• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discobs 2023

George BM

Wpc keeps lowering expected rainfall amounts Monday with every update... I know the weather doesn't listen to human predictions but that's not a good sign. 

It’s still pretty dry outside today and, of course, there’s a breeze because that’s what we do now. This pattern just does not want to allow much in the way of any flow from the south. Maybe tomorrow and Monday will feel more like summer, regardless of precip.

12 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Lightning bugs!!!

Yeah we've been seeing them increasing in numbers.  Pesky 40s lows have been keeping them away it seems.  And too, this year, by far has been the latest that we've seen our first!

I have to get out with the SLR more when we peak!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

yea low 100s aqi isnt exactly great. anyone know when we will be able to flush this air out?

Not really sure if that's new smoke or just the increasing humidity creating more haze with whatever residual stuff is there.  Whatever the case, we need a more active southern stream...like asap.

Was visiting friends at their cabin NW of Allentown, PA this past weekend...we had an HOUR, a whole HOUR...of rain on Friday afternoon up there. It was merely enough to create that ugly splotchy pattern in the pollen on my car...and it didn't alleviate the restriction for burning, so no bonfires.  :( 

Was downright chilly on Friday nite up there, but beautiful yesterday and today...high 70s in the day, low 60s at night. Returning home today....90 degrees IMBY, but with a gorgeous breeze. So nice. Anyone experiencing a return of the smoke?

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

Not really sure if that's new smoke or just the increasing humidity creating more haze with whatever residual stuff is there.  Whatever the case, we need a more active southern stream...like asap.

Looking at the HRRR smoke product, there appears to be some fires down in NC, and the plume is being pushed due north into our area. Nothing like what was coming from Canada, but apparently we are surrounded by fires :axe:

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

The STJ is generally weak during summer- just don't have the temp gradient that exists in winter. The midlatitudes get pretty hot, esp over land masses. The emerging Nino plus lowering sun angle moving into Fall and winter should jack up the southern stream. Juiced up flow and rain chances for our region in summer usually come courtesy of HP in the western Atlantic, combined with cold fronts that manage to press far enough southeastward.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’ll hug the euro. 0.5-1” tomorrow than a stationary cut off starting next Sunday that drops another 1-3”.

Euro seems to be really bad a precip maximums of late in the east coast of US. Wonder if the folks on the other side of the pond tweaked something?

The STJ is generally weak during summer- just don't have the temp gradient that exists in winter. The midlatitudes get pretty hot, esp over land masses. The emerging Nino plus lowering sun angle moving into Fall and winter should jack up the southern stream. Juiced up flow and rain chances for our region in summer usually come courtesy of HP in the western Atlantic, combined with cold fronts that manage to press far enough southeastward.

Makes sense. Yea, I was gonna say earlier that I think most of our summer rain is from shortwaves or frontal passage swinging through with a return flow or sticky airmass in place. We’ve definitely been missing the latter, for whatever reason. Even today doesn’t feel all that humid…certainly a little less than I expected.

• H2O unpinned this topic