, except I haven't measured the whole storm, so it will be a "snow on the ground" measure, not the official way. Its such a light and fluffy snow, that I'm sure its compacted by now. I will have to refer to surrounding amounts after I measure, to compare to see how close it is.

I wonder if I got close to 20 inches from this event too. I'll have to measure when I get home, except I haven't measured the whole storm, so it will be a "snow on the ground" measure, not the official way. Its such a light and fluffy snow, that I'm sure its compacted by now. I will have to refer to surrounding amounts after I measure, to compare to see how close it is.

There's really no other way to measure this because of the wind. Any spot you clear will just get filled right back in by blowing snow.

I just got power back after losing it for about 10 minutes. I was hoping for a 50mph gust, but I think I'll change my tune on that.

Archived