Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discobs 2023

George BM

10 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

Torrential rain in Dorchester.

At least some places are getting something other than smoke.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
DEC005-081645-
/O.NEW.KPHI.SV.W.0062.230608T1602Z-230608T1645Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1202 PM EDT Thu Jun 8 2023

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Sussex County in southern Delaware...

* Until 1245 PM EDT.

* At 1201 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Sharptown,
  or 11 miles southeast of Hurlock, moving east at 35 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Minor damage to vehicles is possible. Wind damage to
           roofs, siding, trees, and power lines is possible.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

DEC005-081645-

* Until 1245 PM EDT.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Minor damage to vehicles is possible. Wind damage to
           roofs, siding, trees, and power lines is possible.

Still getting smoked, just in a different way.

30 minutes ago, CAPE said:

DEC005-081645-

* Until 1245 PM EDT.

I drove through it from Reliance to Williamsburg, easily over 1" of rain in the downpours

• Like 1

Smoke seems to be getting a little lighter at ground level in Albemarle, but it looks as thick as it has all day overhead. Maybe a product of the sun angle at noon?

219 reading to our East at Zion Crossroads (Louisa). The Hollymead sensor on PurpleAir north of town has been reading low the past few days, seems like it's somewhat protected, maybe indoors.

20 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Wonder if the winds just shifted or something, because we just had a huge drop in the amount of smokiness in Leesburg

20230608_124517.jpg

The HRRR smoke very clearly shows the low-level smoke concentrations dropping this afternoon, especially for areas northwest of DC.

Consistent with reports in this thread, low-level smoke concentrations are dropping in areas north and northwest of DC.   Still lousy air but some modest improvement:

image.thumb.png.4f034c96ba4339f0a981aa67a8b99f5f.png

The HRRR smoke products have been consistently showing this scenario.    Here is the latest run's forecast for low-level smoke later this afternoon.

image.png.5fdbdf694590c5e99e612b56752dfb85.png

Tomorrow, unfortunately, looks worse again:

image.png.a13d6183920dde5be6f498497b83698c.png

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I had a brief rain shower of 0.02".

Quick question: does precipitation help the air quality situation in any way, or is there no effect?

I would imagine it helps in the immediate term, but the prevailing winds could eventually bring in smoke from other areas.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Quick question: does precipitation help the air quality situation in any way, or is there no effect?

Spoke with a met at work who specializes in pollution of all things. They said in a briefing today you really need the equivalent of about 0.25" of rain before the air is cleaned out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, mappy said:

So after a steady drop, levels are rising again at home. Was about 150s a couple hours ago, pushing 200 again. 

Mt. Vernon (closest reporting sensor to me) recorded a high of 403 (!) at 7:40 a.m. today and we've gradually dropping back down to the mid  190's about since about an hour ago. BUT, like you, on the upward rebound, and back up to 205 right now. Gotta find a mask and then get out there to quickly mow the front lawn. Smoke generally doesn't bother me, but there's a unique stench to this stuff...ugh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Mt. Vernon (closest reporting sensor to me) recorded a high of 403 (!) at 7:40 a.m. today and we've gradually dropping back down to the mid  190's about since about an hour ago. BUT, like you, on the upward rebound, and back up to 205 right now. Gotta find a mask and then get out there to quickly mow the front lawn. Smoke generally doesn't bother me, but there's a unique stench to this stuff...ugh.

The purpleair site is lovely, and that little box that opens you can actually download it as a csv file and see each reading and time in a table format. I can go back to the 6/5 when levels were in the teens/20s and all the way to today. #datanerd 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

The purpleair site is lovely, and that little box that opens you can actually download it as a csv file and see each reading and time in a table format. I can go back to the 6/5 when levels were in the teens/20s and all the way to today. #datanerd 

Agreed, the stat tracking on PurpleAir is awesome. It's funny, Google started throwing that color coded AQI index number at the lower left corner of our smart screens late last year which I never really paid that much attention to except on high pollen days this past spring. Those numbers have never reached the ugly reds, maroons and purples that we have this week, though. :yikes:

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

My team does data analytics for a government client. Talk about nerding out and going down serious data rabbit holes on this stuff...

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

My team does data analytics for a government client. Talk about nerding out and going down serious data rabbit holes on this stuff...

I seriously had a fleeting thought to put it all in GIS and make an animation before reminding myself I had actual billable work to do lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I lived in Santiago Chile for a winter (when the AQ is just horrific) - and I do recall that when it rained, the air was much clearer for a while afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, frd said:

Afternoon WPC appears to have lessened QFP early next in our area. The heaviest rainfall is well North and well SW  

Monday into Monday night still looks good for showers and a few t-storms on guidance. Who cares if more rain falls well SW/NE, as there is a high probability for some widespread rains through our region. A half inch to an inch is a major win at this point. We beggars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

2 hours ago, mappy said:

I seriously had a fleeting thought to put it all in GIS and make an animation before reminding myself I had actual billable work to do lol 

Some may see it as nerding...but I absolutely LOVE the access to the WIDE range of data that many of us have access to in our professional lives in the 2020's. Perhaps too much data at times. But to the extent that we can improve our analysis of trends, averages, means, etc. -- absolutely, bring it on and let's dive in.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Have to wonder how this affects wildlife.  Birds are still very chirpy here.

Good observation. Same thing with the birds in my neck in the woods, they seem to be unaffected by the pall of smoke. I just took the dog for an (unmasked!) 20 min walk, and I'm astounded that despite the light winds (probably 10-15 mph) in our area, and which actually feel quite nice....they don't really seem to be scouring out the haze and smoke "up there."

So, even with light breezes, 30' - 40' treetops that are only 1-3 houses away distance-wise, seem to be perpetually shrouded in the haze/smoke. I know I've shared this observation a couple times today already but...I've never seen anything like this in my lifetime.

• H2O unpinned this topic