• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

Thought it was just my 2009 Corolla because I don't really care how it looks anymore, but I realized this morning that every car left outside has a grubby, dusty film all over it from the combination of prolonged dryness, air quality issues and construction zones everywhere. I ran the windshield sprayers to clear it out of my view and the fluid ran down black and streaked when the wipers hit it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Drought expansion has begun.

image.thumb.png.4a3b91f6d8e087495891eaafaa7cdf9b.png

This keeps up moderate drought will rapidly makes its way into IN, OH, and MI. Was NW of Howell yesterday and was in a white pine/Norway spruce patch of woods and that whole area is dry like a tinderbox. I’m concerned with increasing wildfire danger in the next few weeks in the lower half of Michigan 

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Thought it was just my 2009 Corolla because I don't really care how it looks anymore, but I realized this morning that every car left outside has a grubby, dusty film all over it from the combination of prolonged dryness, air quality issues and construction zones everywhere. I ran the windshield sprayers to clear it out of my view and the fluid ran down black and streaked when the wipers hit it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Plus all the trees are blowing pollen and crap around.

3rd driest May on record here TH, and 4th driest in Duluth. Yet everything is still really green from the abundant snowmelt. Have only seen scattered stms the past couple days across the area, so very hit n miss on that front.

Two Harbors

1976 0.08 

1915 0.31 

*2023 0.36 

1990 0.69

1948 0.73

Duluth (tied 4th)

1871 0.00

1976 0.15

1900 0.62

1967/*2023 0.80

1980 0.82

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Plus all the trees are blowing pollen and crap around.

True.

Tried to wash the Corolla after work today and the automated car wash at the Kwik Trip went stupid and just stopped in the middle of the cycle. The driver in front of me had to back out with his car still covered in soap, and they closed the wash since no one there knew how to service it. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Where's your heat island in January?

It’s quite strong in January. It’ll be -12F at the airport and -20s outside the urban core. In fact we would have probably broken our all time snowfall record if it weren’t for marginal temps during a few event. Our suburban WFO was around 12” higher on seasonal snowfall then the official measuring spot at the airport. 

7 hours ago, nwohweather said:

FYI I started a drought thread. It's been pretty remarkable to see and I appreciate @SolidIcewx's comments about the wildfire danger. I would not be shocked to see brush fires or even forest fires take place with this extreme heat, lack of humidity & breezy conditions.

An excerpt from KIND's HWO

WWA Summary by Location for 40.05N 86.47W with INZ037/INC011/INZ037 emphasis Air Quality Alert (weather.gov)

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Friday through Wednesday. Elevated fire weather conditions Friday through Wednesday.

12 hours ago, frostfern said:

I heard soft rumble thunder and didn’t believe it because almost every direction out the window looked clear.  There’s a tiny cell moving in from the SE.  Might be the last rain I see for the next week though.

Damn thing is going to miss just west though.  Ugh. :thumbsdown:

Same thing here.  I did manage to sneak in 0.26" around 11:00 last night.  Kinda surprised me given it was well after dark and the radar was clear in my area when it started.