• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Drought 2023

nwohweather

I figured I'd start the conversation here. My house has only a seen little bit of rain last on May 19th. It looks like we could reasonably make a run at nearly a month between rain drops which is something I personally have never seen in this region. Also current conditions at my house are 90° with a dewpoint of 42° which is another insane statistic.

image.png.f75e16401952995387577f82af1fdca2.png

Central Iowa got good rain this morning, but that complex lifted north.  More storms have popped over there again, while there is nothing around here.  Once again, today's Euro doesn't have a drop of rain here through day 10.  A couple months ago I posted that I was glad to get rid of the la nina drought summers.  I certainly didn't expect el nino would be worse.

• Sad 1

Pop-up tsra around the area the last couple days; take it over nothing of course but no drought-buster. Training MCS season is desperately needed. Perhaps light at the end of the tunnel around mid-month if the CFS/GFS are to be believed; although where the pattern sets up will determine the haves/have-nots.

The constant dry and completely sunny conditions day after day here with the low humidity is concerning in the long run. Hoping for a pattern flip in a couple weeks. Was in another wood lot today in Monroe county and it was all dry and ground cracking in spots with sun. Some of the smaller brush species are drying up considerably. Few more weeks of this and we could have some problems. Hopefully DNR did a good job with their prescribed fires this year. Areas of forest is the north is another concern as well. A couple MCS or MCV to roll through would be beneficial but only time will tell. The more consistent heat waves coming in from Canada is another’s interesting note I’ll have to find the article I read up on it. Used to the humid air from the south

Day 13 of no precip and if we don't get any tomorrow on the weak back door front, I don't see us getting any for at least 10 more days. It is going to get bad fast here. We only had .92 last month to begin with, so it wasn't like the other 20 days last month were wet either.

23 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Day 13 of no precip and if we don't get any tomorrow on the weak back door front, I don't see us getting any for at least 10 more days. It is going to get bad fast here. We only had .92 last month to begin with, so it wasn't like the other 20 days last month were wet either.

Heading into the driest part of the year, things can quickly spiral out of control. Corn is wilting here already. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

The Euro shows pockets of teen dewpoints Tuesday evening over northern IL.  That is pretty astounding to say the least.

Even has low 20 degree dews on Wednesday afternoon over western IL.  Pretty interesting stuff.

Overdone, Euro has had an issue with being too dry on dew points since the last upgrade, my guess the dews end up in the 30s or 40s

Euro is a dry back-to-back back-door cold front fest regularly re-enforced New England troughing straight into the middle of June gigantic turd.  :axe:  If it's going to drought might as well be hot.  This "cool" dry shit is the absolute most boring pattern ever.  Great Lakes = New Atacama Desert.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Mine will be, too.  I'm watering my garden every day or two and I'm now watering the dry-sensitive parts of the lawn as well so it does not die.

Glad I am on a well so we can easily water the garden.  Too much lawn for me to even bother with the positive being I save gas money as I don't need to mow much!!

I’ve been watering every day…this bentgrass lawn is a water whore. c3c701d4360006b59652635a26b728cb.jpg

I joined the board because of the OG Morch. You were a prolific poster back then under another name. I thought you were a trip but not in a bad way. As a cold lover you get on my nerves when you start jonesing for spring but seeing this I get it man. Never change.
  • Like 2