Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

2 minutes ago, roardog said:

It’s even causing visibility restrictions at the surface. If I had a forest nearby, I would think it’s on fire. lol

Air quality starting to go downhill in Michigan from north to south. Looking like it’s slowly creeping into the lower half of the peninsula 

IMG_4602.jpeg

2 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Air quality starting to go downhill in Michigan from north to south. Looking like it’s slowly creeping into the lower half of the peninsula 

IMG_4602.jpeg

There was/is a 3500 acre wildfire near grayling that has shut down i75 for most of the day today

After the back door front came through it’s nice to have it in the 60s still. Last few days it was in the 80s at this time. Noticed the next batch of smoke coming in from the NE on the GOES satellite. Air quality looks rough along Lake Michigan looks like some indications of surface based smoke if anyone from over that way can confirm

2 hours ago, TheNiño said:

This was the other day here in southern Wisconsin at the lake. Just thought I’d share since you did.

Edit: This is the sun at sunrise not the moon.

IMG_3678.jpeg

IMG_3673.jpeg

Definitely a cool effect from the smoke.  Though I am glad it is gone here today as I prefer a pure blue sky.

On 6/2/2023 at 9:41 AM, roardog said:

The problem is as soon as you get some wind to mix it up, it'll cool down. It takes more than a couple weeks of warmth to warm up such a big, deep body of water. It's pretty deceiving really. The water temp there could easily be cooler on the 4th of July than it is now.

Or you try to swim in it and your legs below the knees are freezing.

On 6/4/2023 at 7:13 PM, michsnowfreak said:

The moon last night here

FB_IMG_1685920378776.jpg

Today was some of the haziest weather I have seen without being close to a wildfire. I drove to work after sunrise and the sun was red. I smelled smoke briefly yesterday, I think a couple of times. When I lived out West, I smelled smoke from -distant- fires on several days over the course of several years. And then there were the close wild fires in Colorado, and that is not necessarily something I need to compare to weather today in Ohio.

Finally, the HRRR shows integrated smoke density and surface smoke density correctly. Both values are very high over my area. I'm not sure what happened at NCEP before but it didn't correctly have these variables over a week ago.