Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Just saw on world news. Bucks Co PA officially has worst air quality in the world attm. Not the best category to be in.

Took down the trash about 1/2 hour ago and it smells like a camp fire out there. Been indoors (A/C) all day so it hit me immediately. Oddly, I like the smell. May sit on the porch for a bit before hitting the sack. Small increments can't hurt...

58F/DP 40F   

6 hours ago, MsHeatMiser said:

Your central air should be fine to run. It’s just cooling and recirculating indoor air, not pulling outdoor air in. That said, the smell of smoke where I live is strong enough that I can detect it inside our (poorly insulated) house.

Okay thanks!  I know some around here some actually have intake and exhaust vents outside (including those with heat pumps) so I never really looked.

High was 75 and and it's currently a smokey 63 with dp 40 and vis. down to about a mile.

airnow-gov-1051pm-06072023.PNG

Guys, Earlier this spring I know many of you gave me the name drought man. While I do not mind, It was never my prediction  to bring all of this smoke with no humidity. I knew it was going to be bad with the drought since I was calling for this drought since February but this is ridiculous.  With two red flag warnings this week and additional fire special weather statements unless we get some beneficial rains on Monday- Tuesday, we are heading into a drought emergency and not just a warning.  The real killer  has been in the last 2-3 nights is  the lack of humidity in order to reach critical dewpoints. With no overnight moisture availability for the vegetation, once the smoke clears out and the heat returns, its into the oven for the vegetation. By the way look at the trend section below for the Lehigh Valley-  its really bad

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Macungie&state=PA&country=USA

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Took down the trash about 1/2 hour ago and it smells like a camp fire out there. Been indoors (A/C) all day so it hit me immediately. Oddly, I like the smell. May sit on the porch for a bit before hitting the sack. Small increments can't hurt...

58F/DP 40F   

Spent the last two days outside and still ticking

28 minutes ago, RedSky said:

40.5F low and a 37.9F near the Quakertown airport

Smoke induced cold

I don't know how radiational cooling could even be effective with a thick cloud of soot overhanging the area. :huh:  Must mean the cold air coming down from those Canadian providences thanks to that low up near there, is still pretty cold.

I did get down to 51 as a low this morning and currently have a hazy, smoke-filled overcast sky and a temp of 57, with dp 43.

Maybe a little less smoke out there this AM. Unfortunately it looks to continue to a lesser degree through much of the weekend. Our chilly spring continues as this morning's lows ranged from the mid to upper 40's across Chester County. This is a good 10 degrees below normal lows for this time of year. Low's tonight should again be in the 40's. Rain chances increase a bit by tomorrow PM and become likely by Sunday night into Monday. Let's all hope we get some rain!
Records for today: High 96 (1914) / Low 40 (1980) / Rain 2.77' (1955)
image.png.e12a0fa624503f9417fb9c99798bfb8b.png

My timing is impeccable having plans to go to NYC tomorrow, thru the weekend.  Someone get that retrograding low pressure to get out to sea and send me from winds from the south!

Seeing the worst of this was yesterday/today? Just asking since our activities do not include being inside.  An outdoor concert tomorrow night and touring lower Manhattan on Saturday. Clock ticking on cancellation time(s) to get full refund.  I think we aren't cancelling though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

My timing is impeccable having plans to go to NYC tomorrow, thru the weekend.  Someone get that retrograding low pressure to get out to sea and send me from winds from the south!

Seeing the worst of this was yesterday/today? Just asking since our activities do not include being inside.  An outdoor concert tomorrow night and touring lower Manhattan on Saturday. Clock ticking on cancellation time(s) to get full refund.  I think we aren't cancelling though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Air quality should be much improved by tomorrow. Down to yellow levels. https://gispub.epa.gov/airnow/?contours=ozonepm&monitors=pm25&tab=forecast&xmin=-9743963.054708954&xmax=-5047672.036868975&ymin=3777503.1052993187&ymax=5819900.501078686&forecastcontours=forecasttomorrow&forecastmonitors=forecasttomorrow

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I don't know how radiational cooling could even be effective with a thick cloud of soot overhanging the area. :huh:  Must mean the cold air coming down from those Canadian providences thanks to that low up near there, is still pretty cold.

I did get down to 51 as a low this morning and currently have a hazy, smoke-filled overcast sky and a temp of 57, with dp 43.

Nuclear winter effect- smoke has a greater effect on blocking solar radiation leading to cooling.

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Nuclear winter effect- smoke has a greater effect on blocking solar radiation leading to cooling.

Yeah, the same happens with volcanic ash (like what Mt. Kilauea is spewing in Hawai'i at the moment).  But I would think at night, it would act as a "blanket" and keep the "heat" in too.

I managed to get up to 75 today, with the sun out (or at least visible) much more than yesterday and am currently down to a sunny but hazy 73 with dp 43.

Got woken up by a light shower around 1am, not enough to tip the bucket. Normally I probably would have slept through it, but I guess the sound of water falling from the sky is so unusual these days it caught my attention.

65F/DP 50F