• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

Plenty of spots across the county hit 90 degrees including my poorly placed roof top thermometer which hit 93 degrees. However, my 2 ground based thermometers could do no better than around 89 degrees. Much cooler today through the rest of the upcoming week with temps remaining in the 70's.
Records for today: 98 (1919) / 36 (1986) / Rain 1.16" (1978)
image.png.97488cdc8a2fa9763dae3c0a5ab2d748.png

25 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

On a typical Saturday morning in June, the neighborhood would be buzzing with the sound of lawnmowers. Not today, just brown grass and chirping birds.

71F/DP 62F

Interesting point. NGL, it's been kinda nice. Although yesterday I heard one of my neighbors mowing around noon, but it turned out to be professional lawncare service. I'm guessing those guys know how to work in all kinds of weather, but still. Yesterday got hot.

14 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Interesting point. NGL, it's been kinda nice. Although yesterday I heard one of my neighbors mowing around noon, but it turned out to be professional lawncare service. I'm guessing those guys know how to work in all kinds of weather, but still. Yesterday got hot.

Neighbors came this morning.They may be under contract to come once a week. I would have told the lawn service not to come because their lawn will get fried this week. But other than that, it's been quiet. I think it was 2 weeks ago yesterday the last time I mowed...

2 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Big pop-up heading my way. It woke me up with a huge crash of thunder. I was in bed, trying to sleep off a massive sinus headache... ugh.

Was hoping you were in the path of that - at least for the rain potential!!!!  Looks like most of it is moving south but to the far west of me so I don't think I'll get anything.

So far it appears the cold front has been oozing in here with overcast skies as I did reach a high of 76 earlier today but am now down to 65 with dp slowly starting to drop, and now at 57.

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Was hoping you were in the path of that - at least for the rain potential!!!!  Looks like most of it is moving south but to the far west of me so I don't think I'll get anything.

So far it appears the cold front has been oozing in here with overcast skies as I did reach a high of 76 earlier today but am now down to 65 with dp slowly starting to drop, and now at 57.

Yup, got .12". This, combined with yesterday's .06" should help green up things a little bit around here. And, there's finally rainwater in my rain barrel that I installed a month ago. Not much, but some.

44 minutes ago, RedSky said:

45F

The ground is dry so that it enhances any radiational cooling, like you see in naturally dry areas or the desert!

I remember being on a training trip to Colorado over 30 years ago in August and how it would get up to the 90s during the day but drop down to the 40s at night. That was somewhat expected being a mountain climate but the thermodynamics was on display.

I bottomed out at 51 and am currently clear and 53, with a very high thin deck of clouds, and dp 50.

Our morning low was a below average 48.1 Another mainly dry week in store across the county. High temperatures look to average near normal while overnight lows look to be below normal through much of the week. Normal highs are in the mid to upper 70's with lows in the mid to upper 50's. Our best chance of a little rain looks to be Tuesday night. There are some hints across the longer term models of a wetter period possibly developing by later this weekend into next week.
Records for today: High 97 (1925) / Low 39 (1948) / Rain 2.39" (1970)
image.png.51c10a9da066711d23526a0c87226372.png

The 15 day models are promoting  a major hurricane in the GOM.  If that happens, Cat 4-5 maybe Camille or Katrina style. However, that will cut off any available moisture for us until the the remnants of the potential storm dies out over the US. Until then, we will be in a drought warning next week- 3 weeks too late IMHO. I see a drought by the end of the month.  In the LV , the newspapers and other media are talking about it drought everyday now. The Little lehigh has gravel bars exposed in places now. Pictures/videos of dry trout stream beds with dead trout in the next two-three weeks are coming.   I am waiting for the next hot topic- well drillers going deeper for existing wells will become too busy to get to everyone to redrill as residential shallow wells start to go dry. Corn ans soybean yeilds will be down 25-50% too.

• Weenie 1