Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Drought 2023

nwohweather

8 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

It's 1871 all over again...

I was doing some reading on that also. Hopefully firework bans go into effect if it keeps dry after this upcoming system. Great Lakes area may get a bad fire season. Lots of fuel to go around. But on the plus side we don’t have the logging practices like back in the day

While it’s been very dry recently, the changing pattern next week looks much more favorable for rain across our sub. We don’t usually do dry very well these days around here. If anything is agw fueled, it’s the extra moisture we get around here in the summer. It seems like an eternity since dewpoints have been as low as they’ve been recently in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, roardog said:

While it’s been very dry recently, the changing pattern next week looks much more favorable for rain across our sub. We don’t usually do dry very well these days around here. If anything is agw fueled, it’s the extra moisture we get around here in the summer. It seems like an eternity since dewpoints have been as low as they’ve been recently in the summer. 

That's the one thing that has struck me more than anything so far this summer - the low dewpoints. I can't remember a stretch where they have been, on average, as low as they've been.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nelson said:

That's the one thing that has struck me more than anything so far this summer - the low dewpoints. I can't remember a stretch where they have been, on average, as low as they've been.

Other than lack of rain, I am not sure anyone is complaining about the low dewpoints.  Except for our resident palm tree lover.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

good luck telling a bunch of freedom loving patriots in indiana and wisconsin they can't blow stuff up

I’m not sure if you’re joking or not, but freedom isn’t free, and my uncle gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country. Be blessed to live in the greatest nation, people died for this freedom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

brutal and getting worse quick, our own regional wildfires can't be far away, especially with the 4th right there around the corner

A trailer lost a tire and sparked a brush fire along I-39 north of Bloomington today.

Some of the grassland areas are looking dicey. We'll keep the home show under wraps this year.
  • Like 1

Looking back at the last 31 days, can certainly see the flash drought. Temperature rankings are based on mean maximum temperatures, which mitigates the urban heat island effects.

I didn't realize it had been so warm, since a lot of the heat has been disguised in the means by somewhat cooler minima due to the dryness. Just by way of example, Moline is 2nd warmest by mean maximum temperature in the last 30 days, but would only be 13th if measured by mean. Chicago is 8th by mean maximum, but only 15th if measured by mean. For more extreme examples, Lansing is 7th warmest by mean maximum, but only 19th if measured by mean. Detroit is 9th warmest by mean maximum, but only 33th if measured by mean. Toledo is 6th warmest by mean maximum, but only 32nd if measured by mean.

Moline, IL: Driest on record, 2nd warmest on record

image.png.6d3927c87fce40146f98abb872dc552c.png

image.png.593e20e33304dc1ef8797e503d6db482.png

Minneapolis, MN: 6th driest on record, 4th warmest on record

image.png.9daa830fc65de39f4c3c494ecf199cc3.png

image.png.7ae599442b3c02234c206904f04e0307.png

Chicago, IL (16th driest on record, 8th warmest on record)

image.png.1c13e8f8c6fd145f5634a36473111285.png

image.png.9a966275d053b461034a3087fc5fd144.png

Green Bay, WI (Driest on record, 3rd warmest on record)

image.png.0eb26cf41e95d054a72fac0d2b604667.png

image.png.b33bfa29e8d70fc238a0654005df9bf8.png

Duluth, MN (2nd Driest on record, 5th warmest on record)

image.png.5de25d1289fbd7d208701b0c0cc74bec.png

image.png.db7ed5cebc1590eb2f65b1b5f69eadac.png

Lansing, MI (Driest on record, 7th warmest on record)

image.png.4528fd95fd854ebb460dbdfa605f476c.png

image.png.01f28ed5a3ada7bd534dd63e29a50cba.png

Detroit, MI (2nd driest on record, 9th warmest on record)

image.png.4e6980e6da1bbcdb5e0e4c7ca68d1f10.png

image.png.294c2b8bab953f48512ea672f58fee4b.png

Toledo, OH (Driest on record, 6th warmest on record)

image.png.be89544cef1e01e40008ebe1d6a81924.png

image.png.9fa28a1d599dbedd12649cc9449e8c1c.png

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

Yes, everyone in Illinois follows the ban and doesn't shoot off fireworks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Michigan abolished the fireworks ban a few years ago.  The only difference before/after has basically been where you buy your fireworks.  

On 6/8/2023 at 1:25 PM, roardog said:

I see a lot of miss south stank for MBY even if the pattern improves marginally.  El Nino is such a b****.  Never in my life has a summer been as boring as this one.  Not even any heat.  Just cool dry and boring.  The new San Diego.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I see a lot of miss south stank for MBY even if the pattern improves marginally.  El Nino is such a b****.  Never in my life has a summer been as boring as this one.  Not even any heat.  Just cool dry and boring.  The new San Diego.

No heat?  How many 90 degree days has GRR had?  I count 5 so far.  That doesn't sound like no heat.  You could make a case for lower humidity than normal.

There’s been so much summer warmth and high dewpoints in recent years that I think it’s skewed the perception of what summer can be here. Last summer felt like a somewhat cool summer to me with those stretches of comfortable temps and low dewpoints but the reality is that it wasn’t really cool at all in the end. I think our last real cool summer month was August 2017. Six years is a long time. 

58 minutes ago, roardog said:

There’s been so much summer warmth and high dewpoints in recent years that I think it’s skewed the perception of what summer can be here. Last summer felt like a somewhat cool summer to me with those stretches of comfortable temps and low dewpoints but the reality is that it wasn’t really cool at all in the end. I think our last real cool summer month was August 2017. Six years is a long time. 

Agree.  We have had a lot of summers with much above overnight lows.  Having the low due points has allowed for much cooler overnight/morning lows for us the past couple summers.  Plus being so dry with loads of sun, our day time temps easily recover.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like a few tenths at most tonight, and that's it for the next 10+ days.  Drought ramping up quickly to be sure.

Models have struggled to figure out this system.  Some models show little or nothing here, while a couple suggest a decent fgen band could pop over us.  I hope we get something because, as you say, it's right back into the dry abyss through 7-10 days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Models have struggled to figure out this system.  Some models show little or nothing here, while a couple suggest a decent fgen band could pop over us.  I hope we get something because, as you say, it's right back into the dry abyss through 7-10 days.

The 3km was showing decent rains earlier yesterday, but has since backed off.  I'm going with 0.00-0.10" for here.  Anything less than an inch is pretty much worthless anyway at this point.  Need a good 2-3"+ soaker which obv ain't happening.  

jggfjfhjfh.jpg

• Like 1

Man your sprinklers:

HAVE MADE SUBSTANTIAL DOWNWARD TRENDS   
IN QPF PER RECENT GUIDANCE, WITH A VAST MAJORITY OF THE CWA LIKELY  
SEEING AROUND 0.1" OR LESS THROUGH SUNDAY. THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL  
HAS ALSO BEEN REMOVED FROM THE REMAINING SOUTHERN CWA IN THE   
ABSENCE OF SUFFICIENT LAPSE RATES AND WITH THE SOUTHERN SHIFT IN   
GUIDANCE. 

• Haha 1