• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

Am still waiting for something more than drops.  The one cell that survived the early trip has been running along where the Schuylkill enters the city to the SW of me.  There are are some darker greens on radar but it's like the air is so dry that it's pretty much virga at the moment.

My lightning detector is picking up some convection although I'm not hearing any thunder.  Temp is down to 70 with dp 53.

• Like 1

.48"! Also, my neighbor is already up on a ladder inspecting his roof. Apparently there was a bad hail storm here in 2014, so if they didn't get theirs fixed back then, then I could see why they'd be concerned. However, we're still hearing thunder here and it's waaaay too soon to be getting up on a ladder, lol.

• Like 1

Smoke is unreal this evening, thought the sky was overcast but it’s just all smoke. Noticeable fog like haze as well. I haven’t seen it this bad since I was a kid… I want to say an early 2000s summer like 01 or 02 it was really bad from the Canadian wildfires too. Does anyone else remember that? Going to be a beautiful sunset though. The smell has me craving s’mores :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolHandMike said:

Holy cow. My wife opened the patio door for two seconds and now the house smells like a campfire. That's just insane.

Was driving home from somewhere and as soon as I stepped out of my car it was unbearable. Really bad here

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Holy cow. My wife opened the patio door for two seconds and now the house smells like a campfire. That's just insane.

Friend of mine works for Bucks County communications he’s getting inundated with 911 calls because of the smoke

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

View out front looks like we're on a more lush version of Tatooine. ("Second sun is a reflection from the window in front of my security  camera.) I've only ever seen that far tree line obscured in such a way due to fog though.

YtDmHk1.png

Tried to post about Tatooine earlier but the file was too large

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Tried to post about Tatooine earlier but the file was too large

Learned a while back from this forum to use my imgur account and post the direct link here. It's never been easier: Shift-Windowskey-S (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) to capture the snapshot, then use Ctrl-V to paste it into your open imgur page, then copy the "Direct" link and paste it here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Learned a while back from this forum to use my imgur account and post the direct link here. It's never been easier: Shift-Windowskey-S (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) to capture the snapshot, then use Ctrl-V to paste it into your open imgur page, then copy the "Direct" link and paste it here.

Must be an image hosting site? Had a photobucket account that I used until they started charging years ago. Got to :oldman: to search an alternative.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Just received a text from Montgomery County about an “influx” of 911 calls regarding the smoke.

Very real problem. How could you tell if its a fire far away or a new fire close by. I remember some bad wild fires in Canada back in the early 2000's and we got a little bit of smoke but never like this I can smell it getting in the house

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

4:15am, moon looks like a peach/orange/smoke smell, odd, but super cool.

49F/DP 45F

May crank some Allman Brothers tunes for the occasion...

allman.jpg

Blue Sky on a smoky day....

52F here...can't beat these temps, though I think the lightning bugs (and people with pools) would like it a few degrees warmer.

• Like 1

Some spots like here in East Nantmeal did pick up a brief shower - we picked up 0.03" we take!! The smoke continues to be a problem across the area...we may see a brief clearing of smoke this morning before another plume builds across the county by later today. Temperatures should remain below normal for the rest of the work week. Before a brief warmup to above normal by Sunday. Shower chances increase by Friday night and again on Sunday night.

Of interest, while I did record 1 day last summer that rounded to 90 degrees (89.7 on July 23rd) I have not recorded a day that exceeded 90 degrees in almost 2 years!! The last time being June 30, 2021 when we hit 91.2 degrees here in East Nantmeal Township. I think it is likely we see no 90 degree days here in Chester County for the rest of June.
Records for today: 97 (1899) / Low 42 (1949) / Rain 2.94" (2013)
image.png.2f54c2c92672ce76dd4ce2dcf0bf852a.png