• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
June 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

I don't think I've seen a 36 dew point in Toledo in June, other than today. And what a firey day it is, with higher surface smoke concentrations. It does appear that dew points of upper 20's to lower 30's have happened at a combination of FNT and DTX sounding locations at some past time

sfc dew point.jpg

• Like 1

A bit hard to see in the video, but there’s a pretty gross layer of smog to the east over Lake Michigan today. Camera doesn’t pick it up well but it’s the gross orange color that smog typically looks like. Glad it’s just missing me to the east it’s pretty clear here in Wisconsin today.

• Like 2

Looks like MSP is off to an absolutely scorching start to summer. Second warmest on record for first eight days of June, and would have been first if it occurred during or before 2020. Third warmest when measured by mean maximum to minimize impacts of growing UHI.

Wouldn't have expected this with the northerly flow and wildfire smoke limiting insolation.

image.png.fb54e214a6705181d6a95f221809cede.png

image.png.e191ad84dc1c34f1ed1b0b8f272b0772.png

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like MSP is off to an absolutely scorching start to summer. Second warmest on record for first eight days of June, and would have been first if it occurred during or before 2020. Third warmest when measured by mean maximum to minimize impacts of growing UHI.

Wouldn't have expected this with the northerly flow and wildfire smoke limiting insolation.

image.png.fb54e214a6705181d6a95f221809cede.png

image.png.e191ad84dc1c34f1ed1b0b8f272b0772.png

It’s been unpleasant working outside. Luckily so far we haven’t had the extreme 70+ dews like last summer. I’m already over this crap, and ready for coastal ridges and central CONUS troughs. 

• Weenie 2

Last measurable rain here was on May 19th with 0.13".  Still goose eggs for June.  Hope tomorrow night gives us something.
18z NAMs backed off unfortunately, so the 12z Euro is the only model current model run of note to offer up a chance at a decent rain of 0.70 to locally 1" across northern IL. Since the setup will be cool season-like with a banded fgen component, the model variance is at least partially driven by the difference in placement of the response to the fgen circulation. Hopefully we're not north of the cutoff.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Showers moving through here today in town. Shwrs/stms yesterday fizzled as they arrived from the NW, so missed out on them. Very cool out right now at 54. Dropped 10 degrees from 8 am as wind switched off the lake. Far cry from the 81 we had yesterday with dews of 55-60. It was very nice.

Just a thought here, but with all the smoke that has been wafting around our region the last few weeks, it must have an effect on precip development. I liken it to the same phenomena as Sahara dust over the Atlantic inhibiting precip/stm development to some degree. I'm not sure, just throwing that out there. Someone with more knowledge could answer that better.

25 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Just a thought here, but with all the smoke that has been wafting around our region the last few weeks, it must have an effect on precip development. I liken it to the same phenomena as Sahara dust over the Atlantic inhibiting precip/stm development to some degree. I'm not sure, just throwing that out there. Someone with more knowledge could answer that better.

Northerly flow with due points in the 20s/30s/40s in May and June with and Omega blocking high over the Great Lakes region is the main reason.  Plenty of smoke last weekend as storms popped up with dew points finally more summer like at that time.  The influence is small if really any at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian D said:

Studies I’ve read indicate that smoke or dust decreases warm process precip, but increases cold process precip.  In midlatitudes it could increase snow in the winter, but the summer effect would be negligible as both processes are equally important.  It would only decreases precip in places in which the majority of it falls from shallow warm clouds, i.e. tropical oceanic climates in the trade wind belts, Hawaii for instance.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Really liking how tonight's precip odds have.... quite literally.... evaporated.

qpf_acc-imp.us_mw.png

Sad.  There might be some wrap-around sprinkles here Monday night or Tuesday, but I’d rather these stupid spinning lows move on out.  The longer they hang back the longer they push back the return to normal summer with MCS potential.  If that even happens this year at all.  :unsure:

4 hours ago, frostfern said:

Sad.  There might be some wrap-around sprinkles here Monday night or Tuesday, but I’d rather these stupid spinning lows move on out.  The longer they hang back the longer they push back the return to normal summer with MCS potential.  If that even happens this year at all.  :unsure:

Feels like we're tracking a winter storm with the upcoming system

• Haha 1

Hi All, was too busy to post thsi yesterday, but the 06z GFS yesterday morning had a monster glitch in the matrix where it had 15"+ for SW Ohio/Dayton area for the next 16 days!  Not sure I've ever seen a model screw up this bad! The last time I had a day of 1" of rain or more was mid-April, and nothing over a half inch since May 7. So on pins and needles today with ILN's 1" to 1.5" in the forcast with later this afternoon and evening that my Kentucky Brown Grass desperately needs (and so my wife will stop bellyaching about me watering so much), I'm like I'm only keeping it alive, I haven't mowed in 3 1/2 weeks!

06z_GFS_15_Inches_of_Rain_Glitch_06102023.JPG

• Like 1